Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times

Advertisements

I noticed some thing strange about Florida at least south and central Florida among blacks and Hispanics is there is lack of hood feel . In Atlanta , Jacksonville and Philadelphia and other cities on east coast there is more of baggy clothing , sagging pants , long big oversize t-shirt ,baggy pants . But in Miami and Tampa that does not really seem to be case . I wonder if the baggy look is more of American native thing where most of blacks and Hispanics in Miami and Tampa where not born in the US may be the reason why .

May be the baggy look is more thing in out side of city of Tampa proper in Hillsborough County or Pasco County more in suburbs.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
The baggy clothes look has been an "urban" style for umpteen years and for whatever reason (thankfully I suppose) hasn't made it everywhere.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
The oversized clothing thing is a prison thing. They have taken the look out of prisons and put it on the street. In prison, they dont go by size, but availability of clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The baggy clothes look has been an "urban" style for umpteen years and for whatever reason (thankfully I suppose) hasn't made it everywhere.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Personally, I think you're crazy. It's a subculture and the same things I saw and lived with growing up in Florida is the same things I saw while living in Memphis, New Orleans, and Houston.

Of course, those are "Gulf Coast" and "Deep South" cities and not "East Coast."

Atlanta (much like most of Florida) is full of transplants too, so maybe that's the reason.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 AM

443 posts, read 559,004 times
Lack of hood feel? Did you completely miss the area north/northeast of downtown? It's a giant patch of ghetto.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The oversized clothing thing is a prison thing. They have taken the look out of prisons and put it on the street. In prison, they dont go by size, but availability of clothing.
Ummm, they don't get clothing in prison. They're assigned prison uniforms that run more or less by actual size. The look in question is a conscious fashion choice.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
yes.. uniforms.

Quote:
Ummm, they don't get clothing in prison. They're assigned prison uniforms that run more or less by actual size. The look in question is a conscious fashion choice.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Sagging pants originated in jails due to the nonavailability of belts. It spread to urban areas because many who got out or those wanting to emulate them wore their clothes this way to let people know they just got out or wanted people to think they just got out.
Yes the look is a conscious fashion choice but the origins were jails and prisons.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I noticed some thing strange about Florida at least south and central Florida among blacks and Hispanics is there is lack of hood feel . In Atlanta , Jacksonville and Philadelphia and other cities on east coast there is more of baggy clothing , sagging pants , long big oversize t-shirt ,baggy pants . But in Miami and Tampa that does not really seem to be case . I wonder if the baggy look is more of American native thing where most of blacks and Hispanics in Miami and Tampa where not born in the US may be the reason why .

May be the baggy look is more thing in out side of city of Tampa proper in Hillsborough County or Pasco County more in suburbs.

My experience as a prison guard was the baggy clothes were a tip off that the person wearing them was hiding contraband. Wannabe badasses copied this on the street. Cops love and hate this fashion trend. One thing they like is most of the punks trip and fall when they try to run away with their pants falling down but they hate the fact that all kinds of weapons and dangerous things can be hidden. As much as I dislike the "baggy" look it is still much better than the Bell Bottoms of the 1970's.

GL2

Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The baggier the clothing, the warmer it is on a body, and it could be a simple case of not wanting to roast every time you walk out the door trumping fashion common in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida