Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM

70 posts, read 243,615 times

Advertisements

TO:Tarastomsgirl

you are so right...i moved down here(south florida) over a year ago...it really sucks.... and i really regret it...i'm kind of scared to move back because i think i would be a failure......anyway the economy sucks,,,illegal aliens suck,,,,living conditions suck,,, i'm really struggling down here financially....it's real bad....i honestly have to say...if you are going to move down here...you better have some money or work in hospitality industry or construction...

Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
Florida has it problems like any other state, if someone can eat sleep and have fun in Florida than what is the problem I have live in New Jersey 20 years, and I look forward to move in January to the Tampa area, If I can eat sleep pay my mortgage and survive so damn what is so bad about it, come to NJ where taxes polluted air, crazy house prices are driving a lot of people out, please people if any of you in here that live in Florida and survive why a lot of people here like to complaint about Florida why.

I love my state BUT if you hear me complain it's because its NOT the same state anymore. The prices are climbing at such a fast rate you just can't get ahead, pay is very low and we are becoming inundated with people that do not seem to care about the south or Florida and are hell bent on changing it into the state they just left. Our homeowners insurance and property taxes are crazy and being a "native" I am a minority in my own state. Those are some of the things that drive me bananas!

I wouldn't mind moving to see if there is a better life to be had in some other state but I know every state has its problems and all in all this is my home!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like people who don't live in Florida or who've lived here for less than 5 years talk about how great FL is and assume the rest of us are crazy. Meanwhile, those of us who have lived here for a long time talk about what we dislike and can't understand why anyone wants to move here?
I wonder if it is because the long time residents remember how nice FL used to be compared to now or if the novelty of FL wears off after the first few years.
I think the novelty wears off and also people tend to forget why the came to begin with...i'm sure there are alot of other reasons.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 44,442 times
The good thing about living here in Tampa other than the weather is the price of homes compared to where I relocated from which is Long Island NY. About a year ago I read in Forbes that the average median price of a house in Nassau County NY is $469k vs. $239k in Tampa/St.Pete which is so true depending on location of course

Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 8,014 times
Default Crowded?

Logic tells me that there is no more land being made but the population all over is increasing greatly. I have friends in midwest states who bought houses that were pretty much surrounded by farms but are now subdivisions and major roads. This happens everywhere, not just in Florida. Since my family was middle class we didn't even have a window air conditioner until I was 12 and I only had one until I was 30. My first 3 cars didn't have a/c and the buses that we rode to go swimming to cool off didn't have a/c but we did open the windows. All my career I worked outside in long sleeve shirts and long pants because you had to. I'm not just talking about me here but millions of others as well. If urban sprawl or too much heat starts stressing me out I won't be on my computer writing about it I'll move to a remote and cool state. I wouldn't stay anywhere longer than I had to if it upset me to no end. And that's even if I had too take a loss. My health is way more important. Then I'd write happy messages from where I moved to not sad ones from where I was. I guess that I'm just not the woe is me type.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
Florida has it problems like any other state, if someone can eat sleep and have fun in Florida than what is the problem I have live in New Jersey 20 years, and I look forward to move in January to the Tampa area, If I can eat sleep pay my mortgage and survive so damn what is so bad about it, come to NJ where taxes polluted air, crazy house prices are driving a lot of people out, please people if any of you in here that live in Florida and survive why a lot of people here like to complaint about Florida why.
I have lived in Florida all of my life, I was born and raised in Jacksonville and I have lived there most of my life. I have moved around in Florida some, I have lived in north east FL, central FL, north east central FL, south west FL and south east FL, I always end up back in Jacksonville, but I do like other areas of Florida as well. Yes Florida has it's negatives, but so does every other state. In my opinion, the positives in Florida way out weigh the negatives! It drives me crazy to hear people whine and complain about Florida! I understand that some people really don't have too much of a choice where they live, do to jobs, family situations, etc, but for the people that do have a choice, why move hear and b**ch and complain about every little freaking thing?! Get out of Florida if it's so horrible, damn! Again, every single state, city, etc, has it's positives and negatives, no place is perfect. Florida is a beautiful state and a wonderful place to live, in my opinion. It almost seems like people just need something to complain about sometimes!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I have lived in Florida all of my life, I was born and raised in Jacksonville and I have lived there most of my life. I have moved around in Florida some, I have lived in north east FL, central FL, north east central FL, south west FL and south east FL, I always end up back in Jacksonville, but I do like other areas of Florida as well. Yes Florida has it's negatives, but so does every other state. In my opinion, the positives in Florida way out weigh the negatives! It drives me crazy to hear people whine and complain about Florida! I understand that some people really don't have too much of a choice where they live, do to jobs, family situations, etc, but for the people that do have a choice, why move hear and b**ch and complain about every little freaking thing?! Get out of Florida if it's so horrible, damn! Again, every single state, city, etc, has it's positives and negatives, no place is perfect. Florida is a beautiful state and a wonderful place to live, in my opinion. It almost seems like people just need something to complain about sometimes!

Agree! Many dont have anything else to do, besides those who complain all the time about money in Florida, well, then why are they typing on a 1500.00 laptop and pay 75.00 a month for high speed to just sit there a whine about everything? If money is that tight, wouldnt high speed be the first thing you would not have?
Besides, many negative posters here almost never post a single thing positive, that tells me they either cannot be trusted with the information or they live inside a shell and dont go out to see what they have in their own backyard. There is no way in the world someone couldnt find a single thing positive about Florida, but they wont post anything like that.
Now for those who post what they feel are negatives and then post a few positives once in a while tells me they are not so dang miserable they cannot see something positive.

I have posted this a ton of times, I can live in Florida cheaper then I can live in Ohio, taking the same house, same income, same everything, I can sit my house down in the majority of places in Florida and live cheaper overall.
For those who are struggling, people are struggling everywhere not just in Florida, I spoke with someone today who lives in Mississippi and he told in our conversation that Mississippi is far worse then Florida will ever be, no jobs, NOL people moving in and causing havic and people living in more poverty then he has ever seen any state and he is a traveling man like I am.

We all have choices in most cases, if you dont like Florida is doesnt mean it is better elsewhere, you might find it to be worse in most cases.

I cannot figure out the people who blame the state for their income amount, why are these people blaming the state when most Florida resident can go to college or a tech school and learn a trade and Florida has one of the best programs in the country for this. Your income will not increase by moving to another state by much if any at all, unless you are lucky and find something that no one else has.
I travel for business all the time and many non salary employees of the places I visit are making more money in other places then here in Ohio for doing similar work.

Why hate Florida? its the person who makes themselves something, its not Floridas fault you are in the position you are and hate the state so much.
With alittle hard work and effort you are in the state with far more opportunities then any other state I travel to.

Again, an Orlando business I call on cannot even find a third shift janitor for 12.00 per hour with free benefits, easy work, uniforms etc because no one wants to work midnight shift and every other weekend.

Amazing....................... It's not Floridas fault, it the persons fault for not doing something about it.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Comparing Florida and Mississippi is like comparing a giant douche and a turd sandwich. Yes things stink everywhere but Florida seems to be bearing a disporportionate burden of the suckage in the US. It is like the apotheosis of a half decade or more of laissez-faire Republican rule, "see-no-evil", "wash-your-hands-of-it", etc. It's suburban sprawl run amock mixed with a heap of whoring for the rich and wealthy.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 AM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default What do you get for your money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Enthusiast View Post
The good thing about living here in Tampa other than the weather is the price of homes compared to where I relocated from which is Long Island NY. About a year ago I read in Forbes that the average median price of a house in Nassau County NY is $469k vs. $239k in Tampa/St.Pete which is so true depending on location of course
Here in Naples that $239K is going to get your a TINY 2 bedroom condo (if you are lucky) as opposed to a big 3 bedroom HOUSE with a half acre of property on LI, at least in Suffolk County. I know because that is what we sold our house ($475,000) in Smithtown for. As my husband said, a friend of his here in Naples $500,000 house would have fit inside the house we had on LI.

At one point Naples had the most overpriced real estate in the COUNTRY. It has now gone down to #3 in the country. Nassau/Suffolk never even made the list for overpriced real estate. The majority in the top ten around the country were in California and Florida.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
For the most part, this is a really depressing thread. I agree with Floridabound...there must be some positives in the state. I relocated and love Florida. For me I have mostly positives. Is it rose-colored glasses? I think not since I did my research before I moved and knew about the heat and the costs of living here. Still, when everything was weighed, Florida still came out on top. Since I moved, I have not had one regret. I haven't encountered most of the negatives posted here. I am sure I will find things that I don't like...but I haven't died yet so I know this isn't heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida