Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you visit a Northern Arizona Theme Park?
yes 90 62.50%
no 54 37.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM

862 posts, read 2,622,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This deal reminds me of those typical shady timeshare sales presentations. These people are excellent salesman and know exactly what you want to hear and have a manufactured response to every possible negative question you could potentially ask. This was supposed to be a slam dunk 2 years ago and now they have to try and lure investors. First of all, why would I drive all the way out there to visit a mediocre theme park? It's just a horrible business model. If I'm going to invest that much in driving, why not just drive to LA or San Diego. Furthermore, the Decades theme park seems more realistic and is organized. I have a feeling that park will actually come to fruition but thise one just seems like a pipe dream gone bad. These types of deals are never any good. I receive offers like this all the time: the classic...loan me money and i will reimburse your principal with interest.
Groundbreaking was originally supposed to take place in spring 2008, now it is approaching spring 2009 and they are still wanting funds. I believe the whole deal will tank and people will lose their money.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,401,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This deal reminds me of those typical shady timeshare sales presentations. These people are excellent salesman and know exactly what you want to hear and have a manufactured response to every possible negative question you could potentially ask. This was supposed to be a slam dunk 2 years ago and now they have to try and lure investors. First of all, why would I drive all the way out there to visit a mediocre theme park? It's just a horrible business model. If I'm going to invest that much in driving, why not just drive to LA or San Diego. Furthermore, the Decades theme park seems more realistic and is organized. I have a feeling that park will actually come to fruition but thise one just seems like a pipe dream gone bad. These types of deals are never any good. I receive offers like this all the time: the classic...loan me money and i will reimburse your principal with interest.
Yep, I agree pretty much with what you said. However, I'm sure there are many local special interests around there that want to see it happen. But on another note, people are'nt going out and spending money like they did in the past. Even if it was already built and functional, does anyone actually believe they would be in possitive financial plus territory right now in the present economic crisis ??? Most likely they'd be looking for a piece of the bailout pie like many other major business giants just to keep themselves afloat.

As it is, they are hurting for money to keep a afloat and there's nothing to show for from the investments they've gotten thus far. Except for an office somewhere, hopefully some raw land and draft plans and a website. I'd be spooked to invest even if I had the money to gamble and through away for nothing more than a tax loss.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM

345 posts, read 467,588 times
I had my doubts about that theme park idea in Williams when I first heard about it. I know Williams is desperate to create a tourist anchor to capture some revenue from the visitors going to/from Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, but the timing was just really bad. Plenty of private business schemes between local town governments and private investors are/have tanked due to the economic/housing morass. Local townships will have to make the tough cuts in their budgets because gambling houses/fun parks/new business tax revenue has dried up along with the middle-class spending for things like restaurant outings three times a week, and a new vehicle every four years. Forced thriftiness is to 2009 what willful extravagance was to 2004.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,938 times
Smile Just another Disappointment

The park is getting cancelled along with the other theme park that was supposed to go in by Eloy. i think it was going to be called Decades. This is Arizona for you. Always being overshadowed by its neighbor California.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM

269 posts, read 1,258,532 times
Quote:
The park is getting cancelled along with the other theme park that was supposed to go in by Eloy. i think it was going to be called Decades. This is Arizona for you. Always being overshadowed by its neighbor California.
[quote][/QUOTE
Words are cheap on the internet.Do you have anything to support your staement?If not then you are to be ignored in the future.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Well it seems Arizona has it's share of Theme Parks rags to riches dreams to go around.

So here's one proposed theme park for Eloy. Apparently there was also another proposed western theme park, but I don't know where it's headed now. This one below is a Rock N Roll theme park.

DECADES Music Theme Park: Eloy, Arizona

HORIZON Video (http://www.azpbs.org/horizon/flash.asp?ID=956&vidnum=3 - broken link)

Last edited by bluepacific; 02-15-2009 at 02:33 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Groundbreaking was originally supposed to take place in spring 2008, now it is approaching spring 2009 and they are still wanting funds. I believe the whole deal will tank and people will lose their money.
Speaking of funds, did anyone hear anything about that fundraiser that was mentioned a while back ???

I don't think in this climate of bank failures and tourist failure, something like this is going to take off anytime soon.

It's just interesting how quiet all of the sudden it became here.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,278,203 times
This thread reminds me of the Theme Park they were going to build in Grayling (Michigan) oh they had the plans, they had the land picked out, they had the city and county approval. But they had NO MONEY. They talked and talked, got some hopes up as well as peoples panties in a bunch. But when it was all said and done the funding fell through. Of they still have hope of making it happen but it's been in the works for a good 3 or 4 years now and they are no closer today than 4 years ago.
One of the things I would miss if we move to Arizona is the fact the greatest park in the world is only 2 1/2 hours from me. Cedar Point. It would have been nice to have one in northern Arizona.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Hadn't been to Williams in awhile, but had the opportunity to spend a couple of night there last week. So I thought I would ask around, figured who better to ask, so I asked the local barkeep about the amusement park.

The barkeep laughed and said let me introduce you to "Mr. Big." Mr. Big came over and I asked him the question and he laughed and gave me many reasons why it wouldn't happen and the guy pushing for it didn't have a pot to pee in. All the reasons have been discussed in this thread so I won't rehash them. He confirmed my thoughts on the subject, bought me a drink and told me to enjoy my stay.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Hadn't been to Williams in awhile, but had the opportunity to spend a couple of night there last week. So I thought I would ask around, figured who better to ask, so I asked the local barkeep about the amusement park.

The barkeep laughed and said let me introduce you to "Mr. Big." Mr. Big came over and I asked him the question and he laughed and gave me many reasons why it wouldn't happen and the guy pushing for it didn't have a pot to pee in. All the reasons have been discussed in this thread so I won't rehash them. He confirmed my thoughts on the subject, bought me a drink and told me to enjoy my stay.
And on that note, we can just about close this thread.

Kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona