Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
No. There is as much sunshine here as there was inn Flagstaff. This is the sunny side of the state. Only 17 inches of rain per year. About what Flagstaff used to get. Now Flagstaff is literally drying up. Mark my words, water is going to be a huge issue in Arizona in the near future! But hey, if your super wealthy, move to Flagstaff but you'll still going run out of water eventually. In Spokane there is a good variety of weather with four beautiful, distinct seasons and you don't have to pay a fortune to enjoy it. Just take a comparison look at the realestate prices on realtor.com. You can't even find a house in Flagstaff for under $200,000.
I have heard quite a few good things about Spokane as well; your info 'jibes', shall we say

Old 10-13-2007, 03:31 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,876 times
Flagstaff has double the amount of sunny days as Spokane, but hey.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 AM

7 posts, read 42,695 times
Nancy,
I have been a resident of Flagstaff for over 16 years. When I first moved here from San Diego, one of my first missions was to learn as much as possible about this beautiful area as well as explore the many unique sites as possible. I have now spent the past 30 minutes or more reading a lot of crap from what would appear to be many unhappy people and much of which is false. It is true that wages are low compared to cost of living. The advice I would give anyone considering moving here would be to only do it if you have a stable occupation or you won't make it here long. I have worked very hard to get where I am here but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I spent my first 10 years here in medicine and then made a career change to real estate. Reason being....I still wanted to help people but I wanted to help happy people. Contrary to the statement made by carecare7 I am not a dishonest, nor greedy agent, and I don't drive a hummer! I have built a very strong client base by hardwork, honesty and I don't sell anything to anyone that isn't right for them. I take my career seriously and my primary goal is to protect my client. I will tell you that if you own real estate in Flagstaff you can't go wrong. It is a wise investment to purchase and use as rental for your son and roomates as you will make money rather than spending it on dorm accomodations. sidebar...carecare7, one goal of mine is to help local residents own their own home and there are many resources available to help you obtain homeownership.
I hope to educate many of you who can't seem to figure out why Flagstaff home prices are and always have been high. Bottom line...availability of the land. Flagstaff will/can only grow so much. Once we reach our boundaries what is owned will more than likely increase. We are surrounded by forest service land, state land and reservation not to mention terrain issues. For a mountain community with the above stated boundaries our prices may still be slightly higher but they are comparable to other mountain communities/college towns with 4 seasons etc...
Do your research.
When I drive down a road and come upon some deer or elk crossing I am reminded of just one of the many reasons I am here.
Nancy, I have many informational items and resources I would be happy to provide if you still need information about Flagstaff.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
I've lived there before and recently, before coming back to Calif, was actually looking at rentals and work up there. Despite the employment rates in the wintertime in some trades, there are ways to survive if you manage things right, and I know people up there who do pretty good in the restraunt biz.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
No. There is as much sunshine here as there was inn Flagstaff. This is the sunny side of the state. Only 17 inches of rain per year. About what Flagstaff used to get. Now Flagstaff is literally drying up. Mark my words, water is going to be a huge issue in Arizona in the near future! But hey, if your super wealthy, move to Flagstaff but you'll still going run out of water eventually. In Spokane there is a good variety of weather with four beautiful, distinct seasons and you don't have to pay a fortune to enjoy it. Just take a comparison look at the realestate prices on realtor.com. You can't even find a house in Flagstaff for under $200,000.
This is great- read this article recently posted in the Detroit Free Press:

Richardson changes tune on tapping Great Lakes for dry West (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Dato=20071015&Kategori=NEWS06&Lopenr=7101 5042&Ref=AR&imw=Y - broken link)

Man, that idea got shot down. Looks like the southwest ain't getting any of the midwest's water- sorry! Guess they'll have to come up with another idea... good luck...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,114 times
I would love to live in Flagstaff....when I retire or if I manage to get a master's degree so that I can teach at NAU. Ever since they established urban growth boundaries, real estate cost skyrocketed. That's the cost of a town of nature lovers and environmentalists, much like Portland. But the job market has never been good up there, except maybe during the heavy mining days over a century ago. There just aren't a lot of industries that consider moving there instead of Phoenix. But, it's so beautiful and relaxed, if you're into nature, and if you have a decent job.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,339 times
Can't even buy a house for under 200k? Boo-hoo. Try the area where I live here in maryland, you can't get a freaking one bedroom condo for under 200k. I've always liked Flagstaff, and thought everything was super-cheap when I lived there, but I guess that's only from my perspective. I never really got the complaining about everything being so expensive. Seems the balance between incomes and expenses are about normal to me. I'm actually trying to move back there. I'll make less money in Flag, but it'll go just as far for me, if not farther, especially since my quality of life will be significantly improved. Making it in Flagstaff depends on individual preferences.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 PM

26 posts, read 158,829 times
it does come down to personal prefences, i know alot of people who arent doctors or in some kind of high paying feild of employment so living in a place like flagstaff is expencive. personally i think washington state is alot more affordable (- seattle) and much more beautiful. i wouldnt live east of the cascades but spokane is ok.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,615 times
Cool Yes...stay away! Keep bashing Flag.

Flag, although yes is very expensive, is a great place to live. Keep bashing it so we can continue to live here!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I guess the rule of location, location, location does not always apply. If better areas of Arizona are cheaper, I can see prices in Flagstaff dropping by 50% or more
No way, they will never drop. Flagstaff has ALWAYS been expensive. It was the first place people from Phoenix escaped to. Prescott is the "new" Flagstaff with wealthier second home buyers. But Flagstaff is still expensive. I have no clue why, it's a very run down ugly town. Prescott is much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona