Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess you would consider me a fiscal conservative, right? I don't think we should be spending a penny on international "aid" aka bribes and I think we probably could be cutting the defense budget by a huge amount and I hope we do. That still doesn't change the fact that this is a useless and unneeded program that will result in INCREASED TAXES to FLORIDIANS. It is not just the federal money that we are talking about. It is the future cost to the state that nearly everyone knows will occur. It also doesn't change the FACT that the debt is a real problem (not smoke and mirrors) and until it is under control, we need to limit (not forever-just until we can afford it) all discretionary spending. I am just amazed that you guys cannot see that this is the prudent thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Well, I guess you would consider me a fiscal conservative, right? I don't think we should be spending a penny on international "aid" aka bribes and I think we probably could be cutting the defense budget by a huge amount and I hope we do. That still doesn't change the fact that this is a useless and unneeded program that will result in INCREASED TAXES to FLORIDIANS. It is not just the federal money that we are talking about. It is the future cost to the state that nearly everyone knows will occur. It also doesn't change the FACT that the debt is a real problem (not smoke and mirrors) and until it is under control, we need to limit (not forever-just until we can afford it) all discretionary spending. I am just amazed that you guys cannot see that this is the prudent thing to do.
This is another subject but as long as we spend billions "A DAY", on wars there will be no reducing the debt. Most of the considered cuts are like someone proposing collecting aluminum cans. It is so meaningless as to be laughable. yet those cuts punish the American people almost like the sanctions we do to other countries to punish them. What have the American people done wrong to deserve this kind of punishment from it's own government? Mean time all you see politicians doing is playing golf and going on million dollar book tours. Even when you see them on Fox or MSNBC they are paid. Politics to them is a business, not a service or calling, and we are little more then chattel to be exploited. No matter what side you are on in any of this, no one can like what our government has evolved into. We are run by big business and big money. Our polititions are bought and sold like a third world country. Most elected officials if they are not stealing for themselves are in the pockets of others still getting rich. The Tea party people are really suckers being used by smart politicians like a bunch of stooges. That is just the way it is and will never change. It is just easier to see now then it was a 100 years ago.

Last edited by mango23; 02-27-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Doesn't mean anything as long as someone can go from place to place using the same script without any records. It is so easy it is a joke. They ask almost no questions, It is all a wink and a nod. Then the pills go straight to the street selling by the pill.
Pam Bondi is honestly trying to crack down on drug abuse, both prescription and otherwise, but is not getting a whole bunch of support from the governor.

Maybe Scott's trying to keep the 'jobs, jobs, jobs' mantra going by encouraging drug junkie tourism. You know that Florida's become well-known in that regard among the criminal and not-so-criminal community when fictional tv shows are starting to use that as a plot point. (See a recent episode of 'Justified')

Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Quote:
The Tea party people are really suckers being used by smart politicians like a bunch of stooges.
I guess time will tell but I don't see it that at all. If anything, the ones I have seen are the real deal, committed to ending the exact same practices you discussed in your comments. If anything, I think you are already seeing the entrenched politicians seeing the writing on the wall and they are now following the lead of the Tea Party reps lest they find themselves swept away with this new tide of public opinion. I understand that there will always be social liberals and conservatives but both should agree and understand that nothing can happen unless the money is there to pay for it. The era of borrowing and taxing to pay for endless federal programs, and mandating unfunded programs for the states, and STILL going into even greater debt is over....I hope.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Rubio definitely suckered the Tea Party crowd. He's as an establisment politician as you can throw a RPOF American Express card at. And yet he was glad to use the Tea Party because they had the ability to get him around Charlie Crist in the Senate primary.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
This is another subject but as long as we spend billions "A DAY", on wars there will be no reducing the debt. Most of the considered cuts are like someone proposing collecting aluminum cans. It is so meaningless as to be laughable. yet those cuts punish the American people almost like the sanctions we do to other countries to punish them. What have the American people done wrong to deserve this kind of punishment from it's own government? Mean time all you see politicians doing is playing golf and going on million dollar book tours. Even when you see them on Fox or MSNBC they are paid. Politics to them is a business, not a service or calling, and we are little more then chattel to be exploited. No matter what side you are on in any of this, no one can like what our government has evolved into. We are run by big business and big money. Our polititions are bought and sold like a third world country. Most elected officials if they are not stealing for themselves are in the pockets of others still getting rich. The Tea party people are really suckers being used by smart politicians like a bunch of stooges. That is just the way it is and will never change. It is just easier to see now then it was a 100 years ago.
We are blinded by partisanship.

Our politicians are the problem.

Big business and big union use these corrupt individuals for their agendas.

Never mind which end of the political spectrum you fall, it is OUR fault.

You get the government you deserve.

That goes for all of us.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,447 times
I'll stick mainly to the topic at hand here, being a relative outsider (snowbirder from Canada.) I have read the entire thread, and will base my comments on items that I have gleaned from it.

Having just got back from another trip to Florida, I can say I am depressed by how car-dependent the state is. We here in Canada have made many mistakes with regard to public transit--Toronto has fallen way behind in that regard, after being an exemplar in the 70's. But we still have an effective rail corridor (not high-speed, but good), among the major cities in my area, and decent public transit in those centers.

But folks, your entrenched car culture must change--the writing is on the wall. Even if it takes decades or generations to change the patterns of urban growth, it MUST be started now. Public transit systems will develop around the rail lines to support people coming and going and getting to where they want to go.

I also agree that this project will spawn many jobs, and benefit many business that will employ Floridians.

Not sure why few here are talking about only the Tampa-Orlando stretch. This is supposed to go across to the coast and down to Miami, right? Am I missing something?

As for who would use it--what about all the retirees? I would love to be able to hop on a train in Tampa and take it to Ft Lauderdale so I could board a cruise ship. Without driving across the state. Older seniors would especially love this I think.

I think it might appeal to tourists as well, those who want to be on a beach, but want to go to Disney too. Disney would build support systems believe me. And I agree it would open up Tampa to cruise ships providing day trips by rail to Disney.

In our situation, Florida is still a good place to retire (or winter, in our case.) But as we age, public transit options could extend the period of time we could stay, or increase our quality of life.

I, for one, have lived all my life with effective mass transit and good rail connections to various places. Believe me, it *will* improve things, in the long term.

Your highways are clogged. If you want growth in the future, you are crazy not to support this. I know, I know, the country's broke. But if the money is really just going to be given to another state, then it's a no-brainer.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Rubio definitely suckered the Tea Party crowd. He's as an establisment politician as you can throw a RPOF American Express card at. And yet he was glad to use the Tea Party because they had the ability to get him around Charlie Crist in the Senate primary.
At least he can create gridlock, something that would be refreshing after the last 2 years of "hope and change" rammed down our throats by Obama, Reid and Pelosi and Co

Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
ably not even a viable business and will disappear.

You know, this is not a political thing, 42 other states are doing it and more coming on board be they they Rep. or Dem. It is a Rick Scott thing, there is something wrong with this man.

Prescription drug battle: Politicians ask Gov. Rick Scott to reverse stand on prescription drug monitoring program - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Yeah i see what you are talking about

Pill mills thrive as Gov. Scott nixes database - Carl Hiaasen - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/26/2086113/pill-mills-thrive-as-gov-scott.html - broken link)

Its unfortunate.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah i see what you are talking about

Pill mills thrive as Gov. Scott nixes database - Carl Hiaasen - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/26/2086113/pill-mills-thrive-as-gov-scott.html - broken link)

Its unfortunate.
That is some article and worth reading by anyone who doesn't really understand the problem.

I am sorry to say most of my knowledge comes from personal experience. I am not a drug dealer or user but I knew lots of them and know a lot about illegal business of all kinds. I knew everyone from pimps to hit men and everything in between. When I made the comment about maybe Scott being in fear, I was not being completely sarcastic. This whole thing makes so little sense anything is possible. When a wise guy says, "Say hello to your family and that pretty wife for me" it is completely understood what he is saying.

Last edited by mango23; 02-27-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida