Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You're right about now ... Florida will still attract a fair share of retirees. But if the majority of immigrants to Florida are undesirables or folks with their pockets empty and hands out, the retirees will look to alternate destinations in the future. I have some Mexican friends who tell me that Mexico used to be a wonderful place to live 20-30 years ago. Can't say that now ... I hope for those who love Florida that's not the case here.
I see your point and you could be correct. However, I lived in southwest Florida and even Orlando for awhile and in both places there are ne'er-do-well immigrants and there are those that are an asset to the community and the retirees and they get along very well. Over time the good immigrants assimilate to the area. In Miami the Hispanic culture has changed the face of the area, some say. I say that Miami has been Spanish since 1566, so who is the intruders?

But you know what I mean. They use to call my people, the Irish, the Polish, the German the undesirables. And the ones doing the disparaging were my British ancestors. That seemed to all work out.

But we are running out of room and resources. That is not just a Florida thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
In other forums I see posts where people say they are moving to Florida because it's always been their dream or something similar. The scary thing is many are asking how much gas money they will need to get there from where they are, or how much they will need up front to rent a place to live. I see this almost every day.

If you have to worry about having enough money to get to FL or how much you need to get the keys to a place, what are their chances of not having to apply for public assistance shortly after they get there in this economy? Worse yet, they get answers like "rent is cheaper here". If you can't get a job and have no money, it doesn't matter how cheap the rent is, they won't be able to pay it.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
The fun continues in Florida. Students were robbed at gunpoint at Rollins College over the weekend. Right in the heart of Winter Park, and close to Park Avenue.

Sunday afternoon in Winter Park - pistol whipped and staring down the barrel of a gun.

Anyone who is moving to FL from up north needs to figure out what "crime creep" means and prepare accordingly. In FL, anything can happen, anywhere. (heck, we had two home invasions at 1PM in my little corner of the world last fall. A few homes down and that would have been me sitting here with the kids when the gang member from Orlando came crashing through the front door).

Stuff like THIS is why FL is going down the tubes.

Rollins College robbery: 2 students robbed at gunpoint on Rollins College campus in Winter Park - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I see your point and you could be correct. However, I lived in southwest Florida and even Orlando for awhile and in both places there are ne'er-do-well immigrants and there are those that are an asset to the community and the retirees and they get along very well. Over time the good immigrants assimilate to the area. In Miami the Hispanic culture has changed the face of the area, some say. I say that Miami has been Spanish since 1566, so who is the intruders?

But you know what I mean. They use to call my people, the Irish, the Polish, the German the undesirables. And the ones doing the disparaging were my British ancestors. That seemed to all work out.

But we are running out of room and resources. That is not just a Florida thing.
It worked out because of all them actually WORKED ... unlike today, where the typical immigrant from Central & South America shows up with their pockets empty and hands out.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
The fun continues in Florida. Students were robbed at gunpoint at Rollins College over the weekend. Right in the heart of Winter Park, and close to Park Avenue.

Sunday afternoon in Winter Park - pistol whipped and staring down the barrel of a gun.

Anyone who is moving to FL from up north needs to figure out what "crime creep" means and prepare accordingly. In FL, anything can happen, anywhere. (heck, we had two home invasions at 1PM in my little corner of the world last fall. A few homes down and that would have been me sitting here with the kids when the gang member from Orlando came crashing through the front door).

Stuff like THIS is why FL is going down the tubes.

Rollins College robbery: 2 students robbed at gunpoint on Rollins College campus in Winter Park - OrlandoSentinel.com

Yes. Crime only happens in Florida.

The Daily Bruin :: Nine students robbed at gunpoint inside Midvale apartment Sunday

GA Tech student robbed at gunpoint of backpack - Atlanta Crime | Examiner.com

Hamline Student Robbed at Gunpoint on Campus | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2291103.shtml - broken link)

UIC Student Robbed At Gunpoint

3 Johnson & Wales students robbed at gunpoint in uptown Charlott - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

UNC students robbed at gunpoint inside dorm | abc11.com

Pair of UH students report separate attacks - Houston Chronicle

Harvard student robbed at gunpoint | Cantabrigia

Really, it's sad, but I could do this all day.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
It worked out because of all them actually WORKED ... unlike today, where the typical immigrant from Central & South America shows up with their pockets empty and hands out.
That's what they said about my ancestors, too. But just like then, the immigrants are on the roofs fixing them, in every restaurant kitchen, in every field picking...

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM

81 posts, read 234,932 times
Florida constantly ranks in the top 10 (sometimes top 5) of worse crime states annually, can get some of the most severe weather nature has to offer, homeowners insurance is becoming astronomically high, low wages and ever increasing cost of living, could go on and on. Still wondering why Florida is not a best place to live?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Well, if you've ever been over by Rollins College/ Park Ave in Winter Park, on a SUNDAY at 2PM, the last thing you expect to happen is to be sitting IN your car and have gunmen drive up, stick a gun in your face, rob you, and smash you in the face with the gun.

This was a violent, brazen, daytime robbery. Criminals are getting desperate and they don't care when, where, or who.

On the positive side, we have good guns laws in FL to protect ourselves.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
Florida constantly ranks in the top 10 (sometimes top 5) of worse crime states annually, can get some of the most severe weather nature has to offer, homeowners insurance is becoming astronomically high, low wages and ever increasing cost of living, could go on and on. Still wondering why Florida is not a best place to live?
But wait ... there are beaches everywhere !

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post

Yeah, maybe we should all move to North Dakota, where there's less people than there are in most cities.

Sometimes, if you're going to live where there are actually PEOPLE, AMENITIES, and ENTERTAINMENT, you're going to have to put up with a bit more crime. Can't all live in the sticks, ya know.

And a Hurricane is one of the easiest natural disasters to avoid. It's not like they pop up out of nowhere like a Tornado (Mid-West, Texas), an Earthquake (California), or happen every year, like clockwork, usually more than once per year (blizzards).

BTW: "Low wages" are relative to profession and job type. Not all of us suffer from the affliction. Oh, and my cost of living is cheaper now than it was just three years ago. Funny how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida