Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,901,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
No dinial that there theves dough huh?
Appallachtion as you wrote, compared to the actual spelling, "Appalachian."

There is more then a missing "i" there buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,373,352 times
Misconceptions..
A) Florida is "God's waiting room."
B) We're all living in a Jimmy Buffet song, sipping margaritas and sitting by the pool
C) Our shores are lapping with oil and tar balls
D) Mold grows on the inside of our walls
E) I'll relocate to FL where it's warm year round and the same job opps as up north are waiting for me.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:24 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Natives (NOT Oranges) are Floridas # 1 export.
Yep, that is a common misconception

Florida is 11th highest state at retaining native born.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,183,644 times
I think the misconception that irks me the most(because I used to teach probably) is that your child will not get a good education in all Florida schools and won't be able to compete when they graduate.

That we are so far behind Northern states when it comes to the "in things" up North. We aren't behind LOL we just know better and don't care what they do up North to entertain themselves. We dress for comfort and don't have to look like everyone else when it comes to clothes.

Locals are all poor, drive rusted out cars, and are the people doing all the crime in the state?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM

240 posts, read 385,839 times
Quote:
Appallachtion as you wrote, compared to the actual spelling, "Appalachian."

There is more then a missing "i" there buddy.
It was "L" not "I" and anal describes your response to my post and if thats the case it's "than" not "then". So if you want to point out a mistype be my guest. My forefathers go back over five generations in Kentucky and I like the place, I have nothing against the region, just theives and crooks that rip off the uninformed and elderly. Maybe your one of them and you took offence to my reference and I make no apology for that.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 AM

57 posts, read 111,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I am a not a native of Florida but lived there (SW FL) several years ago.

I always thought the true native Floridians got a bad rep. You are right, most of the people in FL, especially SW FL, are from another state, but that didn't stop comments like you stated.

Some of the sleaziest/rudest/scumiest people I met in Florida were from places far away from Florida, but since they are in Florida now, they are counted in with the natives. These were younger to middle aged people.

But I enjoyed meeting all of the snowbirds when I worked at one of restaurants down there. They kept the economy going and generally were law abiding citizens.
I enjoy them too.. Most of them are very friendly, and the tourists also. Also like to chatter and talk about their homes and how they enjoy it down here. I don't find too many rude snowbirds, of course there are always exceptions but the overall effect of them seems to be they're decent people. Besides lets face it if they're snowbirds they're more than likely well educated hardworking people to be able to afford that lifestyle and are able to hold a conversation if u give them a chance

Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Florida is 11th highest state at retaining native born.
They must all be living in Jacksonville.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I have nothing against the region, just theives and crooks that rip off the uninformed and elderly. Maybe your one of them and you took offence to my reference and I make no apology for that.
No offense taken here, There are TONS of crooks in Kentucky, I'm from Florida and lived many years in Tennessee. Luckilly the chain runs through MANY states

Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

240 posts, read 385,839 times
Quote:
No offense taken here, There are TONS of crooks in Kentucky, I'm from Florida and lived many years in Tennessee. Luckilly the chain runs through MANY states
I'm a native myself and raised a family here in S. Fla. and considering your response to Mike Ryan your xenophobia is probably the reason your left.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm a native myself and raised a family here in S. Fla. and considering your response to Mike Ryan your xenophobia is probably the reason your left.
Right... I live in the 4th largest city in the U.S. and I suffer from xenophobia, want to try again ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida