Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM

29 posts, read 56,560 times

Advertisements

I moved from PA to MN...

I took for granted mature trees, hills, and mountains!!!

I also miss good Italian food!

Oh, it was so nice to be close enough to drive to the shore!

Biblegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Just wondering, did you ever live in Florida? you mention PA and MN, but no part of Florida.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
No Italian bakeries, like in St. Joseph's zeppolis, etc. No Italian bakeries in NAPLES? Somebody posted there is ONE in Bonita. That is it?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
My neighborhood is more diverse in Florida then the town I came from but I don't feel that my kids have their independence here in Florida.
Really? Well, it is probably more diverse than where my husband grew up too. (very rural town in CT). However, it was my experience I was relating too, and my hometown is extremely diverse. Albeit FL is diverse, but they don't seem to mingle together. it's more "them", and "them"
I'd love to know what you mean by "independence"? We are moving our child north for various reasons, so I'm curious what you mean.

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I don't think I could get use to nor would I want to the large amount of poverty and begging and homelessness I see in Portland and the general area. I have never seen anything to compare with this to such a large extent that I see here, not even in the much bigger cities back east. There is begging in grocery stores on buses on streets even the entrance to a hospital up the street from me. It is not based on the dire economy it has been this way for decades Im told. It seems to be an acceptable or alternative lifestyle here. Many seem used to it, I would never want to get use to it.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't think I could get use to nor would I want to the large amount of poverty and begging and homelessness I see in Portland and the general area. I have never seen anything to compare with this to such a large extent that I see here, not even in the much bigger cities back east. There is begging in grocery stores on buses on streets even the entrance to a hospital up the street from me. It is not based on the dire economy it has been this way for decades Im told. It seems to be an acceptable or alternative lifestyle here. Many seem used to it, I would never want to get use to it.
Well, that is the way FL has always been. It is much nicer to be homeless and poverty stricken where the seasons are mild than where you have the elements that could kill you. That unfortunate part of FL will never change.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Really? Well, it is probably more diverse than where my husband grew up too. (very rural town in CT). However, it was my experience I was relating too, and my hometown is extremely diverse. Albeit FL is diverse, but they don't seem to mingle together. it's more "them", and "them"
I'd love to know what you mean by "independence"? We are moving our child north for various reasons, so I'm curious what you mean.

Thanks!
I agree with your comment about mingling. I haven't found anyone who really mingles here.lol To answer your question what I meant about independence was I still talk to my friends in NJ and we compare notes about our kids. They have children the same as as mine. I hear the stories about them riding their bikes around town (going to the park) and being outside (hot or cold weather) and then coming home when dinner is ready. I haven't found that here in Florida. I won't let them ride their bikes outside the development because of the busy roads and there really isn't a place for them to go and mingle with their friends close by and I am so afraid of the abductions. I feel like they are more dependent on me because they are limited as to where they can go and what they can do here.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Well, that is the way FL has always been. It is much nicer to be homeless and poverty stricken where the seasons are mild than where you have the elements that could kill you. That unfortunate part of FL will never change.
I have been to Florida a number of times and I did see it there, but this here in Oregon is a very different form of it.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I had to get used to not shovelling snow or scraping off my windshield to get to work in the morning.

I had to get used to walking to a local ice cream stand in January, in shorts, to get an ice cream cone and worry about it melting.

I had to get used to being able to go to the beach any time I wanted without it being a major trip.

I had to get used to the different culture. That was wonderful. I learned to enjoy the local foods, and knowing when I went back to visit, I could enjoy the local foods there.
I learned to enjoy the abundance of wildlife.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Grandma - I'll trade places if these things are an issue for you;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida