Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:54 PM

26 posts, read 204,000 times

Advertisements

I am movng to Florida in a few weeks and am bringing my small dog.
Up here my Vet has given us "Frontline Top Spot" against fleas & ticks.
We also use "Interceptor" against heartworms.
Do you think this should be the same meds to use in Florida?
I Thank You and my little Dog Thanks You for any information!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,214,739 times
Yes, we use the same meds. I have a bichon and she gets an injection for heartworms from the vet that lasts for 6 months. That way I don't have to 'remember'...and she has used both Advantage and Frontline. Both are available. Welcome to Florida,

Old 08-26-2006, 05:39 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
I use Revolution. It is a combo for heartworm and flea control. The dog before this one used Sentinel, also a combo but in pill form.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:14 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,579 times
Frontline and Interceptor are fine...heartgard is good too, as long as the dog is on something consistently. I work for a vet and we hear alot of "I haven't been doing it regularly" and that puts your pet (and possibly others he comes in contact with) at risk. We moved here from Wisconsin last year and had used heargard and frontline, and our vet down here switched us to interceptor, and they both work great, the interceptor protects against one other kind of parasite than heartgard, so it just kind of depends on what your dog is exposed to. I will also mention the bofu toads that a surprising amount of people down here are unfamiliar with. They are poisionous and can kill (and commonly do if not treated immediately) your dog if the dog licks or eats the toad. It is really important to educate yourself about these toads because they are all over Florida and potentially fatal

Old 08-26-2006, 06:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
I live in NW Florida, (the Panhandle), and I use the Heartguard for my three dogs, for protection against heartworms. It's a monthly treatment, and you can get it in either pill form or chewable. I get the chewable kind; they think they are getting a treat. For fleas, I just use Hartz or Seargant's, off the shelf, and an occasional flea bath. Seems to work for me. Once you find a vet that you like and trust, going by their recommendation will probably be your best bet. Good luck! Hope you and your little companion enjoy Florida!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:39 PM

26 posts, read 204,000 times
Thumbs up Thanks for you help!

Thank you all so much for your good advise.
It is so important to me that my Dog stays well & happy.
PIA - I will check out that "six-month shot." If it is good for a small dog - it seems like a good thing.
I'm am concerned about those Boufo Frogs.... my little dog is very curious,
but will be sure to check with friends and other dog owners in the neighborhood.
I am so grateful that I can take my dog with me. So many places up here do not allow dogs (rentals, condos). It's so sad, because so many people, especially elderly people would benefit from having a lively little companion.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,725 times
I use OTC flea control on my "short-stack" and he hasn't had a problem. We did not have to increase or change any meds for our dog.

As for bofus, gators, etc., these vary wildly by location. Where I live we have no snakes, gators or toads. It really depends on whether you are coastal or inland, and/or rural or urban.

If you are rural and inland, yes, keep your dog on a very short leash.

As always, ask your neighbor for local information. We just had new people move next door from Arizona and they were a little freaked out at first by all of the critters. The only thing we have in our 'hood is fire ants by the millions (I do not leave my dog in my yard unattended).

Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 PM

63 posts, read 302,787 times
Ditto, same meds. Only thing s don't forget them. In Sofla. they are a necessity, especially in the City during rainy season.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM

165 posts, read 653,336 times
Smile Meds for pets for fleas...

What you are using is fine. I use advantage for my cat, but she is indoor. frontline is better all around. Your heartworm medicine is also okay, especially if your baby is used to it. If you have a backyard or grassy apartment patio, many spray certain products in the grass that lasts from 1-6 months depending on the product. Do your homework before using because some stuff is worse than others. (My kitty baby is indoors, but friends with outdoor pets use it sometimes.) I should tell you that you can get frontline and other stuff over the counter in some pet shops, etc. no matter what they say. It is nice to pick up some when you need it and save the vet for checkups and prescriptions when you go. Peace.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
What you are using is fine. I use advantage for my cat, but she is indoor. frontline is better all around. Your heartworm medicine is also okay, especially if your baby is used to it. If you have a backyard or grassy apartment patio, many spray certain products in the grass that lasts from 1-6 months depending on the product. Do your homework before using because some stuff is worse than others. (My kitty baby is indoors, but friends with outdoor pets use it sometimes.) I should tell you that you can get frontline and other stuff over the counter in some pet shops, etc. no matter what they say. It is nice to pick up some when you need it and save the vet for checkups and prescriptions when you go. Peace.
Frontline and other flea/tick control products are generally otc, but heartgard and other heartworm meds are not, so for me, it's just much more convenient to get it all at the same time/place. Some vets or pet stores will even match prices from companies like petmeds or places like that, and that's a better bet because the stuff you get from alot of those kinds of companies is not gauranteed like it is if you get it directly from your vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: