Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 47,383 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I am looking to purchase a condo/home in either Naples, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, or Tampa, and am unsure of where to invest, as I am not familiar with the cities. Could someone provide some insight on which is the "nicest" for someone that, while not rich, is used to the metropolitan areas and the "better things in life".

I look forward to hearing from everyone that has some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
What do you mean by "invest"?

If you aren't "rich" but looking for the "better things in life" than you would probably like FTL the best, followed by Tampa. Naples has it, but very expensive, think "Rich".

Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Default This not the time to "invest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What do you mean by "invest"?

If you aren't "rich" but looking for the "better things in life" than you would probably like FTL the best, followed by Tampa. Naples has it, but very expensive, think "Rich".
especially in Naples, the 3rd most overpriced area in the country.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
especially in Naples, the 3rd most overpriced area in the country.
Agree. FL is a place to rent and sit right now, not to "invest" unless you like losing money and putting yourself in a trap. As a place to live though, which would you pick (he seems to be looking for that too)?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I agree with the others. Although prices have fallen drastically in the last few years, Naples is still very expensive. And I'd never recommend to anyone to take a loan on a property that you'd use as an 'investment', which would be my guess as to what you meant by 'not rich'. If the cash isn't in your pocket, don't use real estate as an investment. Way too many people learned that the hard way. And Naples is way expensive, so unless you have a bundle, I'd steer clear.

If you're looking for 'the good things in life' Naples has it. But again, it's not for the common working man to invest in. Ft Myers has some shady areas and some fabulous neighborhoods. It's a pretty spread out town. Can't tell you anything about the other two.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 47,383 times
Thank you for the replies. I should clarify a bit. I am looking for a modestly priced property (say under 200,000) which I would rent, whenever possible, and use for my own vacation use, when not rented. Given this description, where would be best? I think the bundled golf communities in Naples/Bonita/Estero/Fort Myers look good, especially to rent short term, however, Lauderdale and Tampa look like really nice metropolitan communities. Which has the best lifestyle and investment opportunities, if not looking to rent long term, and enjoy myself when there. I know it is subjective, but, the more the read, the more you know.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenayla View Post
Thank you for the replies. I should clarify a bit. I am looking for a modestly priced property (say under 200,000) which I would rent, whenever possible, and use for my own vacation use, when not rented. Given this description, where would be best? I think the bundled golf communities in Naples/Bonita/Estero/Fort Myers look good, especially to rent short term, however, Lauderdale and Tampa look like really nice metropolitan communities. Which has the best lifestyle and investment opportunities, if not looking to rent long term, and enjoy myself when there. I know it is subjective, but, the more the read, the more you know.
Weston, outside of Fort Lauderdale (where I live) has some opportunities for your price range. The Bonaventue area is a known golf resort area with plenty of sub 200,000 condos that have been subleted/rented out. The community has great golf and the city is known for it's light traffic, very low crime (go look it up on CD), lush landscape, and well heeled, yet very diverse population. We are about 30 minutes from Fort Lauderdale, and the metro has a surprising amount of culture (for a beach city anyway, we don't even have a symphony orchestra, but we do have a world class theater venue and museums), great opportunities for boating, almost any type of cuisine, upscale shopping, and of course beautiful beaches. Very good place to vacation, but I STILL wouldn't buy anything for a couple of years. Weston has a couple of timeshares that you could consider for the time being.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 13,734 times
Default Area of Florida

I've lived in Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Ft. Myers. Naples is beautiful but expensive, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale traffic is a nightmare. I like areas of Fort Myers. Last night I looked at a Condo...2/2...in the Whiskey Creek area, Wyldewood Lakes. It is 5 minutes from Barbara B. Mann theater and 15 minutes from beach and close to everything. I think a flipper had bought it and took to long to redo it and the market hit bottom. There is a golf course, tennis and pool it was $179,900. and I am probably going to make a outlandish low offer on it.

I looked at one in the Gateway area as well but didn't like the traffic and it seemed out so far, but so far it has been my second choice.

I've looked at about 15 condo's so far and am looking for a deal as I have seen some real steals out there. I told the realtor to look for short sales or
deals only, you might try doing the same.

Good luck...it's fun though isn't it?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,813 times
Default Fort Myers Condo

after scouting the southeast, I just picked up a new vacation townhouse in Paseo, Fort Myers, for 188K, half off original list price. not on a golfcourse, but amazing facilities and 5 minutes from the airport.

google paseo fort myers

Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,053 times
Well right now is time to buy Florida. Inventory of properties for sale is shrinking considerably and mortgage interest rate is 3.8% for those with exellent credit, so if you are one of them, Stevenayla, I suggest that you should hire a realtor and start hunting for properties suitable for your criteria and possibilities. Prices are stabilizing and increasing slightly. Buyers market is turning into sellers market in many areas of south Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida