Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
ONLY by the lakes..... Northeast and upper midwest though cold stay relatively sunny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
BTW, Florida is a great place to live.

I moved from Philadelphia, PA back in 2002 to south florida and haven't looked back. I dont miss Philly at all. PA has beautiful country side, but during the winter its all barren....brown and grey.

and Philadelphia is an utter crap-hole (pardon my french) It truly is a dirty, gritty, grimey, ugly city. I'm sorry if I offended anyone from Philly, but I couldn't fathom moving back up there ever again.
Phila isn't so bad, I grew up there but have since moved to NJ & then DE. Say what you will but it's got the best resturants of all ethnic backgrounds, whatever your fansy you'll find it there, including it's own China town where you'll find some of the best Asian resturants at reasonable prices. Great theaters, museums, comedy clubs, you name it. I guess being a native of the north we don't pay attention to blue sky's & barren trees during winter months, afterall it's expected, we focus our attention on coming attractions & entertainment & we know how to dress for the weather so it's not a problem.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot of people are whining "its too hot". I could not imagine anyone moving to FL expecting it to be cooler or less humid than where they are now. If they do, it's no wonder they can't make a living here because
they can't think in the first place.

Show a link to a post that said "Ive never seen a roach since I've been here". That does not exist. I was just in my back yard and lo and behold
I saw a spider! It had a web and everything. Wow jeeze. If I kicked up some mulch I'd see a whole bunch more bugs. I even saw ants running
back and forth along the rail of the fence while I pulled some weeds there
tonight.

We're not seeing people who say "its going to be a hot and steamy night"
but we have people who complain about "relentless heat and humidity".
Gee, the most southern part of the U.S. and it's not going to be hot
and humid?

It appears there are some very unrealistic expectations in some people.

The Southern of the Northern Hemisphere is hot. Let everybody know.
Well ya know I think the problem is yes, they expect it to be hot & humid in Fl, but to what degree & for what duration? I think they just don't take into account that the heat will be relentless & extremely oppressive. When heat/humidity is overwhelming I think that can discourage the most diehards of FL lovers. Afterall, our bodies just weren't built to handle a overload of extremities & it takes it's toll on most people & can be life threatening depending on your overall state of health. While some folks who've migrated there from the north are determined to adjust since moving back may not be a fianancial option for them, others are just determined the heat won't beat them, they can withstand anything (the macho man mentality). The point is most people find it almost impossible to adjust to extremities whether it's too hot or too cold. Ya gotta admit it's a hell of a adjustment.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
BTW, Florida is a great place to live.

I moved from Philadelphia, PA back in 2002 to south florida and haven't looked back. I dont miss Philly at all. PA has beautiful country side, but during the winter its all barren....brown and grey.

and Philadelphia is an utter crap-hole (pardon my french) It truly is a dirty, gritty, grimey, ugly city. I'm sorry if I offended anyone from Philly, but I couldn't fathom moving back up there ever again.

Ditto that. My seven years living there was hellish and I too think that Philadelphia is ugly/gross and the people not much better, as evidenced by many of the C-D forum users from Philly. The weather is no bargain either as it's either as hot or hotter right now than where I currently live in Central Florida. Why anyone would actually go out of there way to move there is beyond me.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
If a northern person is thinking of moving south, anywhere in the south U.S., they have to ask themselves
a question: Can I deal with 90+ degree temperatures and high humidity from March until October. If they cannot come to a conclusion, they need to rethink that move.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
If the heat/humdity was so intolerable, there wouldn't be so many people living
here in the first place. I think the people who can't stand the heat are in the
minority overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Well ya know I think the problem is yes, they expect it to be hot & humid in Fl, but to what degree & for what duration? I think they just don't take into account that the heat will be relentless & extremely oppressive. When heat/humidity is overwhelming I think that can discourage the most diehards of FL lovers. Afterall, our bodies just weren't built to handle a overload of extremities & it takes it's toll on most people & can be life threatening depending on your overall state of health. While some folks who've migrated there from the north are determined to adjust since moving back may not be a fianancial option for them, others are just determined the heat won't beat them, they can withstand anything (the macho man mentality). The point is most people find it almost impossible to adjust to extremities whether it's too hot or too cold. Ya gotta admit it's a hell of a adjustment.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Well, I can scan and provide a copy of my car insurance bill.

I pay less than $90 per month for two vehicles.
I don't know to which post/person you're referring. I do agree that many people in FL have high insurance rates because of bad credit and DUIs. Although I am not a P&C agent, I once had a desk in one of those "we insure anyone with a pulse" agencies. I once wrote about that experience.

I don't think the insurance rates are very high here, but I have nothing to compare them to, since I've lived in FL since 1994. So to say "they were only XX back in NH...." would be silly. I have noticed an increase over the years and assumed it was because of the number of accidents in the area. I did mention in another post that a lot depends on the driver, the coverage and, of course, the car. I mean, it costs a heck of a lot more to insure a new Mercedes than a Corolla.

Saying you have 2 cars insured really means little. I could say I have a car insured for less than $50 a month or one for over $100. It might cost over $25,000 a year to insure a Ferrari. So I can only refer to my personal coverage. My credit is excellent, and I also have every possible discount for being a safe driver from having anti-theft. Maybe it's my county or my age, but I just got a bill for $99, increased from $94. I mentioned that somewhere, if not on this thread, on a similar one. I also wrote that I need to shop around if what others are posting is true.

Last statement received:

July 31 to Jan 31 2012 - $590.69 (6 months)

Driven over 7,500 miles annually
Principal driver is age 50-74, no unmarried drivers under 25

Liability, Bodily Injury $100,000/300,000
Property Damage $100,000
No fault
Medical Payments
$250 Deductible Collision
$100 Deductible Comprehensive
Uninsured Motor Vehicle Bodily Injury $100,000/$300,000
Death Indemnity

Discounts: Antilock brakes, Antitheft, Vehicle Safety, Accident Free.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

87 posts, read 136,608 times
Quote:
If the heat/humdity was so intolerable, there wouldn't be so many people living
here in the first place. I think the people who can't stand the heat are in the
minority overall

For some, heat alone is not an issue, it's the heat and humidity combined that's an issue.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoWPB View Post
For some, heat alone is not an issue, it's the heat and humidity combined that's an issue.
That is true, plus it's the LENGTH of the heat, and humidity. It isn't the same all over Florida either. I lived in Gainesville for a time. Humidity? NOTHING like it is on the southern Gulf.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I can't begin to add up the money I spent to vacation on a nice beach when I lived up north. New England has beautiful beaches, but the water was usually very cold. After I was no longer able to ski, I traded my ski trips to Vermont with weeks in warm, sunny places and couldn't wait to move permanently to Florida. When I finally arrived, I traveled all over the state from the panhandle to Key West. Then I settled on Sanibel Island, a very special place, for a couple of years and Bonita Springs, less than a mile to the beach, for over 13.

So nobody can say I don't like the beach. I used to get home from work and go to Barefoot Beach every night to watch the sunset. Even if it was cloudy and rainy, I'd take a walk and sometimes was treated with a nice rainbow. I guess I got depressed after a while because month after month, there was another warning about bacteria in the water or red tide. Red tide is "natural" but the high number of algae blooms we've had aren't so natural, as fertilizer and pesticides continue to pollute our once crystal blue waters.

Bacteria warnings are becoming all too common. Most of them are from "runoff" and human waste has been found on public beaches. Earlier this year Venice Beach, Turtle Beach (Sarasota) and others were closed due to high levels of bacteria in the water. On the east coast, several beaches were closed due to fecal matter in the water. Just this month, advisories were posted along Lee County beaches in Bonita and Fort Myers Beach and at the Port Charlotte Beach Complex in Charlotte County. Warnings have been posted all the way up the coast, but nobody is talking about it here. Sunset Beach in Tarpon Springs was closed by health officials last week. I can't imagine sitting under the hot Florida sun in the summer and not going into the water to cool off.

Just at a time when we need more testing, new budget cuts are threatening our beaches, our very livelihood. Many of us truly care about Florida and what has happened to our little piece of Paradise. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.
I don't often agree with many of your posts and I am not sure why..LOL..but, I wholeheartedly agree with this one. It is sad to me what we are doing to our oceans, lands and the animals. Am I a tree hugger ? You betcha! I have stayed in little vacations shacks in Bonita Springs for a week or two, with my kids, back in the 60's and we ate fish every day, took naps, walked the beach, played board games and it was wonderful....Florida is not the same in so many ways but that can be said for just about anywhere.....

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
If the transplants are complaining over something like the temperature and they leave for a reason like that, then they're most likely a negative person in general no matter where they are. But less negative people here is an awesome thing! For some reason, I have a visual image of Emily Gilmore from Gilmore Girls complaining about the heat here and demanding to leave. Just like when she and Rory went to stay at a hotel in Europe, the second they walked into their room, Rory started to say "ooh, it's nice". But Emily interrupted her by saying, "its hot" and started complaining about everything in the hotel room from that point on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida