Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times

Advertisements

As a former NYC resident who left over 20 years ago, I certainly understand where you are coming from. It's a totally different way of life between there and here. Some folks just don't know how good they've got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinaround1 View Post
I just moved to Tampa from NYC. I must say that I love it . I lived in Jacksonville a few years back and had a blast . Every place has it's ups and downs.
There are also things that I enjoy here that I get a feeling locals take for granted. Pools! Apartments with two bathrooms! Schools that look like schools and not jails, The beaches! Pardon any grammatical errors but for the rent I pay here (which i just found out from my neighbors is on the high side) I am getting a thousand percent more bang for the buck.
I love NYC, I absolutely do. But I can really appreciate florida, It has am American feel that I miss when I am in NYC. I love the fact that it seems like most people in Tampa are from somewhere else. Natives complain about things like sprawl and traffic. This traffic is nothing, and the view of the sky is amazing. Thats something you miss when all of the buildings are tall. It blocks the sky. I remember spending my first week here just taking pictures of the sky.

You gotta love Florida, its like paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,969 times
Lets see a max of about $250 a week for unemployment, Scott laying off hundreds of social workers who need it the most, (who also help with life saving prescription assistance patients), and Floriduh continuing to lose construction jobs. Just some of the reasons third world FL is bad. Not too mention the tourism crutch and low paying jobs. Yep, Floriduh is PARADISE!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Max UE is 275 per week.

Yep. Fantastic place to live so long as you don't live a 3rd world life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Lets see a max of about $250 a week for unemployment, Scott laying off hundreds of social workers who need it the most, (who also help with life saving prescription assistance patients), and Floriduh continuing to lose construction jobs. Just some of the reasons third world FL is bad. Not too mention the tourism crutch and low paying jobs. Yep, Floriduh is PARADISE!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Max UE is 275 per week.

Some people are only qualified for 3rd world wages, yet they want to make $20/hour to answer phones.

Blame FloriDUH though, right?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Forgot to mention its nearly impossible to get Medicaid, insurance companies and power companies demanding rate increases even though salaries are going down, God floriduh is a joke. And a very high percentage of the retirees are on a fixed income.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Forgot to mention its nearly impossible to get Medicaid, insurance companies and power companies demanding rate increases even though salaries are going down, God floriduh is a joke.
So essentially you're mad that you're not getting enough unemployment and government assistance?

Quite frankly, we can do without. Please find your way back to Texas ASAP. Land of more minimum wage jobs (9.5% of jobs in the state) than anywhere else in the country!

Shame there's no equivalent of "TexasDUH" for you to run into the ground and overuse, however.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM

I'm not mad, those are the FACTS. I actually do quite well but not oblivious to what's really going on in the swamp. Keep cheerleading more. Floriduh needs all the boosters it can get.

You must enjoy overpaying for your cookie cutter home that looks like it was built in 3 days. Oh wait, did I distract you from another Casey Anthony sighting? Sorry.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
So why don't you go back to Texas? The land of.....

Wait for it...

Low paying jobs!

The Minimum Wage Trap in Texas - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So essentially you're mad that you're not getting enough unemployment and government assistance?

Quite frankly, we can do without. Please find your way back to Texas ASAP. Land of more minimum wage jobs (9.5% of jobs in the state) than anywhere else in the country!

Shame there's no equivalent of "TexasDUH" for you to run into the ground and overuse, however.
Yeah, but atleast we have those jobs to be had. You can't even find a minimum wage job in Florida. Not to mention that a minimum wage salary goes A LOT further in TX than it does in FL..

You also fail to mention how TX pays more for professional jobs than FL..

Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,326,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Max UE is 275 per week.

Unemployment does exist so you can get rich or maintain your bloated standard of living. Approximately 1k per month should be enough to "get by"... especially considering you can get other **** like food stamps, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida