Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

I am also 27 years old, I moved here from The Bronx 5 years ago and I LOVE it. I am not the Party type more Family oriented so I find it to be perfect. Yes the salary is much less, but I find that it is worth the pay cut. It's Peaceful, Beautiful and I don't have to watch my back walking down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM

407 posts, read 388,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
I compared Queens vs Ft Lauderdale on this site Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com & got this result:

90,000$ in Queens

Comparable salary in
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$65,516
If you move from New York (Queens), NY to Fort Lauderdale, FL....

Groceries will cost:
12%less

Housing will cost:
38%less

Utilities will cost:
46%less

Transportation will cost:
2%less

Healthcare will cost:
13%less

So you are saying this is untrue?
According to this calculator: Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com
you are looking at a slight drop in disposable income from Queens to Ft. Lauderdale. I love FL, but let's be honest, you move down here for the weather, not the money.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Forgetaboutit!!

Seriously, you're being seduced into something that will make you absolutely miserable. (You're considering moving from NYC to the "Deep South" and basing your decision that people in Palm Coast THINK like where you're from! Duh.)

There's absolutely NOTHING for 20-somethings in Palm Coast (unless you pang for great BINGO games that last only till dusk so you can drive home). It's nice to visit gramps + gramma, but live there will be another story!

Based on your OP, I don't think you have a clue of what the Florida economy is like right now. I would stick to what you think is "suffering" in Queens and your present deadend job to avoid the nasty life experience waiting for you to avoid rent!

But I guess touching the stove is part of growing up.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Forgetaboutit!!

Seriously, you're being seduced into something that will make you absolutely miserable. (You're considering moving from NYC to the "Deep South" and basing your decision that people in Palm Coast THINK like where you're from! Duh.)

There's absolutely NOTHING for 20-somethings in Palm Coast (unless you pang for great BINGO games that last only till dusk so you can drive home). It's nice to visit gramps + gramma, but live there will be another story!

Based on your OP, I don't think you have a clue of what the Florida economy is like right now. I would stick to what you think is "suffering" in Queens and your present deadend job to avoid the nasty life experience waiting for you to avoid rent!

listen to this poster
DONT TO IT.. READ THIS AGAIN

AND READ IT AGAIN AND AGAIN

Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM

227 posts, read 856,367 times
For some of us in Palm Coast/Flagler Beach area there's plenty more than just bingo games. Perhaps for the OP this area may not be for him, Tampa or Ft. Laud may be the best esp for jobs, totally agree on that. Check out the happenings at Florida's Favorite Waterside Bar.

No way to sugar-coat it (we tried and the sugar melted), it has been hot! Summer is upon us in Flagler County. But...it is always a little cooler at the beach, especially if you're sitting on our deck with an ice cold pina colada. It's a fact, ask Bill Nye the Science Guy! Everyone is revving up for July 4th weekend (more about that below) and we are starting the party early at the Golden Lion Cafe beginning with the Phun Coast Parrotheads' Thirsty Thursday tonight!

Live Music This Weekend:
Thursday 5:30-9:30 Kevin Quinn Classic Rock from Asbury Park
Friday 6-10pm Billy Bowers Flip-Flop Tapping Acoustic Rock
Saturday 6-10pm Duplicity Duo Jazz, Blues, & Adult Contemporary
Sunday 1-5pm Zebbhi Niyah Roots Reggae
5:30-9:30 Joe Atti & Friends Classic Rock

4th Of July In Flagler Beach
You've probably heard by now that there will be no fireworks on July 4th. We certainly look forward to the fireworks every year, but we appreciate the need for safety. Fireworks or no fireworks, Flagler Beach & The Golden Lion Cafe will be celebrating Independence Day with a bang! Starting Friday night with the Flagler Beach First Friday event all the way to Monday night at the Lion with Lionheart taking the stage the beach will be loaded with music, food, fun & waves. Don't forget, the parade begins in front of Florida's Favorite Waterside Bar (that's us)! Check out some schedule highlights below, including our music lineup. We look forward to seeing you!

For more information, including lodging options, click visitflagler.org (http://www.visitflagler.org/fourthofjuly2011.html - broken link)

Friday July 1st
First Friday Celebration in Flagler Beach 6pm
Live music from the Halifax Contra Band 6-9
Kids activities from 6:30-7:30
Community Wide Tie Dye Event
Saturday July 2nd
Pango Rhum Beach Party Noon-11pm
Check out the Pango Rum Beach Party hosted by The Golden Lion and Beach 92.7!
DJ Vern will be there with music, bikini volleyball, free prizes, Yuengling beer specials,
bonfire at sunset. It's all happening on the Golden Lion Beach!
Monday July 4th
Fabulous Fourth Festivities at Flagler Beach
10:00am Fourth Of July Parade
11:00am Cornhole Tournament
12:00pm Watermelon Eating Contest
1:00pm Tiny Tiki / Little Kahuna Contest
2:00pm Hot Dog Eating Contest
3:00pm Battle Of The Bands
Fourth Of July Weekend Golden Lion Music Lineup
Thursday June 30 Joe Atti 5:30-9:30 Classic Rock
Friday July 1 Joe & Donny 1-5 Classic Rock Duo
Rattleshake Duo 6-10 Classic Rock & Blues
Saturday July 2 Joe & Donny 1-5 Classic Rock Duo
The Dirty Byrds 6-10 Classic Rock Band
Sunday July 3 High Energy 1-5 Island & Dance Duo
Zebbhi Niyah 6-10 Roots Reggae
Monday July 4 High Energy 1:30-5:30 Island & Dance Duo
Lionheart 6:30-10:30 Good Time Classic Rock

[CENTER]http://beach927.com/images/index_header_01.jpg (broken link)[/CENTER]

Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Forgetaboutit!!

I wouldn't exactly consider Palm Coast the "Deep South", but he's right about everything else...

Old 06-25-2011, 12:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well the OP hasn't come back, but you don't quit a 65K a year and leave a rent controlled apt. to move somewhere with no job lined up.

He isn't going to see that kind of money down here.

And depending on who the family are, unless they're your parents you may overstay your welcome. It sounds great on the phone to go stay with relatives for free, but you better both be clear on what "free" is and for how long.

If he said I was transferring my job at my current salary and depending on what city it was in FL, I would say give it a shot.

Otherwise in this economy I would stay put for now.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgerider View Post
For some of us in Palm Coast/Flagler Beach area there's plenty more than just bingo games.
Monday July 4th
11:00am Cornhole Tournament
What more could possibly be said?

Last edited by daytonadewd; 06-27-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,671 times
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice.

I've decided to stay in NY. Looking for a different job right now, there is much more opportunity to make a better salary here even though things are more expensive. I wouldn't want to limit myself. Actually had a job interview Friday that went really well.

Also, I had to consider that even though rent is cheaper, fixed expenses stay the same (student loans, car pmt, credit card) and I would be spending more gas money to get around. Overall, the trade off really isn't worth it.

Although I do admit that the thought of packing up everything sounds appealing, its just the frustration that comes out of NY sometimes.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck84nyc View Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice.

I've decided to stay in NY. Looking for a different job right now, there is much more opportunity to make a better salary here even though things are more expensive. I wouldn't want to limit myself. Actually had a job interview Friday that went really well.

Also, I had to consider that even though rent is cheaper, fixed expenses stay the same (student loans, car pmt, credit card) and I would be spending more gas money to get around. Overall, the trade off really isn't worth it.

Although I do admit that the thought of packing up everything sounds appealing, its just the frustration that comes out of NY sometimes.
At least come down for a vacation next winter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida