Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,084 times

Advertisements

Since the standard now in effect in Florida is to keep all vehicle titles and liens in electronic form, I was wondering if anybody here had done so (didn't pay the extra money for a paper title). What was your experience with it? Are you OK with it? Do you feel unsafe not having the paper title in hand (or in the safety deposit box)? Will the FL DMV information be safe is a hurricane hits it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Since the standard now in effect in Florida is to keep all vehicle titles and liens in electronic form, I was wondering if anybody here had done so (didn't pay the extra money for a paper title). What was your experience with it? Are you OK with it? Do you feel unsafe not having the paper title in hand (or in the safety deposit box)? Will the FL DMV information be safe is a hurricane hits it?
Those are good questions..

I would never feel safe with an electronic document. What happens if their drives get wiped or something ? Theres no proof you own it..

Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Default They just want more money!

I was going to start a thread about this topic until I saw this one. It's bad enough that the Federal Government is on a "let's put your life online" campaign, but now we can't even ask the lender to send a vehicle title when we satisfy a loan at least in Florida. This was a surprise to me when I called Suncoast Schools FCU a few days ago. I mean, it's my car!

[URL="http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/emt.htm"]Explanation From The Florida Department of Highway Safety[/URL]

I know I can get a copy but I don't like the way they assume it's safer for me.

"Electronically maintaining the title to your vehicle eliminates the risk of losing it and having to pay title fees to obtain a duplicate. It is also an effective fraud deterrent because potential thieves will not have access to your title."

Everything is online anyway, so that's not my complaint. It's just that there are so many unlicensed drivers in Florida and a large percentage of vehicles on the road aren't insured. I have a legal license, I'm fully insured, and then I'm told that the bank I paid off can't send me the title to my car.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Those are good questions..

I would never feel safe with an electronic document. What happens if their drives get wiped or something ? Theres no proof you own it..
Always keep printed records if possible. In 2002 I got a speeding ticket (my first in FL) and paid it immediately. Then I took the traffic school course and mailed the Certificate of Completion as required. A few months later I received a nasty suspension notice from Tallahassee. After pulling my hair out and having a hissy fit, I was able to calm down long enough to call the Lee County Clerk and, after faxing a copy of my canceled check and the school certificate (which I had mailed certified, return receipt requested!) the problem was resolved. I know it sounds silly, since I get a safe driver discount from State Farm and I renewed my license in 2007 without a hitch, but I still keep all the paperwork related to that mix-up in a file folder.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
With electronic title and i presume drivers license soon to follow how do you show some one these documents if you dont happen to have a computer close by?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM

Default You can always get a printed copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With electronic title and i presume drivers license soon to follow how do you show some one these documents if you dont happen to have a computer close by?
You can request the title by mail. The DMV will mail it to the last known address on file. I guess you can go to your local library and use its computer to fill out the online application. Otherwise, you can go to the local Tax Collector.

RE: Driver's License. Of course you'll always have a photo ID in your wallet or car. BTW I like doing everything online. In 2007 I renewed my driver's license and all I had to do was fill out an online form and pay the fee by credit card. They used the same picture, so now I really look a lot older than my driver's license. LOL By 2013 it will be a 12 year old photo. I think using online applications is a lot easier. I always renew my car registration online.

A new driver's license will probably always be in person. They want to see proof of residence, your social security card and birth certificate or passport.

My earlier rant was only because the title isn't automatically mailed to the owner once the loan is satisfied (which is the way it's always been done) but it's still available upon request.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-29-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
When did this nonsense start? I bought my last vehicle in 2005 and have a paper title.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
When did this nonsense start? I bought my last vehicle in 2005 and have a paper title.
Here is a link.

[url=http://ffdhsmv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/~/electronic-title]Electronic title[/url]

They're not saying you can't have a paper title sent to you if requested. However, the method of obtaining one has changed and in 2009, the Florida Legislature authorized a $2.50 fee. I think the owner has to apply for the title online. Then it takes about 2 weeks to get it in the mail after they check for liens.

It's really not a big deal. I just felt like ranting.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder if the FL DMV has a point. It would be good to hear different viewpoints. Many people lose the title. If you don't have it to begin with, you can't lose it. They charge $75 for a duplicate title. I hope it doesn't seem as if I am hijacking the thread, considering it's been a year since the OP posted.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-29-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,373 times
Paper titles are an anachronism. The state tracks car ownership anyway. Why the need for a special piece of paper when the state already has you in their database?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
The state tracks car ownership anyway. Why the need for a special piece of paper when the state already has you in their database?
That's a valid point, but this article says that it's mainly to save the states and lenders money.

"States with huge financial deficits like California see ELT as a major money saver"

As of May 2011, 16 states have adopted ELT, probably more by now.

[URL="http://www.cutimes.com/2011/05/11/states-look-to-electronic-titles-to-cut-costs-prev"]States Look to Electronic Titles to Cut Costs, Prevent Fraud[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Paper titles are an anachronism.
I guess I feel the same way about mailing a bill or writing a check, but a lot of people still prefer that method. Wells Fargo began asking if, when you use the ATM, you prefer an email to a paper receipt. I like it, but I'm sure many people want to get that little receipt from the ATM. A lot of people just aren't comfortable using computers, although you might find that difficult to believe.

Well, I have to admit this was new to me. I must have missed reading about it a few years ago. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if I didn't pay off a car loan recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida