Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM

323 posts, read 685,164 times

Advertisements

I second the vote for the closing of the thread. One of the first articles posted on this thread was about how everyone in FL was about to die from a 200 ft. tsunami. Almost everything in this thread is garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM

214 posts, read 678,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
I second the vote for the closing of the thread. One of the first articles posted on this thread was about how everyone in FL was about to die from a 200 ft. tsunami. Almost everything in this thread is garbage.
Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here.

90% of ANY Internet discussion group is garbage. Opinions, hearsay, rumors, speculation, people making pronouncements when they have little or no knowledge of the area being discussed. Is anybody here an oceanographer, geophysicist or petroleum engineer? Would any of the opinions here stand up in court? Has anybody overflown the spill, sampled the air quality, done the computations to model the movement of the oil? Unless somebody has, nobody really can even guess what is absurd and what is not.

IF you feel any post is garbage or anyone posts garbage, you have the capability to not read the post(s) or set the poster on ignore. Why do you want to censor the OP's speech? He is not advocating the overthrow of the US govt nor is he inciting hate crimes nor is he slandering anybody. Are you afraid of what he says? If it's nonsense, any intelligent person will know it's nonsense, no? Or better yet, prove that it is nonsense.

This is a sensitive topic. People are angry, scared, frustrated and who can blame them? I only visit down there and the TV coverage makes me physically ill to watch. I can well imagine how people who *might* be directly affected feel. But if you censor one topic, you can find reason to censor them all.

"That is all I have to say."

Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Maybe the title could be changed and the thread locked. I can't stand seeing it every time I log on.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Yes, the truth hurts. ;-)

Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM

323 posts, read 685,164 times
Truth? Not much truth has been posted here as of late. It's too bad the thread hasn't been informative or had more than a couple credible sources cited. I'm sure many of the people who actually come here for advice and to research the Tampa Bay area before moving/vacationing here probably wasted a lot of their time sifting through this mess of a thread. Luckily for them, it doesn't take a genius to go seek out REAL information. The only thing I can figure, as to why OP starting this "discussion," was to either A) scare people, or B) cause an argument. Bravo, bravo.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
In my post where I said this is 100% untrue, I wanted to suggest closing og the thread. But as mentioned earlier, everyone has their right to their opinion... after all that's what CD is all about. As much as I would like this thread closed... I feel as though I do not have the right to suggest such an action because of what is being said. However, since we're now getting off topic I believe this thread should be locked.

I do not understand why any local would want to do whatever they can to instill fear into others. Especially into those that may be considering a move to the great state of Florida. Not sure if people understand that people moving into the state helps stimulate the economy of that state, which as far as I can conclude, is a positive thing.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
If you people don't like the subject. Skip to the next thread. I'm posting this information for people who are interested in it, who may not have the same viewpoints as the main stream media.

What a bunch of net nannies!

furthermore:

If some of you could look past your own noses, you'd realize that BP has lied to you from the very beginning about pretty much everything concerning this oil spill. BP cares about BP, not you.

If the real world scares you, then skip to the next grocery store thread or gardening thread or school thread or whatever. None of that will matter much longer anyway. Might as well spend your whole life in denial.

Last edited by stpeteguy; 07-01-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
If you people don't like the subject. Skip to the next thread. I'm posting this information for people who are interested in it, who may not have the same viewpoints as the main stream media.

What a bunch of net nannies!

furthermore:

If some of you could look past your own noses, you'd realize that BP has lied to you from the very beginning about pretty much everything concerning this oil spill. BP cares about BP, not you.

If the real world scares you, then skip to the next grocery store thread or gardening thread or school thread or whatever. None of that will matter much longer anyway. Might as well spend your whole life in denial.
Yes, you are correct. BP has been lying from the very beginning, I agree with you 100% and do not trust them, nor will I ever trust any oil company... or really any large corporation for that matter.

But when you are posting stories that 90% of Exxon Valdez Spill Clean Up workers are dead..... come on man. I was here when that happened and I know many people who have worked on that spill. Not one of them are dead and none of them have told me about a large number of people who have died that they knew from the cleanup. Did some get sick and are still sick, showing mild to moderate symptoms.... Yes. But 90% dead....

You know what, you're right though. Everyone has their own beliefs and viewpoints of things. I suppose some people do think Coast to Coast AM is in fact real. If everyone believed in the same things, the world would be a pretty boring place.

Hey, when the "Tsunami Causing, Oxygen Depletion Methane Gas Ball That Is Going To Kill Everyone" does NOT occur, I think you stating you were wrong would be in order. If you're right.... well hey...... I'll be dead so you can have your satisfaction during whatever you think happens after one dies.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:33 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Yes, you are correct. BP has been lying from the very beginning, I agree with you 100% and do not trust them, nor will I ever trust any oil company... or really any large corporation for that matter.

But when you are posting stories that 90% of Exxon Valdez Spill Clean Up workers are dead..... come on man. I was here when that happened and I know many people who have worked on that spill. Not one of them are dead and none of them have told me about a large number of people who have died that they knew from the cleanup. Did some get sick and are still sick, showing mild to moderate symptoms.... Yes. But 90% dead....

You know what, you're right though. Everyone has their own beliefs and viewpoints of things. I suppose some people do think Coast to Coast AM is in fact real. If everyone believed in the same things, the world would be a pretty boring place.

Hey, when the "Tsunami Causing, Oxygen Depletion Methane Gas Ball That Is Going To Kill Everyone" does NOT occur, I think you stating you were wrong would be in order. If you're right.... well hey...... I'll be dead so you can have your satisfaction during whatever you think happens after one dies.
Take your complaints up with CNN about the Valdez workers.

As far as the rest of it. If you don't like this thread, please don't post or respond to it. I'm not here to argue with people, just post alternative viewpoints.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
[SIZE=5]Infowars.com Poll: BP Oil Gusher Evacuation? [/SIZE]

An Infowars.com poll on a rumored Gulf Coast evacuation in response to environmental and health dangers posed by the BP oil gusher was close to evenly divided. 27% of respondents said there will be a massive and widespread evacuation while 30% indicated they believe only certain towns and cities will experience evacuation. 28% said rumors of a widespread or limited evacuation is merely propaganda designed to scare people.

Infowars.com Poll: BP Oil Gusher Evacuation?
Infowars is run by conspiracy theory crackpot Alex Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida