Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM

69 posts, read 139,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Malls and Spring Break for culture, insane traffic, generic prison architecture, pill mills and pawn shops on every corner dont make for a stimulating environment for some people.
Oh I didnt realise the whole state of Florida was like this. I stand corrected...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM

31 posts, read 58,647 times
We've lived here, in Sanford, for three years and love it. We relocated from NJ, and didn't love it there, but didn't hate it either. We loved the City, could have lived there but it's expensive. Lived in PA, but that was not for us, at all. What's not to love about Central Florida? The weather is perfect, traffic is nothing compared to NYC, NJ, or even where we had lived in PA. Our neighbors are incredible, mostly natives, a couple of transplants, but all positive that we live in paradise ! We have green year long, flowers at Christmas, swim in the ocean on Thanksgiving day, the springs the week before Christmas. Cut our tree down in shorts, grill year long, get to the parks any time we want. Attend free concerts at Cranes Roost in Altamonte, have more freedom than big brother Jersey, and did I mention the weather? We have guns, know how to use them, and love that freedom. We live in a racially diverse area, and could not be more thrilled. Love downtown Sanford, the Riverwalk, the splash pads, pools, etc. My only complaint is that we didn't move here sooner, and that we had kept telling people how great it is because now our former NJ neighbors are moving here, and most of our families. Probably in the next two years we won't have family anywhere else but here, which stinks for cost saving travel .

Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This.

Everyone has their place. Glad the OP loves Florida enough to create the 23,0056,00,0005,66 version of this subject

Malls and Spring Break for culture, insane traffic, generic prison architecture, pill mills and pawn shops on every corner dont make for a stimulating environment for some people.
Do you have any views that aren't ridiculous stereotypes?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieheretoflorida View Post
We've lived here, in Sanford, for three years and love it. We relocated from NJ, and didn't love it there, but didn't hate it either. We loved the City, could have lived there but it's expensive. Lived in PA, but that was not for us, at all. What's not to love about Central Florida? The weather is perfect, traffic is nothing compared to NYC, NJ, or even where we had lived in PA. Our neighbors are incredible, mostly natives, a couple of transplants, but all positive that we live in paradise ! We have green year long, flowers at Christmas, swim in the ocean on Thanksgiving day, the springs the week before Christmas. Cut our tree down in shorts, grill year long, get to the parks any time we want. Attend free concerts at Cranes Roost in Altamonte, have more freedom than big brother Jersey, and did I mention the weather? We have guns, know how to use them, and love that freedom. We live in a racially diverse area, and could not be more thrilled. Love downtown Sanford, the Riverwalk, the splash pads, pools, etc. My only complaint is that we didn't move here sooner, and that we had kept telling people how great it is because now our former NJ neighbors are moving here, and most of our families. Probably in the next two years we won't have family anywhere else but here, which stinks for cost saving travel .
Really? I don't mean Florida in general. I made my peace with Florida, I figured out the best you can do is to move to an upscale socially progressive part of town, and mitigate the rest of Florida. At any rate I work in the media so I spend quite a lot of time in Sanford for the trial, I stayed in Sanford and commuted back to Tampa somedays, I was just telling my wife I could not think of a worse place than Sanford, crappy chain restaurants, dumpy IMO, traffic through Orlando was a nightmare, relatively speaking in the middle of nowhere. Lake Mary wasn't bad in a cookie cutter kind of way but Sanford itself idk I guess there are worse places. Just really odd to hear someone say how great Sanford is.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Really? I don't mean Florida in general. I made my peace with Florida, I figured out the best you can do is to move to an upscale socially progressive part of town, and mitigate the rest of Florida. At any rate I work in the media so I spend quite a lot of time in Sanford for the trial, I stayed in Sanford and commuted back to Tampa somedays, I was just telling my wife I could not think of a worse place than Sanford, crappy chain restaurants, dumpy IMO, traffic through Orlando was a nightmare, relatively speaking in the middle of nowhere. Lake Mary wasn't bad in a cookie cutter kind of way but Sanford itself idk I guess there are worse places. Just really odd to hear someone say how great Sanford is.
Big difference between the Lake Monroe end of Sanford w/ Historic Downtown and a little bit south though...

On a side note, how do you like Tampa overall?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac1981 View Post
Big difference between the Lake Monroe end of Sanford w/ Historic Downtown and a little bit south though...

On a side note, how do you like Tampa overall?
Tampa is great overall, no major complains. I love South Tampa which is where I live. I love my neighborhood I am ok with my town, I can deal with Florida in general.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,187 times
I just dont get how people move from places with individuality to a place like Florida with endless strip malls and chain restaraunts and "love it"

Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I just dont get how people move from places with individuality to a place like Florida with endless strip malls and chain restaraunts and "love it"
I think Florida has a fair amount of things to offer that are unique to Florida as well though wouldnt you say?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac1981 View Post
I think Florida has a fair amount of things to offer that are unique to Florida as well though wouldnt you say?
It depends on the town, but not much.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
People are negative about Florida because it's not what they want it to be in their imagination.
I think this is it.

People come here for vacation and think "real life" here will be the same as what they experienced on their vacation, but think about it:

When you're on vacation, rarely are you on any time constraints, you're usually spending more money on a daily basis, each day is geared toward fun and relaxation.

Then people move here and then they see how traffic is a bear when you need to be somewhere at a specific time.. say a job, you can't afford to live each day spending money as you do/did on your vacation, and daily life stresses you out here.. just as it can anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida