Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I don't know, maybe walk down and catch a Lightning game, take in a show at the Performing Arts Center, take the streetcar to Channelside or Ybor City, or watch a movie at the palatial Tampa Theatre. All of these things are in close proximity to the proposed SunRail station in Downtown Tampa.
I love Tampa, but I'd much rather drive and do those things, as I do now. and I would not take HSR to then take an express bus to st. pete to catch A Rays game!

Lightning or Bucs? I'm In. But again for anything else outside of a decent bus ride in Tampa, no. not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oh oh raises hand - background in Urban Policy.

Kevin -
You're not looking at the entire costs associated with the high speed rail vs driving. How much is your monthly car bill? Insurance? Mileage added? Wear and tear on tires and brakes from the drive? Risk of a break down or worse an accident? How about if someone else is in an accident which causes a huge backup on I-4?

Blacksmith -
You don't seem to be looking at it from the whole picture. There's not enough build-up and density yet in between Orlando and Tampa to warrant it at this point in time. There also isn't enough regular commuters between the two. Tampa stay in Tampa and Orlando stay in Orlando predominately. So you'd have large stretches and numerous stops that would have minimal business for a foreseeable amount of time. Likewise the majority of traffic is in Downtown Tampa and Downtown Orlando so it wouldn't be relieving traffic significantly in that entire space between.

The reality is I wish Rick Scott would've approved it anyways because who knows when we might get those funds again. But financially he did make the right decision. You have to start local and build out, not the other way. SunRail ridership is only one economic view on it. It's also going to greatly relieve congestion on I-4 which is the primary lifeline for Central Florida. Then there's economic development around the stations which will occur much quicker for SunRail than it would have for HSR because of the existing density.

HSR is relying on tourism. Even on this thread what are people saying they would use it for? As an alternative to driving if they want to go catch an event of some kind. What would people use the SunRail for? Getting to work. With HSR you still have to own a car, with SunRail you don't.

Great point.

Im all for HSR and gosh I wish it was coming but again I just ask people what they would have taken the rail for outside of downtown Tampa. In Orange County alone the rail was making three stops connecting with other transportation. Taxis/Charters/Lynx/Sun Rail/Airport/OIA Connector/Rental Car

As in Tampa it was just HART/Taxi/Streetcar/and Water Transit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida