Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been busier than usual lately, so I probably missed this info in a previous thread - I apologize in advance if this has been covered:

I had heard that the latest about the property tax changes is that they are on hold......is that where we're at now?

I read something that briefly stated that the wording of the amendment was "unconstitutional" because the wording could be easily misconstrued/misleading (I could not agree more ).

Supposedly it is on hold now, but the article stated that the wording might simply be changed and then it could be back on for a vote in January.

I'm so confused with all of this and we have some house decisions to make in the next few weeks.....between what may or may not happen tax-wise and what may or may not happen with these new roofing laws, I'm having a hard time making an informed decision .

Any insight would be appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM

192 posts, read 858,164 times
I've been busier than usual lately, so I probably missed this info in a previous thread - I apologize in advance if this has been covered:

Quote:
I had heard that the latest about the property tax changes is that they are on hold......is that where we're at now?
Yes, you heard right.

Quote:
I read something that briefly stated that the wording of the amendment was "unconstitutional" because the wording could be easily misconstrued/misleading (I could not agree more ).
Yes again.

Quote:
Supposedly it is on hold now, but the article stated that the wording might simply be changed and then it could be back on for a vote in January.
Yes, there is still talk of changing a few things I read today they are considering making changes to not allow cities to override the yearly adjustments and other things that would benefit home owners, just read the highlights on the way back from Ft. Lauderdale today(in Naples paper I think)

Quote:
I'm so confused with all of this and we have some house decisions to make in the next few weeks.....between what may or may not happen tax-wise and what may or may not happen with these new roofing laws, I'm having a hard time making an informed decision .
I know how you feel, we just in the last year did the roofs on both our homes,(had no idea about this law) now debating tax/insurance to sell or not. We become more inclined to sell every day, now if the market would just cooperate.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Thank you Dee, that's a relief.

I know some people have been waiting for the amendment and see it as an opportunity - and I understand that it could be a benefit for some people, at least in the short term - but I personally am glad it's on the back burner right now.

The roof changes are something else, I don't know quite what to do there yet (might just slap a roof on even before the addition and work with it ).

Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Yes I predicted that they would give the most important issue (property taxes) the lowest priority. Knowing their track record nothing at all will be accomplished. The future crash will be a lot harder thanks to property tax.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Florida Republican leaders drop effort to phase out property tax limits -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,606,138 times
Default Contact your Legislator!

The amendment was removed from the January ballot bacause of the wording. It was too confusing and it did not tell voters that SOH would eventually be phased out by the new super exemption. You can keep track of the amendment (read the summary wording along with the entire amendment) at Vote Smart Florida, a free, non partisan website.

During the next special session later this month, legislators need to take all actions necessary to ensure that property tax relief will be on the January 29 ballot. If an amendment is not placed on the ballot, there will be NO tax relief in 2008 at all.

It's time to take action and contact your Legislator!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 AM

149 posts, read 701,332 times
I am hoping for them to keep SOH and also have the super exemption. Wishful thinking?...

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
The amendment was removed from the January ballot bacause of the wording. It was too confusing and it did not tell voters that SOH would eventually be phased out by the new super exemption. You can keep track of the amendment (read the summary wording along with the entire amendment) at Vote Smart Florida, a free, non partisan website.

During the next special session later this month, legislators need to take all actions necessary to ensure that property tax relief will be on the January 29 ballot. If an amendment is not placed on the ballot, there will be NO tax relief in 2008 at all.

It's time to take action and contact your Legislator!
Good luck, I think mine has me on call block!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwick release View Post
I am hoping for them to keep SOH and also have the super exemption. Wishful thinking?...
My dream too........

Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Good luck, I think mine has me on call block!
Tallrick, you need to stay in FL- forget about 'bama !

All the effort you've put in already......you need to stick it out and see what happens for you, don't you think?

Idea: multiple email addresses for you to contact your legislators with - they can't block you that way .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida