Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times

Advertisements

The left lane ........is it a passing or travel lane? Why is it that so many people in Florida drive in the left lane ( especially on the highway ) like they are the only ones on the road?

My pet peeve: I hate people who drive in the left lane on the highway for miles and miles at speed limit or below while the center travel lane is unoccupied. It causes everyone to pass on the right. Even worse is when same people travel side by side with center lane at the same speed. Rolling road block. no wonder there are so many crazy people passing on the right.

Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit). These vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

I have started to see many text'ers in the left lane oblivious to any traffic behind them. I drive I-75 and I-4 all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Its not something that only happens in Florida, its just a general rude, discourteous, obnoxious,uncaring attitude that is pervasive on most multi laned roads in N.America these days, either the driver is totally oblivious to his rude behaviour while he uses his electronic gizmos or he is some mental midget who enjoys getting a brief taste of control/power in his otherwise pathetic little life by impeding the progress of others.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
What amazes me is the seemingly passive-aggressive attitude of some drivers who see me coming, turn into my lane in front of me, and then proceed to drive 20 mph.
And yes, these drivers are often talking on the cellphone.
This practice can't be deliberate, but it sure feels like it. I think they are just in their own little world.

There is one stretch of road in my little town where I and others pass on the right almost every day--this is partly because of signage, though.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its not something that only happens in Florida, its just a general rude, discourteous, obnoxious,uncaring attitude that is pervasive on most multi laned roads in N.America these days, either the driver is totally oblivious to his rude behaviour while he uses his electronic gizmos or he is some mental midget who enjoys getting a brief taste of control/power in his otherwise pathetic little life by impeding the progress of others.
I've lived in a few other states and have driving experiencing in several states and can say it's definitely a Florida affectation. I really don't get it. Flashing your lights Autobahn-style sometimes works but then you get the passive-aggressive types that'll slow down even more or vary their speed so you can't pass on the right. When caught behind one, scenes from the movie Mad Max and the Thunderdome sometimes play in my head as therapeutic relief I must confess.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I've seen it in Georgia, Texas, NY as well. I've come to enjoy the right lane at the speed limit - I find I have the lane to myself. Only problem is entering traffic, but other than that, I have plenty of room while the rest of the traffic enjoys the left, center lanes.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
I hate to say it's just the way it is, but it is. I guess it's a natural by-product when you have so many people here originially from other parts of the country. The police need to crack down on it, but they're busy doing other things, I guess.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
If they are going at the speed limit, no one should be complaining. You would be breaking the rules, not them.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM

78,418 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I think FL has the worst driving I've seen due to:

1) Vacationers not knowing where they are going \ gawking
2) Elderly drivers (enough to have diminished skills)
3) Foreign drivers
4) The younger locals driving fast and weaving in and out because they constantly have to deal with #1-3.

Around here we don't have the left lane parkers so much...we have the right lane parkers on 3 lane roads chatting away on cell phones. They pretty much make merging very difficult around here as some of the merges are short distances.

Most of the problem around here is related to cell phone use.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
If they are going at the speed limit, no one should be complaining. You would be breaking the rules, not them.
Usually that outside lane is considered the passing lane and people who just drive the speed limit in it and arent passing anyone are the left lane campers who get every one riled up and are holding up people who do want to pass and perhaps go faster than the speed limit...

Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Usually that outside lane is considered the passing lane and people who just drive the speed limit in it and arent passing anyone are the left lane campers who get every one riled up and are holding up people who do want to pass and perhaps go faster than the speed limit...
You are not supposed to go over the speed limit, whether you are just driving or passing. That's not gonna hold up in court if the police gives you a ticket for speeding.

Yes it would be easier for slower traffic to go on the right, but that's no excuse for going above the speed limit. If someone is driving at the the speed limit and it bothers you, you are the one being inconsiderate and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida