Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times

Advertisements

I'm not in Florida yet, but planning to go soon and I'm sure the way people give directions will be something for me to get used to. NYers use specific landmarks to give directions, it is what I'm accustom to. I was in Orlando a few months ago and was told by the gas station agent that Disney was "DOWN THE ROAD A PIECE" - WHAT - I was like great, now can I have circumfrance on exactly what down the road a piece is? Just a termI was really unfamiliar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,801 times
One of the first things I had to get used to was higher car insurance rates...much higher here than in Virginia. I really like not having to pay state income and personal property taxes any longer.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm not in Florida yet, but planning to go soon and I'm sure the way people give directions will be something for me to get used to. NYers use specific landmarks to give directions, it is what I'm accustom to. I was in Orlando a few months ago and was told by the gas station agent that Disney was "DOWN THE ROAD A PIECE" - WHAT - I was like great, now can I have circumfrance on exactly what down the road a piece is? Just a termI was really unfamiliar with.
Unless it's on the level of the Batman-like bridge in Jacksonville, it can be kind of hard to find 'hard' landmarks down here because businesses tend to move/open/close a lot, buildings come and go and there always seem to be ongoing road building and 'improvement' projects going on. I've tried to give directions and ended up saying that you need to turn left at X, which used to be Y, which used to be Z, and then the other person was like, 'oh yeah, I remember when Z was there before they moved over to strip mall Q'.

As for food, Publix is generally good at providing many regional foods (sister says that the Ray's frozen bagels aren't that bad compared to the ones she used to get in Queens) but you just can't get decent apple cider south of the Mason-Dixon line. My parents bring us a couple gallons of it when they visit in the fall.

Things you got used to: it's now perfectly normal to see license plates from a dozen different states any time you find yourself in a large parking lot, and it seems kinda weird to go back to a state where everyone's from the same general place.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,932,258 times
I'll bite. What's a jug handle?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I am able to get pork roll here. I make it quite often but miss the hard rolls. They also have a Jersey Mikes Sub and he makes it once in awhile. If your from the Jersey Shore then you must know about schikhaus hot dogs. They have them at the Windmill and Maxx's Hot Dogs, Keansburg Board Walk thats one of the things I crave. I can't get a good hot dog here at all.
There's so many things I've not had I can't remember them all. I spent many a day at Keansburg.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
I'll bite. What's a jug handle?
It's a U turn from the right lane. That way you don't have to try to turn from the center lane.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I took good milk for granted. I took street lights for granted.
Having a sight problem has made me virtually a prisoner here after the sun sets.
Next time I move bet your bottom dollar I'll make sure there are street lights.
What is with the milk? Doesn't Florida sell milk?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Another thing I had to get used to not having were french fries with malt vinegar on them.

I also had to get used to not being able to get fresh fish right off the party boats.
Doesn't Florida have fresh fish right off the boat?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What is with the milk? Doesn't Florida sell milk?

Mrs. P lives in SC. I live in Florida and have no problem with the milk.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM

448 posts, read 1,471,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Thats funny. I have to admit though when someone told me to use a "round about" I had no clue either and got lost.

they are adding a bunch of those "round about" things here in Central Ohio. Confusing, oh yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida