Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 PM

78 posts, read 515,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverdull View Post
Hopefully Spodunk can rise above that in the future with folks from the rest of the world moving there and making cultural events affordable.
Like any other metro/town/etc., people from other places moving in changes the area. If people are unhappy with the status quo of a town, they should encourage other people to move there to promote change.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Flagstaff , sure looks a lot better than Scottsdale ! If comparing AZ. cities is where this thread is , or should be , . I think Northern Az. is much more hospitable , weather wise , traffic wise , people wise , than anywhere else in AZ......Sedona, wasn't bad however...I could have spent a few more days there......

Old 11-23-2007, 01:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
We lived in Flagstaff back in the 1990s and loved it. We are now considering a return so these posts have been helpful to read. We miss the outdoor activities, great food, local music culture, and friendly vibe of the town.

One thing I remember in Flag is that while it was pretty economically and socially polarized, there was still plenty of room for "downshifters" from the rat race. The general happiness of the downshifters seemed to be directly linked to how much of their old life, consumption, etc patterns remained. Some people thought that merely moving to a friendly, hip, low key place would magically transform them to match their surroundings.

I believe a successful and happy move to place like Flagstaff (on an average budget) requires us to change ourselves in these ways:

-Be more content with what we have - and buy less
-Enjoy the cost-free advantages of the great outdoors
-Free yourself of the pattern of always wanting a bigger house, car, etc
-Slow down and enjoy life
-Connect with your neighbors and enjoy the diversity of the town

Otherwise, all you are doing is bringing the rat race with you. If you are not ready to live this way (and don't have bags of cash), you may not be very happy in a place like Flagstaff.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
-Be more content with what we have - and buy less
-Enjoy the cost-free advantages of the great outdoors
-Free yourself of the pattern of always wanting a bigger house, car, etc
-Slow down and enjoy life
-Connect with your neighbors and enjoy the diversity of the town

Otherwise, all you are doing is bringing the rat race with you. If you are not ready to live this way (and don't have bags of cash), you may not be very happy in a place like Flagstaff.
I think that's great advice and can be applied to any location.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 AM

74 posts, read 383,890 times
Smile Try Kingman, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It seems like everywhere in the state of Arizona has become victim to rampant real estate speculation. I picked up a flier today for a supposedly rennovated (hah, maybe 10 years ago) 1960s ranch house in Tempe that was going for $450-grand! Are there any areas of the state left where the home values to income ratios are still normal?
You might try Kingman, AZ area, the way I see it it's the New Frontier. Prices are down. When the hooverdambypass.com bridge opens in 2009-10 prices will probably fly to the upside again. People from Vegas will flood into NW AZ for property, 1 acre lots and up. Big companies moving here for cheap land and location due to the bridge. You can get acreage now. You said $400k for house in Tempe, you can get 40 ac's in Kingman from $125k and up. What about 40 acers with Manufactered Home on it For $400k. You may be one of the spec's instead of one talk'n about what has happen. Click on haymann and send me an email if you like.

Happy Trails

Last edited by haymann; 11-24-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
What "other place" does one go? Every desirable town I've looked at seems to have undesirable real estate prices. The only places where it's cheap to live now is in the midwest and the south, and I'm not sure I'd fit into those areas. Where do we go?
Try:

Grand Junction, Colorado
Fort Collins, Colorado
Missoula, Montana
Boise, Idaho
Spokane, Washington
St George, Utah

Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 PM

314 posts, read 924,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
I love the Peaks and the area around Flagstaff, but I think the town itself leaves a lot to be desired. The job market stinks and real estate prices have gone through the roof. There's plenty of seedy areas and route 66 is mile after mile of flophouse motels and currency exchanges. I really don't see the appeal unless you have a million dollars to drop on a big house outside of town. If you're young and want to dirtbag it for a few years there are certainly nicer places to do it like Durango Colorado or Bend Oregon.
Agreed 1000%

Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM

314 posts, read 924,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
No way, they will never drop. Flagstaff has ALWAYS been expensive. It was the first place people from Phoenix escaped to. Prescott is the "new" Flagstaff with wealthier second home buyers. But Flagstaff is still expensive. I have no clue why, it's a very run down ugly town. Prescott is much nicer.
I agree with this also.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 10,342 times
Default know what to expect

I've lived in Flag for about 10 years now. I have a good job here I make about 45k a year. My wife makes about 40k a year. Do not expect that kind of $ if you are new to Flag! I hire people all the time I tell them to expect to make about 28 to 32k a year and work about 50 hours a week. The work is physical it is not easy. With that being said, it is very hard for a young family to move here and make it. Expect to pay 200k for a trailor or 280 for a townhouse, a decient stick built will cost about 280 to 380K.

Here is the problem with Flag. You cannot have your cake and eat it too... People want to live in a resort town yet not pay resort prices. That is a tough thing to do. It is possable if you are willing to live in crappy apartments and live frugally. I myself work very hard for the money I make (60 hours week) but it is very important to keep my family fed and a roof over their heads. Plus I bought a house well before the housing boom.

Here is the simple truth, if you want to live in Flag come here with a strong resume and be willing to work hard. Flagstaff is not a place to build a resume. If you are smart you can survive, but give up the thought of taking off midweek to go skiing or go for a hike.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is the truth. We get a lot of people who come here wanting to live the "dream". I say to you it is a lot easier to live in Phoenix and make 50+k a year and spend your weekends in the mountains. As soon as my twelve year old son graduates I plan on doing the same. I am exhausted and sick of worrying....

Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintruth View Post
I've lived in Flag for about 10 years now. I have a good job here I make about 45k a year. My wife makes about 40k a year. Do not expect that kind of $ if you are new to Flag! I hire people all the time I tell them to expect to make about 28 to 32k a year and work about 50 hours a week. The work is physical it is not easy. With that being said, it is very hard for a young family to move here and make it. Expect to pay 200k for a trailor or 280 for a townhouse, a decient stick built will cost about 280 to 380K.

Here is the problem with Flag. You cannot have your cake and eat it too... People want to live in a resort town yet not pay resort prices. That is a tough thing to do. It is possable if you are willing to live in crappy apartments and live frugally. I myself work very hard for the money I make (60 hours week) but it is very important to keep my family fed and a roof over their heads. Plus I bought a house well before the housing boom.

Here is the simple truth, if you want to live in Flag come here with a strong resume and be willing to work hard. Flagstaff is not a place to build a resume. If you are smart you can survive, but give up the thought of taking off midweek to go skiing or go for a hike.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is the truth. We get a lot of people who come here wanting to live the "dream". I say to you it is a lot easier to live in Phoenix and make 50+k a year and spend your weekends in the mountains. As soon as my twelve year old son graduates I plan on doing the same. I am exhausted and sick of worrying....
Sounds like you work way too hard , for , way less money. I don't see how someone can make 28m , and afford a home , that costs 250,000.. In most resort towns , the workers, work there , but , live somewhere else , and commute.The wages in most resort places are higher , so , it works to do it that way. Otherwise , join in , open a shop , charge resort prices , and live there. Why would Flagstaff be any different ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona