Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 17,274 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is going to be working at Arvest in Lowell and I will be going to UofA this fall. I have one 5 yr old and a 2 year old, my oldest will be in kindergarten this year. I need some advice on the town to rent in. Fayetteville would be my first choice because of the Farmer's market, good schools, outdoor activities, but the rent seems outrageous here. I'd like to keep my rent below $850 a month as we are trying to save to buy in 2 years after I graduate and we have to pay for daycare which is so expensive! I have found alot of nicer homes in Rogers and Springdale, but Springdale scares me because I've heard it can have really bad parts of town, example we found a nice home for $700 on Jade st, close to Bayari school but the neighbors didn't look too friendly or clean when we drove around. So we asked the police station and they said they had several calls to that area, and that exact address. Domestic, Car burglary, one personal burglary (guy was punched and they stole his wallet) So, we decided that one was OUT! I've looked at the commute from Rogers to U of A and it's 33 min according to google maps, but I assume at least 15 more with traffic. I have one class that until 2:20 in the afternoon and I need to be able to pick my daughter up from school at like 3:00.....

I just can't decide if the cheaper rent and larger availability in Rogers is worth the drive. Also does any one know a reliable website to look up the crime for a certain neighborhood? I hate to keep calling to police station. Also the Springdale police said there's alot of gangs in Rogers that come down to Springdale? is this dangerous gangs?

Sorry it's so long, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Lowell has some affordable nice rentals. Are you looking for a rental house or an apartment? I would also check with some of the larger property management firms, like Lindsey or Harris-McHaney, because they have houses and duplexes that are reasonably priced and maintained, scattered throughout the area.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
The neighborhoods around the Lowell Arvest Bank are very nice. You shouldn't have a problem at all finding a good place there, and from there to the UofA is a quick drive, once you learn the shortcuts.

Yes, there are gangs in Rogers, and gangs in Springbodia. I've had dealings with both, and some areas of Rogers look to me like East LA.

Check with Lindsey, they'll find you a nice place.

Good luck in your move.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Evan Springdale has some very nice areas, but there is a little more crime there than in a few other towns. I would consider an aprartment over a house if you can stand not having a yard. The rent, in a decent area will be much less. Sometimes what you see on the internet isn't what you get when you arrive.

Nita

Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks guys, I've been working a little with Exitpro realty and I'm going to look at some Duplexes and houses in Rogers. I really don't want an apartment because I wanted a yard, but I may consider one anyway. That's scary to here about Rogers... I grew up there long, long ago, it has changed so much since I was a teen in 2002! I'll try Lindsey, thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Here's my "2 ¢"--Figure out where your kids will be then decide where to live. Seems backwards but...

Lowell does have some nice neighborhoods and I believe that there is one that is in Baayari School zone. I am concerned that you will have a difficult time getting from the UofA back to Spgd/Lowell/Rogers for child pickup. If you live in F'ville you'd have a better chance to avoid a pickup nightmare.

In F'ville look for rental homes around Butterfield Elementary and Leverett. Leverett Elem is just off the UofA campus. Most of the small rent homes around the area are not listed with real estate agents, just a sign out front. If you find something with Lindsey, read the fine print on their leases. I've had two people within the last two months tell me their apartment leases are VERY strict (a year long lease but you have to notify them no less than 30 days prior to expiration of lease. If not, the lease automatically renews either for a year or by the month at a higher rental rate). There may be some rental homes in your budget near Owl Creek School too (just be aware of where the homes are--new development vs old makes a big difference is who your neighbors might be)

For day care--Did you know the University operates a daycare and a nursery school? The Infant Development Center is a small daycare and very popular! Don't overlook Mother's Day Out programs at some of the F'ville churches (my youngest loved Play-Learn at 1st Baptist and we're not Baptist ; First School, located off Old Wire Rd; Creative School over in Colt Square are popular too. The Montessori School is expanded to include elementary.

Because you are a student (and probably on a limited budget) ask the pre-schools about "scholarships" I know some of the larger pre-schools offer them.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Here's my "2 ¢"--Figure out where your kids will be then decide where to live. Seems backwards but...

Lowell does have some nice neighborhoods and I believe that there is one that is in Baayari School zone. I am concerned that you will have a difficult time getting from the UofA back to Spgd/Lowell/Rogers for child pickup. If you live in F'ville you'd have a better chance to avoid a pickup nightmare.

In F'ville look for rental homes around Butterfield Elementary and Leverett. Leverett Elem is just off the UofA campus. Most of the small rent homes around the area are not listed with real estate agents, just a sign out front. If you find something with Lindsey, read the fine print on their leases. I've had two people within the last two months tell me their apartment leases are VERY strict (a year long lease but you have to notify them no less than 30 days prior to expiration of lease. If not, the lease automatically renews either for a year or by the month at a higher rental rate). There may be some rental homes in your budget near Owl Creek School too (just be aware of where the homes are--new development vs old makes a big difference is who your neighbors might be)

For day care--Did you know the University operates a daycare and a nursery school? The Infant Development Center is a small daycare and very popular! Don't overlook Mother's Day Out programs at some of the F'ville churches (my youngest loved Play-Learn at 1st Baptist and we're not Baptist ; First School, located off Old Wire Rd; Creative School over in Colt Square are popular too. The Montessori School is expanded to include elementary.

Because you are a student (and probably on a limited budget) ask the pre-schools about "scholarships" I know some of the larger pre-schools offer them.
Great advise, I only have one thing to add: my understanding is and I could be wrong, the universtiy day care has a wait list and some sign up months or years before their children are even ready for daycare. Thus I am not sure this is going to help the OP.

Nita

Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Nita is correct. The UofA's day care is in high demand. But it never hurts to ask. The new Jean Tyson Child Development Center is scheduled to open in the fall. It will combine both the day care and infant development centers under one roof (and a mighty fine roof too--the new building is awesome!)

I believe with the new center the enrollment will increase too.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM

I'll have to go down and drive around Fayetteville then, thanks for the advice. I looked up the daycare at UofA and it's really, really, expensive. MOre than other learning centers. Didn't call though and ask about the waiting list or anything. I really do want a good school for the kids so I am looking into them before I consider any houses. I'm worried about the pickup time too... may just change my class schedule... and don't want to have to pay afterschool care! I will definetely have to ask about "scholarships" never heard of it! And everything I've seen with Lindsey is $1000+ a month, except apartments.

I found one that sounds great in Springdale, the address is 423 NOrth Westend? the lady said it's right across from Elmdale elementary.... any thoughts on that neighborhood or school, the house is only $700 a month, and I haven't went to look at it yet.

Thank You so much!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

63 posts, read 226,475 times
Hi, in your scenario the traffic on 540 at 2:20-3:00 shouldn't be that bad (others can correct me if I am wrong). Also, I am not sure if this is possible but perhaps the school bus can drop your child off at the daycare your 2 year old is at after school? If so then you could pick up both at the same time after your class. Your in a juggling match that I would not want to be in because you are having to look at schools, daycares, neighborhoods all while having to consider commute times, your college schedule and your husbands work location. From a commute standpoint Springdale seems to be in the middle, in between Lowell and Fayetteville. Your husband may have to sacrifice his commute to accommodate your schedule unless he can "tweak" his working hours to be able to drop off or pick up your kids. My advice is you need to find a school and daycare that are close to each other and that are a easy commute for both of you. Then find a rent house near the school and daycare. You don't want the school and daycare to far apart from each other unless you will handle one (your commute and either the daycare OR the after school pickup) and your husband handle the other one(his commute and either the daycare OR after school pickup).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers