Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Check out the works of Van Gogh, Georgia O'Keefe, Cezanne, Renoir, and Monet.

Dry pastels are essentially water colors without water. Oil pastels are oil paint that comes in a crayon stick instead of a tube.

This allows oil pastels to be very lightly applied, or ground into the field with full saturation by simply adjusting the pressure of the hand. They allow the artist to sketch or paint, and can be used with water color or acrylics or oil paint.

The only rule is 'fat over lean'. Oil pastels ('fat') have to go over water-based media ('lean'). If any water based media goes on over them, it won't adhere to the pastels. Oil paint when dry can be drawn over with pastels, and pastels can draw dry lines around wet oil paint. When drawn into wet oil, the paint will blend with the pastel.

Don't think of 'crayon' as being nothing but Crayolas, the kid's crayon. (And your oil pastels will work on top of them.)
The word is old, and is used for any color that is mixed into a base that will hold the color to the ground. Crayolas aren't the only crayons that use a wax base; all colored pencils also use wax. The colored pencils are called crayons in other nations. The French have made hard crayons for centuries using wax, animal fats, gelatin, and other materials for centuries. Conté crayons feel and act more like stick charcoal than what you think of as a crayon. And the good crayons don't come cheap, whatever they are called.
This is great. Thanks. But I read it that you are doing pastels over oils and oils over pastels. The one that I tried, I was doing one oil color over another oil color. It didn't work. The second color did not "take", didn't show at all. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I'll get a chance to try again today.

Thanks for the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
This is great. Thanks. But I read it that you are doing pastels over oils and oils over pastels. The one that I tried, I was doing one oil color over another oil color. It didn't work. The second color did not "take", didn't show at all. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I'll get a chance to try again today.

Thanks for the details.
I don't get what you described. Using oil over oil? Do you mean Oil Pastels over Oil Paint? I have done an Oil painting and then used Oil Pastels over that and it worked great. This one below is 16 x 20

Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I don't get what you described. Using oil over oil? Do you mean Oil Pastels over Oil Paint? I have done an Oil painting and then used Oil Pastels over that and it worked great. This one below is 16 x 20

Oil Pastel over oil pastel. One crayon over another. OK?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Oil Pastel over oil pastel. One crayon over another. OK?
Oil pastels are very slow drying. Learning how to work with them takes a lot of experimentation and practice. If you are getting color creep from the bottom to the top, you may want to try some spray fixative over the bottom stuff before working on the next layer.

Really a lot depends on the pressure you use on the pastels. Once the ground- the paper, canvas or whatever you are drawing on- becomes fully loaded by the first coat, the second coat won't have any 'tooth' to grip to, so it will skid around on the bottom coat.

If you are using pastels as a drawing medium, you may want to use a water based paint to block in the background first if you like to work fast, or use oil paint if you prefer a slower paint.

If you are using pastels in their painterly role, try doing what the Expressionists did and lay colors close to each other but with minimum overlapping, then blend with a stump or a cotton-wrapped fingertip.

The artists who use pastels a lot often use colored papers or tinted canvas so they can keep the light colors fresh. Pastels are opaque, so lights cover darks well.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:26 AM

I knew I should have returned them!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM

It is very ok to do one color over the other, that is what painting is all about. post what you tried. The first two samples my daughter put all different oil pastels crayons colors over each other to create new blended colors.

One thing to watch out for though is "Student Grade" as they just don't mix. They should be outlawed, what's the point of not mixing color.

Chalk pastels are an entirely different thing. Which are you using?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM

I only use them on canvas. Don't give up until you know how to use them correctly, then if you don't like it fine. But if you have not found how to use them correctly you might miss out on how fun they really are.

Here is a youtube showing how to use:

Mangosteen - Time Lapse Video - Oil Pastel on Canvas - YouTube

Tips and Tricks #1~ How to Blend Oil Pastels - YouTube

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
I knew I should have returned them!
No no! Acquiring new skills is always a good thing! New art tools and techniques are always a challenge. That's part of the fun.
If you think pastels are tough, try using an airbrush sometime. It took 5 years of dedication to become proficient with an airbrush for me, and it's now one of my most commonly used tools.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Now airbrush is the one thing I did give up on, too hard for me. Not the cutting and planning but the spraying and keeping clean. ugh

Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,093 times
Hi Hazel, Its a good medium to paint. Even I have painted many of my arts using using oil pastels. Check out some videos on jerrysartarama, you'll get many ideas and tips to paint with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts