Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 61,753 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Florida. Jobs are not an issue. We are interested in Fort Myers (Cape Coral), Tampa and Ocala. Any input on the differences in these areas, pros, cons, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The children are grown so schools are not an issue. We love the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If jobs and schools aren't an issue, and the outdoor life is your focus I think Ocala would be a great choice for you. Ocala, Florida, & Marion County : Florida Vacation Planning: Ocala Outdoors (http://www.ocalamarion.com/outdoors.asp - broken link)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If jobs and schools aren't an issue, and the outdoor life is your focus I think Ocala would be a great choice for you. Ocala, Florida, & Marion County : Florida Vacation Planning: Ocala Outdoors (http://www.ocalamarion.com/outdoors.asp - broken link)
Great information. Are there campgrounds next to rivers there? We like to kayak.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Question More Info Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by debijr View Post
We are relocating to Florida. Jobs are not an issue. We are interested in Fort Myers (Cape Coral), Tampa and Ocala. Any input on the differences in these areas, pros, cons, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The children are grown so schools are not an issue. We love the outdoors.
You need to provide more info. on what you're already used to as part of your daily lifestyle -- or what your new life will look like. i.e. we like hiking 15 miles a day and saltwater fishing in the winter; in our spare time we volunteer for such causes and go square dancing on the weekends; we hope to sit outside in our backyard year-round and enjoy our garden; I only shop at Macy's; I'm used to gridlock traffic at rush hour times; we frequently dine at a Cuban restaurant; I identify with Southern culture, etc.

Hope you realize you've picked 3 different climate areas (and populations) that each have different outdoor options and lifestyles.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 04-22-2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
You need to provide more info. on what you're already used to as part of your daily lifestyle -- or what your new life will look like. i.e. we like hiking 15 miles a day and saltwater fishing in the winter; in our spare time we volunteer for such causes and go square dancing on the weekends; we hope to sit outside in our backyard year-round and enjoy our garden; I only shop at Macy's; I'm used to gridlock traffic at rush hour times; we frequently dine at a Cuban restaurant; I identify with Southern culture, etc.

Hope you realize you've picked 3 different climate areas (and populations) that each have different outdoor options and lifestyles.
Hmmm... ok, I realized Ocala was different but not that Cape Coral and Tampa were that different. I am from Montana. It's called Big Sky Country for a reason. Definitely no gridlock traffic. We like to kayak and camp. I like to bike ride. We love being outdoors. Being from Montana I don't need a bunch of different stores or restaurants. We don't have much to choose from here. Significant other is from Denver. He enjoys motorcycle riding also.

I hope I've added a bit more insight.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Why are you moving here from Montana? Have you ever spent time in Florida?

Not only is Cape Coral entirely different from Tampa, but it's different from Fort Myers. In fact, the NW section of Cape Coral is very different from the SE section. Why did you pick those areas?

If you love the outdoors and you've been living in Montana, you might find it's too hot & humid to live here during the summer, so I suggest you rent for a while before buying.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
Great information. Are there campgrounds next to rivers there? We like to kayak.
You'd love the Rainbow and Crystal Rivers.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why are you moving here from Montana? Have you ever spent time in Florida?

Not only is Cape Coral entirely different from Tampa, but it's different from Fort Myers. In fact, the NW section of Cape Coral is very different from the SE section. Why did you pick those areas?

If you love the outdoors and you've been living in Montana, you might find it's too hot & humid to live here during the summer, so I suggest you rent for a while before buying.
We are moving because we just don't enjoy the cold weather any longer. My BF lived in Florida before and he prefers the gulf coast. That is the reason we are checking into those areas. If someone has other suggestions, that would be great! I would love for someone to tell me the difference between all the places.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Hmmm... ok, I realized Ocala was different but not that Cape Coral and Tampa were that different. I am from Montana. It's called Big Sky Country for a reason. Definitely no gridlock traffic. We like to kayak and camp. I like to bike ride. We love being outdoors. Being from Montana I don't need a bunch of different stores or restaurants. We don't have much to choose from here. Significant other is from Denver. He enjoys motorcycle riding also.
I hope I've added a bit more insight.
Much better! Unfortunately, you've totally nixed Cape Coral and Tampa out of your equation if you're not used to congested, populated areas and gridlock traffic!

So, your only option will be Ocala, where you will find more rural living areas and wide outdoors with plenty of opportunities for kayaking, camping in the nearby State/National Parks and scenic roadways for motorcylcing (including Bike Weeks in nearby Daytona Beach ). There is also a lot of horse breeders/traders and horseback riding activities in this area.

There are also similar smaller towns you should also check out:
Ft. White
Alachua Springs
Miconopy
Crystal River
Palatka
Bushnell
Seville
Brooksville
Lake City
Wauchula
DeLand
Bartow
Ft Meade
LaBelle
Buckingham

Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Cape Coral certainly doesn't have gridlock. Now that the housing boom is over Cape Coral has returned to an often sleepy area with very friendly people. In some areas the homes are close together but in other areas, especially the northwest section, it is fairly desolate. Cape Coral has the second largest land area in Florida with 114 square miles and more than 400 miles of salt and fresh water canals. It is also has the second lowest crime rate in the state.

Tampa is a large metropolitan city and has all the problems that come with that.

Ocala is considered to be more rural but it is actually a town of more than 55,000 people and it has a fairly high per-capita crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida