Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Doesn't Florida have fresh fish right off the boat?
I only spent time in Orlando so I never got a chance to get fish from the boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
This is a fun post. I've lived in so many places so I'll take a few things from all over.
1. I miss PeaPod. There is nothing better than being able to shop every aisle online, ring it up and have your grocercies delivered to you. They should really expand to FL.
2. I miss tree lawns (anyone from OH will know what I mean)
3. I miss quality grocery stores and not just Publix
4. Lack of seasons, and wearing a bikini on Christmas
5. winding streets
6. I had to get used to eating sub-par pizza
7. I had to get used to taking my groceries to the car. In OH, you drove up and they loaded them (even if you only had 4 bags)

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
This is a fun post. I've lived in so many places so I'll take a few things from all over.
1. I miss PeaPod. There is nothing better than being able to shop every aisle online, ring it up and have your grocercies delivered to you. They should really expand to FL.
2. I miss tree lawns (anyone from OH will know what I mean)
3. I miss quality grocery stores and not just Publix
4. Lack of seasons, and wearing a bikini on Christmas
5. winding streets
6. I had to get used to eating sub-par pizza
7. I had to get used to taking my groceries to the car. In OH, you drove up and they loaded them (even if you only had 4 bags)
I'd love to have stores that load the groceries into the car.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'd love to have stores that load the groceries into the car.
I hated it actually, until I I had to walk my groceries to my car in the driving rain a couple times when I first moved to FL.
Then, I appreciated it. Heinens, the local grocer up there has a policy that no customer is to take carts to their car. Thus, if you have enough groceries that you can't hold them in your own arms (or you don't want to), you get a number, walk to your car, and then pull up in the designated "loading lane", and high schools kids ask you where you'd like the groceries. They load them up (no tipping allowed), and you drive off. I was very nice, unless you were in a hurry, and happened to be loading your groceries on a very busy day...waiting in the loading line for 20 minutes.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 AM

259 posts, read 840,978 times
I've lived in a few places as well but my most noticeable change was from Houston, TX to south Florida. I miss:

-Southern Hospitality (it's just so comforting)
-Soul Food Restaurants/BBQ pits (without having to place out a search for them)
-Seeing a sizeable population of Asian, Africans, and Indian people (where you actually see and work with them on a daily basis)
-Brick houses
-Really tall buildings that sway
-The choice of being able to build or paint your house any which way you want without breaking any weird codes
-Having your choice of other major grocery stores (ie Kroger, Randalls, Rice, ect)
-Diverse middle class neighborhoods
-Having a "Midtown"

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
I was very nice, unless you were in a hurry, and happened to be loading your groceries on a very busy day...waiting in the loading line for 20 minutes.
By which time the ice cream would melt down here in the summer.

I can remember a store up in Michigan doing the pull up and load thing when I was little. Mom always had to be vigilant about making sure they had the right cart number because there were a number of occasions where they tried to give her someone else's groceries.

And pull up and put your car in park while they load probably isn't the best thing for the environment either.

As for the loading itself, I'd rather do it on my own because the Publix baggers don't seem to know how to position bags for minimal movement and I don't need my Gatorade bottles or milk taking out my baked goods on the first hard left turn out of the parking lot.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
The thing that will take me the most time to get used to is definitely the sidewalk thing. That is really strange to me. But I'm sure I will adapt.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
By which time the ice cream would melt down here in the summer.

I can remember a store up in Michigan doing the pull up and load thing when I was little. Mom always had to be vigilant about making sure they had the right cart number because there were a number of occasions where they tried to give her someone else's groceries.

And pull up and put your car in park while they load probably isn't the best thing for the environment either.

As for the loading itself, I'd rather do it on my own because the Publix baggers don't seem to know how to position bags for minimal movement and I don't need my Gatorade bottles or milk taking out my baked goods on the first hard left turn out of the parking lot.
I agree on the Publix baggers. All my stuff always rolls all over the car. I have a baby, and buy loads of small glass bottled baby food. They want to put every last one of them in ONE bag, not tie the top, and put in my car. When I get home, I am searching the car for missing food. LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
I've lived in a few places as well but my most noticeable change was from Houston, TX to south Florida. I miss:

-Southern Hospitality (it's just so comforting)
-Soul Food Restaurants/BBQ pits (without having to place out a search for them)
-Seeing a sizeable population of Asian, Africans, and Indian people (where you actually see and work with them on a daily basis)
-Brick houses
-Really tall buildings that sway
-The choice of being able to build or paint your house any which way you want without breaking any weird codes
-Having your choice of other major grocery stores (ie Kroger, Randalls, Rice, ect)
-Diverse middle class neighborhoods
-Having a "Midtown"
I had to comment. There are areas in FL with that southern thing...Jacksonville area and the pan handle is pretty good on that end.
I MISS BRICK HOMES TOO
Diverse middle class neighborhoods...yes, yes and YES
The diverse population that comingled as well. Umm..one of the reasons we are moving our child back north. We want him to experience all that.
I'm not from TX, and aside from the southern thing, all the other things apply to where I came from as well.
FL has some great qualities, but it is a very different place from much of the rest of the US. (not a knock at all..just true)

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:
Diverse middle class neighborhoods...yes, yes and YES
The diverse population that comingled as well. Umm..one of the reasons we are moving our child back north. We want him to experience all that.
FL has some great qualities, but it is a very different place from much of the rest of the US. (not a knock at all..just true)
My neighborhood is more diverse in Florida then the town I came from but I don't feel that my kids have their independence here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida