Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,729 times

Advertisements

Florida has and always will be recognized as the "retirement state", and a high occupancy of 65 and uppers. Where I work/live it is 50% or more retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
1-Alligators are everywhere..."should I be afraid of alligators when I'm walking down the street at night?"

2-"How do you put up with all the hurricanes?"....like there is a major hurricane that hits one's neighborhood on a weekly basis....lol....

3-The heat..."will I pass out in July if I step outside at noon?" On second though, maybe this is a valid concern....haha...

What else do you hear or read about on these boards that makes you chuckle and shake your head?
That folks coming from the north are ready for our relentless heat and humidity by experience a couple of short blasts of extreme temps requiring a/c each summer up there. Or that everyone must be outside a lot here cause it is a 'mild' 90 degrees and sunny.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
That folks coming from the north are ready for our relentless heat and humidity by experience a couple of short blasts of extreme temps requiring a/c each summer up there. Or that everyone must be outside a lot here cause it is a 'mild' 90 degrees and sunny.
That's exactly right. I don't bother arguing the point anymore when they ask if it is really as hot as some of us say, then when you tell them, they say "well I'm moving down anyways". Live and learn, don't ask then if you were going to do it anyways. The best part is when they get here and say "WHOA, I didn't tink it was this hot!!!"... Told ya!!!! A few residents here where I work have said exactly that. Or I get "how have you been down here for 16 years, are you nuts?" Yep!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:21 PM

57 posts, read 111,680 times
That every person here is some redneck hick hillbilly missing all their teeth strummin a banjo in the summer heat.. Fact is its nearly impossible to find natives of this state everyone is from somewhere else. So if we do have em they're coming from ur area buddy not ours!

Oh and as far as the old people imo let em come. At least here in Naples they keep the town clean, relatively safe and quiet. Sure I can think of somethings to add for younger people but they're trying we have the water park, the zoo etc etc. They're old and they're RICH..so it always looks nice.. Besides I'll stick my toes in white sand any day over my boots in white freezing cold snow..oh wait I was thinking of the first snowfall. Lets be realistic the black SLUSH is more like it lol!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That's exactly right. I don't bother arguing the point anymore when they ask if it is really as hot as some of us say, then when you tell them, they say "well I'm moving down anyways". Live and learn, don't ask then if you were going to do it anyways. The best part is when they get here and say "WHOA, I didn't tink it was this hot!!!"... Told ya!!!! A few residents here where I work have said exactly that. Or I get "how have you been down here for 16 years, are you nuts?" Yep!!!
I've been here 27 years.. Experienced that cold cold bitter cold..noo thanks. I have family try to convince me to move back up north, then they did for the first time experienced their first winter and -22 degree windchill grey days for WEEKS on end as I sent them pics of me at the beach and they realized that 3 months of extreme heat beat 8 months of snowfall. Lets me honest the heat is only REALLY bad from say June-Aug mayybe Sept sometimes. The rest of the year its warm not HOT.. Unike up there where its just cold, freezing, omg wtf, and cold then mud..

Old 07-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerprint_me View Post
I've been here 27 years.. Experienced that cold cold bitter cold..noo thanks. I have family try to convince me to move back up north, then they did for the first time experienced their first winter and -22 degree windchill grey days for WEEKS on end as I sent them pics of me at the beach and they realized that 3 months of extreme heat beat 8 months of snowfall. Lets me honest the heat is only REALLY bad from say June-Aug mayybe Sept sometimes. The rest of the year its warm not HOT.. Unike up there where its just cold, freezing, omg wtf, and cold then mud..
Not if you live down here in Southwest Florida, try May through the end of October sometimes November... you like it, enjoy it, I do not at all. I have to work in it too, which doubles my hate for it. Give me the cold. I loved this last winter, it was the best yet.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Not if you live down here in Southwest Florida, try May through the end of October sometimes November... you like it, enjoy it, I do not at all. I have to work in it too, which doubles my hate for it. Give me the cold. I loved this last winter, it was the best yet.
I live in Naples and I enjoy it A LOT...I did that snow and cold crap.. snowed Oct thru May.. shoveling every day, axing ice dams, bundle up, undress, rebundle, wet cold grey black snowy slush.. I did not enjoy this last winter it wore on me by the end...Noppers like my warmth!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
Quote:
That every person here is some redneck hick hillbilly missing all their teeth strummin a banjo in the summer heat.. Fact is its nearly impossible to find natives of this state everyone is from somewhere else. So if we do have em they're coming from ur area buddy not ours!

Oh and as far as the old people imo let em come. At least here in Naples they keep the town clean, relatively safe and quiet. Sure I can think of somethings to add for younger people but they're trying we have the water park, the zoo etc etc. They're old and they're RICH..so it always looks nice.. Besides I'll stick my toes in white sand any day over my boots in white freezing cold snow..oh wait I was thinking of the first snowfall. Lets be realistic the black SLUSH is more like it lol!
I am a not a native of Florida but lived there (SW FL) several years ago.

I always thought the true native Floridians got a bad rep. You are right, most of the people in FL, especially SW FL, are from another state, but that didn't stop comments like you stated.

Some of the sleaziest/rudest/scumiest people I met in Florida were from places far away from Florida, but since they are in Florida now, they are counted in with the natives. These were younger to middle aged people.

But I enjoyed meeting all of the snowbirds when I worked at one of restaurants down there. They kept the economy going and generally were law abiding citizens.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 40,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
True, though New England only has two poisonous species, vs. six in Florida.
Not unless you are small enough to be taken by a Boa. 14 footers in the 'Glades.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
Natives (NOT Oranges) are Floridas # 1 export.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida