Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You may just have one of those setups that algae likes. Is it the long stringy type or more just a fuzz? The first can be a problem, the second not so much.
That's the thig, everything I've seen describes the algae as stringy of fuzz, I wouldn't describe it as either. It's green cloudy. It's only a 20 gallon tank and I can't see the back of it. I tested the water and it is high in nitrates and ammonia. I'm going to do about 25% water change, treat it and take it from there. I'd like to get the algae eating fish, but I'm nervous about putting them in the tank before it's stabilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Those nitrate and ammonia numbers indicate something dead maybe, but 5 months is a long time for that.

Nitrates in the Aquarium - Coping With Nitrates in the Aquarium

Handling High Ammonia Levels

You really shouldn't have either in an established tank.

On the nitrate side, could your water supplier be adding something new to the water? Some iron treatments might mess with the chemistry enough to impact the cycle.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
with nitrates and nitrites being high id put money on an over feeding issue, decaying matter will cause spikes like this.

id definatly suggest doing a REALY good gravel vaccuming at least once a week, realy get in there! and do 25% water changes a couple times a week and test regularly...
once those numbers drop and hopd steady dropped for 2 weeks, then you can think about adding the ottos...

right now though the white cloudiness is that bacterial bloom feeding on those high yickyness...getting those under control youll probably see a difference realy quickly.

when you set up the tank did you add fish right away? did it have chance to cycle?
have you added any new fish/decorations lately?

my best advice right now is that it sounds like your tank is going through a cycle phase for some reason (probbaly too much food) and cutting back on feeding and doing water changes should get it back under control. just watch your current fish for signs of stress.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Get yourself a bushy nose pleco. These aren't the same as the common ones where they can get way too big.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I have a few bn plecos, and they were in my tanks when I temporarily had the green water problem. Green water isn't the same as green algae growing on everything, so don't expect a pleco to clear the water. I think there is more going on than just an algae problem for HS dude. But you are right sj08054, they don't grow as large as the regular pleco, only about 5" in length.

I had the Tetra Whisper on one of my tanks once, it was really ineffective at keeping the tank clean. How often do you change the filter?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
How to Fix Green Aquarium Water

Aquarium Algae - How to Get Rid of Algae in Aquariums, Fish Bowls, and Ponds.

Try the daily water change.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 AM

burshy nose are cute plecos and a great semi clean up crew, but they dont eat algea once they enter adult hood...
plecos eat WOOD and must be supplied with driftwood to hide under and slowly consume.
they will feed on some kinds of vegatable matter through their life, certain types of alge, but should never be bought specifucally as an algea eating fish because once they pass the juvinile stage, they wont be cleaning your tank as well as you want.

personally i love plecos, i love that they are armored like tanks and super hardy, they can happily put up with my cichlids on a "pushy" day, but so many people get them because there "algea eaters" that many plecos of all verieties die prematurly in the tank due to lack of apropriate food source.

if you want true algea eaters stick with true algea eaters, ottos, chinese algea eaters, siamese algea eaters (i prefer siams, less agressive) ect.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
burshy nose are cute plecos and a great semi clean up crew, but they dont eat algea once they enter adult hood...
plecos eat WOOD and must be supplied with driftwood to hide under and slowly consume.
they will feed on some kinds of vegatable matter through their life, certain types of alge, but should never be bought specifucally as an algea eating fish because once they pass the juvinile stage, they wont be cleaning your tank as well as you want.

personally i love plecos, i love that they are armored like tanks and super hardy, they can happily put up with my cichlids on a "pushy" day, but so many people get them because there "algea eaters" that many plecos of all verieties die prematurly in the tank due to lack of apropriate food source.

if you want true algea eaters stick with true algea eaters, ottos, chinese algea eaters, siamese algea eaters (i prefer siams, less agressive) ect.
I completely agree. I like to give my plecos some zuccini every once in a while, and also some tiny bits of sinking algae wafers every few days just to be sure they are getting enough to eat. And I do have driftwood in their tanks, I see them gnawing on that occasionally, too.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM

mine LOVED zuccini and whent nuts for frozen peas!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
that cloudy white stuff sounds like a bacterium that some of our very sophisticated club members had in only one of their breeding tanks (and in none of the others). I had it once. It's not harmful, relatively rare, but the only way to get rid of it is a tank teardown, if that is what it is.

If you have live plants they suck up the nitrates, particularly water sprite. Go plants. You shouldn't have a green algae problem at all. Cease feeding and up filtration and see what happens. I also now use a current mover (Korellia) in all my tank with box filters, as it really helps the water turnover and gets the entire plant rocking; I've really noticed the difference; you can't filter too much.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 06-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish