Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 148,441 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 Expedition and I got side swiped by a guy not stopping at a intersection. The damage was 8800.00 and when I went to pick up my suv I was told the insurance co. decided not to pay it because it should have been totaled. I reminded them I was 1 mile from the most powerful attorney in Florida and they did pay it. My insurance is 101.00 a month and just the month before the accident I was thinking about dropping my full coverage and changed my mind. So glad I did. What was a major ripoff was the hospital charge for a catscan on my neck. I have osteoporosis so I wanted a scan to be sure I was okay. I cleaned for a woman who had a broken neck for 3 day's after a accident and she didn't even know it. Anyway the hospital sent me a bill for almost 12,000.00 for that exray. My insurance co paid for it but that was crazy. My daughter had a catscan on her nose and it was only 300.00. My son in law had one on his back and it was under 2,000.00 but because I had car insurance mine was 12,000.00. That is why our insurance rates are so high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 AM

199 posts, read 528,480 times
I was at State Farm Insurance office two weeks ago and a person came in and said his homeowners insurance went up 100% for 2012. The agent said yes everyone went up the same amount, sorry I can't do anything about it. Yikes

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
I was at State Farm Insurance office two weeks ago and a person came in and said his homeowners insurance went up 100% for 2012. The agent said yes everyone went up the same amount, sorry I can't do anything about it. Yikes
Ridiculous. Same happened to me and now my new insurance wants another increase. Wish I could walk into my job and demand a double rate of pay! Insurance companies can go to hell.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 81,497 times
We are all between and rock and a hard place..... I mean, what else can you do? A few threads back I explained that I had purchased a home (Suwannee County) with tax value of 75K and the least anyone would insure it was $215K.

Well, I got the insurance explaining to the agent this was a second residence and I was having some work done before a family member was moving in (3 weeks of work -- workers are SLOW).

Last month my policy was canceled as "no one was living in the house". My agent finally admitted she remembered our conversation but there was nothing she could do (really good customer service). Had to have water and FP&L bills brought in to prove I had taken occupancy. Meanwhile, my house was uninsured for a week. Lots to be desired with the customer service!!!!

I called another agency and explained what happened with reasons for finding other insurance was 100% due to lack of customer service. This new person suggested (as I paid cash for the house) was get a rental policy if I could go without contents covered (appliances are covered). I saved about $500 doing this.

I like my new people ---- Safe Harbor Insurance if anyone is interested.

Matchell

Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I thought I had heard that Citizens is going to increase the replacement cost of all of their policy holders by a significant amount. This will increase rates significantly. I also thought I heard you could hire a company that is independent and can write you a estimated replacement cost which is almost always lower than Citizens and Citizens would then be required to allow you to insure your home for the new lower amount.

If anybody knows more about this, please post it.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchell View Post
We are all between and rock and a hard place..... I mean, what else can you do? A few threads back I explained that I had purchased a home (Suwannee County) with tax value of 75K and the least anyone would insure it was $215K.

Well, I got the insurance explaining to the agent this was a second residence and I was having some work done before a family member was moving in (3 weeks of work -- workers are SLOW).

Last month my policy was canceled as "no one was living in the house". My agent finally admitted she remembered our conversation but there was nothing she could do (really good customer service). Had to have water and FP&L bills brought in to prove I had taken occupancy. Meanwhile, my house was uninsured for a week. Lots to be desired with the customer service!!!!

I called another agency and explained what happened with reasons for finding other insurance was 100% due to lack of customer service. This new person suggested (as I paid cash for the house) was get a rental policy if I could go without contents covered (appliances are covered). I saved about $500 doing this.

I like my new people ---- Safe Harbor Insurance if anyone is interested.

Matchell

HUH? You bought a renters policy on a house you own? Renters policies do not cover the structure-they cover the contents and liability for injuries and maybe if you are the cause of the damage like resposible for a fire starting etc. Your house structure is not covered under renters. I think you got some bad advice. If the place burns down, you get nothing to rebuild with is what I understood when I rented. Homeowner insurance that the owner had covered the structure.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM

31 posts, read 81,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
HUH? You bought a renters policy on a house you own? Renters policies do not cover the structure-they cover the contents and liability for injuries and maybe if you are the cause of the damage like resposible for a fire starting etc. Your house structure is not covered under renters. I think you got some bad advice. If the place burns down, you get nothing to rebuild with is what I understood when I rented. Homeowner insurance that the owner had covered the structure.
I understand the confusion.... it is a Fire Dwelling for me as the owner of the property. My personal policy offers dwelling liability of $210K plus structures on the property to $21K (I had a shed). Plus there is up to $21K for my income to cover the rent I would not be receiving while structure is being replaced. This is what I am paying $1,151.85 annually for. BTW, although it only states Fire in the title, it covers hurricane and wind damage.

My renters are required to purchase their own personal renter's insurance to cover their belongings.

Hope this clears it up.

Matchell

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

37 posts, read 75,981 times
If you have State Farm and just got hammered with an increase (my mother just did).. while doing at bit of research I will share 2 great tidbits on information. First.. the state of Florida has a nice website that compares prices by county using 2 standard models.. you will immediately notice that the prices increase dramatically when traveling from north to south in the state. Consumer HomeOwners' Insurance Comparison Electronic System (CHOICES)

you will also notice that different companies charge different prices depending on the county. You really need to shop homeowners insurance in Florida and this is the best place to start.

The other issue is wind mitigation. If you have a dwelling that is "wind certified", your homeowners insurance will be drastically reduced. Most properties built after 2001 qualify for some if not all of the standards. If your house was built before then you need to get a certificate/inspection. My parents used : WindCertification but I am sure there are other companies out there that perform this service. Once you have a inspection and you have a positive outcome, send the inspection results to your insurance company. Some will grant you the discount and some will send out their own inspectors. DO NOT LET AN INSURANCE COMPANY TELL YOU THEIR INSPECTORS ARE BETTER THAN ANY OTHER INSPECTION COMPANIES. Their inspectors job is to fins any fault whether it exists or not just to keep your rates high (State Farm did this to my parents). Find a company that will accept your report, or a company that has sent out inspectors that agree with your positive results and you can save possibly 50% of your bill. Good Luck !!!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM

68 posts, read 174,611 times
Question USAA Homeowner's Coverage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Gov Rick Scott tried to get a much larger increase in homeowner's insurance rates last year. Thank goodness the legislature didn't give him exactly what he wanted. He stretched the truth when someone exposed what he was attempting to do.

He refrains from using email because this can be part of public record. He does his dealings verbally so he can spin the truth later.
WOW...that sounds like Gov. Haley in South Carolina....I wonder if he gave her pointers. Reading all the info as we were looking at moving from SC to FL but worried about homeowner's coverage....does anyone know how USAA rates stack up or if they provide coverage??

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^LOL, My neighbor just got his bill this year a $2000 increase to $6000 (he's thinking about paying off the house and foregoing insurance all together). My parents had a $1800 increase on their bill as well. Scott will not get re elected my republican neighbor said to me yesterday, as people can't believe the outrageous increases they are getting in the mail. Its one thing to raise it $500 every year, but a $2000 increase over night...

I know many people that don't have mortgages now, that are forgoing insurance all together or just buying renters insurance and fire. The prices of insurance in South Florida are outrageous. Yet the people in Tallahassee to represent us the people of Florida are not looking out for us. If they were thinking about the people of Florida they wouldn't have approved the 50% price hike I think it was for insurance providers last year.

I'm sorry but a $2000 increase is crazy to do to people. How high will it have to go before the State of Florida does something?

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-16-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida