Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

831 posts, read 2,439,067 times

Advertisements

It really doesn't matter what state you live in, I thought it would be fun to compare the things you took for granted when you lived in one state and moved to another. For Instance

I am originally from NJ didn't realize how often we used those u-turns.lol When I first moved to Florida making a left hand turn on the four lane highways was pretty challenging.

I miss getting my gas pumped by someone else.

It took me awhile to get use to someone touching my groceries. We use to bag our own. I am spoiled now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,263 times
I took good milk for granted. I took street lights for granted.
Having a sight problem has made me virtually a prisoner here after the sun sets.
Next time I move bet your bottom dollar I'll make sure there are street lights.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
It really doesn't matter what state you live in, I thought it would be fun to compare the things you took for granted when you lived in one state and moved to another. For Instance

I am originally from NJ didn't realize how often we used those u-turns.lol When I first moved to Florida making a left hand turn on the four lane .
In SWFL (PG to be more exact):sidewalks, trees (I've never considered a palm tree a functioning "tree"), street lights, community events for those under 65, professional sport teams, accredited universities

The only thing I miss about SWFL is taking our son bright & early to Sanibel on Sat morning. I'm not a beach person anymore, but it was joy to watch him play in the water & look at the shells. Sanibel was a nice.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
I missed good crunchy-on-the-outside Italian or sour dough bread. It's mooshy here. They say it's the humidity. I also missed having choices as to where I do my food shopping. Here it's Publix or Publix. I got used to the weather, both winter and summer, fairly fast.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,708 times
Quote:

I am originally from NJ didn't realize how often we used those u-turns.lol When I first moved to Florida making a left hand turn on the four lane highways was pretty challenging.

I miss getting my gas pumped by someone else.

It took me awhile to get use to someone touching my groceries. We use to bag our own. I am spoiled now.
I miss the "Jug Handles". I had to get used to a "laid back" attitude, prejudice toward people from NJ and NYC, lack of mass transit. I can go on but these are the biggest things I had tto get used to.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Default Yes, all those things are lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
In SWFL (PG to be more exact):sidewalks, trees (I've never considered a palm tree a functioning "tree"), street lights, community events for those under 65, professional sport teams, accredited universities

The only thing I miss about SWFL is taking our son bright & early to Sanibel on Sat morning. I'm not a beach person anymore, but it was joy to watch him play in the water & look at the shells. Sanibel was a nice.
although I lived in Suffolk County on LI, and we didn't have sidewalks on the residential streets. I cannot think of one single thing I will miss when I go back. Maybe Publix. It's a nice store. I like their bakery and all varied goods you can buy from around the US. Catering to snowbirds?

Back to the OP. Those turn lanes. That used to scare me to death. All that traffic coming at me and waiting FOREVER to be able to change directions.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I miss the "Jug Handles". I had to get used to a "laid back" attitude, prejudice toward people from NJ and NYC, lack of mass transit. I can go on but these are the biggest things I had tto get used to.

I thought if I used "jug handles" people would have no idea what I was talking about.lol

Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM

Well another confusing one was a two lane highway with an additional lane to turn left... All the lights turned green except for the lane I am in (which is the left) there is no green, yellow or red. Do you go or wait?

Also I was involved in an accident, not my fault, I was always told to wait until the cops came (in NJ) not here, I was told to get my car out of the way, your blocking traffic!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I missed good crunchy-on-the-outside Italian or sour dough bread. It's mooshy here. They say it's the humidity. I also missed having choices as to where I do my food shopping. Here it's Publix or Publix. I got used to the weather, both winter and summer, fairly fast.

I miss that too, but was told its the water

Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,708 times
Quote:
I thought if I used "jug handles" people would have no idea what I was talking about.lol
I gave someone who had never been to NJ directions and told them to use the jug handle. They got lost because they couldn't find the traffic signs indicating the jug handle.

Bread and pizza are better in NJ because of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida