Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
we were just told that our HOI will go up $200.00 per month in December, so 1 step forward 2 steps back..

Where do you live that you HOA is over $2400 a year? What is included in your HOA? And what is your current HOA fee?

One community I know has a high HOA fee, $212-$300 per month but it includes lawn care, including water for irrigation, cable, high speed Internet (Which is about $110 per month), tennis, swimming, health club and a few other amenities. So while it seems like a lot, it really isn't.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set4Life View Post
Some of the people who live in Florida are very creepy.
We have neighbors who never leave their house and
they call Code Enforcement on a lot of people in our
neighborhood. One day, the little man of the family
was outside and we heard "boom" where he had picked up
a large rock and threw it at our front door light for no reason.
His wife is half his age and twice his weight and cannot
look us straight in the eye. Not all of our neighbors are this creepy
but we do not find the folks to be very friendly here in Flori-duh.
I suspect this is true of any State. On the other hand, I live on a street with just 4 houses and a community of 210 homes. We've all lived here for many years. We all help each other all the time. During the hurricanes in 2004, my husband and I helped our elderly neighbors board up. We helped power their house with our generator. We cooked extra food and fed many of our elderly neighbors from our community. Other neighbors in the community help us distribute food and water.

When I had a death in my family, my neighbors were wonderful and provided quite a bit of help and support.

All Floridians are not like your neighbor.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Where do you live that you HOA is over $2400 a year? What is included in your HOA? And what is your current HOA fee?

One community I know has a high HOA fee, $212-$300 per month but it includes lawn care, including water for irrigation, cable, high speed Internet (Which is about $110 per month), tennis, swimming, health club and a few other amenities. So while it seems like a lot, it really isn't.
It's our Homeowner's INSURANCE not Homeowner's ASSOCIATION.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
It's our Homeowner's INSURANCE not Homeowner's ASSOCIATION.
Sorry about that but it looked like HOA to me at 4am.

So you are saying your insurance is going up $2400 a year? Where do you live? You must live on the coast cause inland rates have not increase like that unless you are insured but one of the companies trying to bail out of Florida.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieGirl View Post
I have noticed a huge trend of Floridians that have lived in FL 5+ years are looking to leave. Where are all of you relocating to and why?
We relocated to Ohio & the reason why was pay. My husband has 3 degrees (in criminal justice) & he was working for the state of Florida making $25,000 a year. The same job but with the state of Ohio & he is making close to $60,000 a year & the cost of housing is so much cheaper....only bill we have different is a heating bill...but we dont have to run our AC like we did in Florida so it kinda makes up the difference.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:44 AM

9 posts, read 17,544 times
Default State of Washington

This is going to be a tough decision because I'm actually a NATIVE of Florida with a large family here (is there any one else out there in this category?) But I bought a vacation home in WA last year to enjoy the amazing landscape - mountains, redwood trees, snow skiing through June, white water rafting in the Columbia River Gorge....and there's no state income tax here, either.

After 2 summers I'm thinking about selling out in Florida and relocating here permanently. It isn't perfect here, either. Far from it. But the lifestyle fits me better as a young-ish, laid back semi-professional who wants to spend a lot of time outdoors - and afford to not work all the time!

Hey, Jeff, can you recommend a good realtor in Charlotte County?

Last edited by LuvOldFlorida; 08-30-2006 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 AM

47 posts, read 273,241 times
Exclamation Why we are going, and to where.....

Yes, LuvOldFlorida, I, too, am in your category--a native Floridian with a large family still in the area.
My particular reasons for leaving:
1) I'm tired of 2 seasons here--drought/wildfire season, and hurricane season.
2) Property taxes in my county (north central Florida) are outrageous: $6,500 per year for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house on 1/2 acre.
3) Even though I'm at least 60 miles from the coast, my homeowner's insurance rates are creeping higher and higher and higher.
4) Urban sprawl and increased traffic (but that's just about anywhere).
5) Incessant heat and humidity that can start in April and last through most of October.
6) My city is home to 65,000 college students--restaurants and retail cater to the younger set.
7) Our downtown is overrun with vagrants.
8) Our downtown could be an attractive, historically appealing area, but is semi-rundown, and taken over with cheesey-looking bars (including one with black and white Holstein cow spots), nightclubs, etc. Recent additions include several UGLY parking garages and an atrocious- looking courthouse.
Of course, there ARE nice things about the area here: family, and a wonderful period of 4 1/2 months where the weather is fantastic. There are also many outdoor recreational opportunities here than can be enjoyed in cooler weather.
Where I'm hoping to go (when I retire in 4 years, 3 months, and 16 days).
***TENNESSEE (eastern)***
1) Four seasons (and shorter summers).
2) Lower property taxes.
3) Lower insurance.
4) Less urban sprawl.
5) Cooler weather year-round where one can enjoy recreational activities most of the year, without having the life sapped out of you with heat and sweat.
6) Attractive, history-rich towns.
7) MOUNTAINS and HILLS
8) My roots are in Tennessee. I've visited there often when I had family living in the area.
It mainly boils down to the fact that I can't retire and afford to stay here on a small pension. And I want to retire!
AND I HATE THE HEAT.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up Thanks, BUP

I don't like to list all the reasons I'm probably moving away. You did it so well. Thanks! Your description sounds just like my home town, Gainesville. You must either live there or the other college town farther north...

Folks, BUP has perfectly described the state of Florida today. Uncontrolled population influx has many consequences. And the weather is only for those who enjoy sweating all year long. Why are you all so desperate to be a part of this?!

Last edited by LuvOldFlorida; 08-30-2006 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 AM

58 posts, read 416,851 times
Default Wher are you moving?

If you do not want the State you are fleeing to, to become like the State you are fleeing from, I would suggest that you keep the new State's name a treasured secret, otherwise you will encourage a flood of new arrivals eager to change everything which over time will certainly leave you fleeing that State. Just a thought.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Good idea, Williamter! Is this better?!

I wouldn't say I'm fleeing Florida. I just like my vacation home so much. It's more like being drawn to a beautiful place rather than being repelled by something. Overall it's based in the positive, not in the negative. The negatives just tip the scale.

Last edited by LuvOldFlorida; 08-30-2006 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida