Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times

Advertisements

I was in a rolling road block 3 across for awhile and then we all had to use the far right lane to go around........

Notice the same 2 cars in left and center lane............

Interesting day. I passed a guy twice that was in the left lane. I had to do a rest stop.
Funny thing was he had a 4 dr. Porsche and it was stuck on 70 mph exactly all the way.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Was so dubious about it? Of course, IF the laws are changed. But those are not the laws right now. We have low speed limits and there are no road signs that state the left lane is for passing only(slower traffic signs are too vague), so policemen can't ticket drivers for driving on that lane. Of course the speed limits would have go be raised a little but in the meantime we can't go around tailgating people for abiding the law. Whether we like or not there are plenty of people who are not familiar with places where the left lane is used for passing ONLY Nowhere in the Floridas driving manual says that, just that faster traffic should go on that lane. Wheather we agree with them or not, the current laws doesn't say that
Florida Statute 316.081(2):
"Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."

If traffic is moving 90, someone going the speed limit in the left lane can get a ticket under this statute whether you think the signs are vague or not.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
"Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."

If traffic is moving 90, someone going the speed limit in the left lane can get a ticket under this statute whether you think the signs are vague or not.
it's not what I think or you think. It's what is being enforced by the police. In that case if the police officer feels like issuing a ticket, one of the drivers going at 90 will get it. How many people do you know that have gotten a ticket for gong at the speed limit? I bet you zero, that will not stand in court and the police knows better. Now of course if you are doing 40 on any lane you could get a ticket but thats because you are going under the minimum speed. What matters is what's being enforced. If one day they decide to ticket everyone that is using the left lane as a driving lane, I'll guarantee you most people will only use it for passing. But we are not in Europe, we are not in Ohio, so it's pointless to expect everyone to change their driving habits unless they start ticketing people.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM

137 posts, read 407,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I have driven I-4 Orlando to Tampa for years now and it never ceases to amaze me how many inconsiderate drivers are on the road. The FHP needs to increase their presence big time on Florida highways and start ticketing folks. If FHP doesn't have enough resources, hire some at the expense of the taxpayers.

Good thing I'm not in charge because I'd make some changes
I wish that would happen but it won't. FHP has already had about 250 positions cut in the last couple of years. I can pretty much promise even more will be cut in the coming years. The State of Florida won't properly fund them so that's why you don't see enough out there.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post

That statute doesn't apply if the "slow" driver is going 70 in a posted 70. The speed limit is the speed LIMIT.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'll probably get shouted down for this, but I think the cause of most traffic accidents on Interstates are due to those not moving with the flow of traffic. If you're doing 55 in the left lane and traffic is averaging 65 or higher in all lanes, you're a moving hazard. The same would go for someone doing 80 in the middle lane while weaving in/out while others are averaging 65.
The major cause of crashes on the interstate is careless driving. If people would pay attention to the actual task at hand, there wouldn't be as many crashes. The majority of large, multi vehicle crashes on an interstate that I've been to in my career, and I've been to plenty, were usually started by a single vehicle crash where the first car drove off the road. The secondary crashes start to happen when the other people aren't paying attention to what's going on in front of them.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 PM

And of course now the latest fad is to take a picture of the police officer while he is yelling at you to pay attention as you plow into the back of the stopped car in front of you.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
That statute doesn't apply if the "slow" driver is going 70 in a posted 70. The speed limit is the speed LIMIT.

why do driver insist on driving side by side for miles and miles, speed limit or no speed limit ? we are only talking passing a 70 mph vehicle at 74 ?? not bump drafting at 95........... just bad manners IMHO........ they would do the same thing at 30 mph in a 40 mph zone because they have a left turn coming up in 4 miles......

Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
What part of the speed limit is the speed LIMIT you did not understand?

And anyone that drives a car knows it takes more than 4 miles to pass a car, otherwise you are gonna be driving side by side for a long time.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
Where exactly does the law say that? I don't see anything exempting cars driving the speed limit from blocking the left lane. Unless it explicitly states that it doesn't apply to cars driving the speed limit, it does.

The Florida speed limit statute is 316.183. It's completely separate from 316.081, the left lane law. And to prove my point, 316.183(5) says:

"No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law."

By the law, a police officer can't write a 316.183(5) impeding the flow of traffic citation if the person is driving the speed limit. Since 316.018 (the left lane law) does NOT make that distinction, you can absolutely get cited for it.

If traffic is moving 90 and someone is going the speed limit in the left lane, EVERYONE can get a ticket. The speeders can be cited as violating 316.183 (speeding) and the person driving the speed limit in the left lane can be cited for violating 316.018 for not keeping right.

I'm not saying that the left lane driver would get a ticket over a speeder, just that they're all breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida