Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGilbert View Post
Thank you to everyone here!!!

I appreciate your input. Progressive and conservative are more than blue and red to me. I do think democratic areas tend to be more progressive so this has been great info, but it's more than that. We are looking for a forward thinking, tolerant and modern culture. I find these areas seem to cluster near universities. I will take the advice of Bucfan and check out the Tampa area forum. Again, you have all been a great help.
I'm from Philly/NJ. I would say that Florida is not an intentionally "forward thinking modern culture" like you will find in say, Calif, Wash, Oregon, Conn. because it just doesn't "care" as much. And it really doesn't "care as much" about being the opposite of progressive either!

If that makes sense. In those states you find initiatives all the time to "progress" things. One example may be starting a progressive focused curriculum in schools before other states. Or say, making it a priority to change laws to accommodate undocumented people more easily.

Florida is laid back - people are not as vocal/talkative about such things in my experience. That goes both ways you won't find as many vocally "socially progressive" people OR "culturally negative" people especially in the areas you're looking at. Remember people are moving here all the time from elsewhere and with them comes their original values.

You will definitely find people you like and can raise your child with in your social circle without always looking over your shoulder for negative influences on him/her. Maybe more like a "micro-culture"

Good luck! (p.s. as a dog walker I have heard some of my most culturally progressive clients be the most homophobic. They might vote Dem - if they vote at all - then have plenty of rude comments and "jokes" (snark) to make about the people that live right in their own buildings. People are not always what they appear!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm from Philly/NJ. I would say that Florida is not an intentionally "forward thinking modern culture" like you will find in say, Calif, Wash, Oregon, Conn. because it just doesn't "care" as much. And it really doesn't "care as much" about being the opposite of progressive either!

If that makes sense. In those states you find initiatives all the time to "progress" things. One example may be starting a progressive focused curriculum in schools before other states. Or say, making it a priority to change laws to accommodate undocumented people more easily.

Florida is laid back - people are not as vocal/talkative about such things in my experience. That goes both ways you won't find as many vocally "socially progressive" people OR "culturally negative" people especially in the areas you're looking at. Remember people are moving here all the time from elsewhere and with them comes their original values.

You will definitely find people you like and can raise your child with in your social circle without always looking over your shoulder for negative influences on him/her. Maybe more like a "micro-culture"

Good luck! (p.s. as a dog walker I have heard some of my most culturally progressive clients be the most homophobic. They might vote Dem - if they vote at all - then have plenty of rude comments and "jokes" (snark) to make about the people that live right in their own buildings. People are not always what they appear!)
Great post ^^^.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
I don't know if Coral Gables is still on your list or not but know you probably need fluent Spanish to live comfortably there. It is a very affluent Spanish part of Miami and $2500 is kind of an entry level rental there.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM

443 posts, read 559,385 times
Sarasota likes to pretend it's a progressive, "funky" little town but make no mistake... it is NOT. It is a very conservative, very old, very small spot on the map. I second the Ft. Lauderdale recommendation.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Sarasota likes to pretend it's a progressive, "funky" little town but make no mistake... it is NOT. It is a very conservative, very old, very small spot on the map. I second the Ft. Lauderdale recommendation.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Don't leave out very rich and very white.

I love Sarasota and think it is the greatest city in Florida but it is definitely a Republican town with a lot of art and amenities.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM

443 posts, read 559,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Don't be mad because I'm right. I know you can't go 3 minutes without mentioning Sarasota but it's really not all that. It's very small, very overpriced, and squarely in the red. A few artsy shops and a drum circle on the beach don't magically transform it into a "funky" progressive town. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM

166 posts, read 282,045 times
Quote:
Don't be mad because I'm right. I know you can't go 3 minutes without mentioning Sarasota but it's really not all that. It's very small, very overpriced, and squarely in the red. A few artsy shops and a drum circle on the beach don't magically transform it into a "funky" progressive town. Sorry.
100% True !!!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGilbert View Post
Thank you to everyone here!!!

I appreciate your input. Progressive and conservative are more than blue and red to me. I do think democratic areas tend to be more progressive so this has been great info, but it's more than that. We are looking for a forward thinking, tolerant and modern culture. I find these areas seem to cluster near universities. I will take the advice of Bucfan and check out the Tampa area forum. Again, you have all been a great help.
People on the Tampa/St. Pete forum will only tell you how un-modern and forward thinking the city is, how it doesn't have mass transit and how the residents always vote down proposals to "make things better."

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
and squarely in the red.
Sounds like a selling point to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida