Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeberlien View Post
I think that unfortunately the OP's opinion and/or mindset is pretty widespread. I think most Americans think in this way. Their success in there mind is measured by how high the corporate ladder they get, how much cash they take home per year, the big house on the corner lot, the fanciest or fastest car. And for all this nonsense they work their fingers to the bone, long hours, high pressure, bad bosses, political infighting and all that mess. Then they wake up one day and they are 65 years old and they wonder "where did my life go?". What did I really get for all that work? It's kinda sad. Life isn't about all that. Life is about doing what you truly enjoy, life is about spending quality time with friends and family. It's about stopping as often as possible and looking around to admire the grandeur of it all.

I am retired Air Force. In the military life moves pretty fast. I can remember complaining a lot that my weeks felt like weekends, and my weekends were non-existent. I believed at the time that upon my retirement life would slow. Was I ever wrong, nothing changed. It has become clear to me that if one wants their life to slow down one of the primary things they need to do is not get obsessed with climbing the corporate ladder. Live within your means, and keep your needs basic, arrange your life in such a way that you have the maximum free time possible. Overtime? No thank you. Material wealth and status isn't all that important. Waking up in the morning, and liking what you see when you look out your window is what's truly important. And even more important then that, having the time to go out and enjoy it:-)

A quick story to illustrate what I'm trying to say. We were living in New Port Richey in 2009 (I know, bad time to move to Florida). At any rate, we beached it a lot, we love the water and the beach :-) One particular day we went to one of the local smaller beaches, a place called Sunset Beach. We were there all day, all the way to sunset. The small beach was pretty empty all day up until the sun began to go down. About that time all these local folks came to the beach. I mean it got crowded fast. Fanny (wifey) and I are looking at each other and like we can't understand what the deal is. So I pick out an obviously married local couple, walk up and ask them. What's the deal here, I say to them. They looked at me like they didn't understand the question. They must have figured it out because they finally said: Have you ever watched the sun go down over the gulf? Of course I had not and so I said no. Right about then it was going down, they pointed and I watched. It was very beautiful, one of the prettiest things I've ever seen.

Do you understand? These regular people, they know :-) they knew :-) moving to Florida and not worrying about career isn't taking the easy way out sir. It's the right way out :-)

And then one day they turn 65 and realize they don't have enough money for a comfortable retirement. Sunsets and beaches are great, but trading income for sunshine is NOT the right way out. Unfortunately, this state is full of people who share your philosophy on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
And then one day they turn 65 and realize they don't have enough money for a comfortable retirement. Sunsets and beaches are great, but trading income for sunshine is NOT the right way out. Unfortunately, this state is full of people who share your philosophy on life.
For the population aged 65 and older NY, Alaska, District of Columbia, Hawaii, California, Louisiana and Texas have the highest level living below the poverty level. The average for the entire U.S. is 12% and Florida is at 14%. It hardly seems like Florida has a serious problem with this compared to the rest of the U.S.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
For the population aged 65 and older NY, Alaska, District of Columbia, Hawaii, California, Louisiana and Texas have the highest level living below the poverty level. The average for the entire U.S. is 12% and Florida is at 14%. It hardly seems like Florida has a serious problem with this compared to the rest of the U.S.
I wasn't necessarily talking about current retirees. I also didn't say anything about living below the poverty level, but that could easily happen if people don't prepare for retirement. We've all read the threads from people moving here with no plan except finding a dead end job.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
We moved from New England. My husband made more money than he makes now, but the cost of living is higher there, so it about evens out. I work from home, so it doesn't matter where I am as long as I have an Internet connection.

We love the weather (well, not in August...) and the general relaxed lifestyle. We are not huge beach-goers, though we live about 30 minutes from the Gulf. But it is beautiful here! Our eventual goal is to spend October to May here, and June through September in New England. It will most likely have to wait until the kids are grown and out of the house, though, so at least another eight years or so!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:34 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
And then one day they turn 65 and realize they don't have enough money for a comfortable retirement.... this state is full of people who share your philosophy on life.
Quote:
I wasn't necessarily talking about current retirees. I also didn't say anything about living below the poverty level, but that could easily happen if people don't prepare for retirement. We've all read the threads from people moving here with no plan except finding a dead end job.
You tried to make it seem as if those over 65 are not living as comfortably as those over 65 in other states. You usual anti-Florida post. Lacking any sort of proof, just your slanted view.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
You tried to make it seem as if those over 65 are not living as comfortably as those over 65 in other states. You usual anti-Florida post. Lacking any sort of proof, just your slanted view.
The greater point is that Florida is full of people who want to ride it out, looking for a dead end job and ride it out. i think is fair to say by looking at the number of post from people who are looking for a job with enough money to get by, stay in the nice weather, saying they dont need much. i am not saying is an all-inclusive sample data. I also think you can make the argument states like New Mexico, Alabama, Mississippi who have a great percentage of their labor force on SSI have a worse problem.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The whole point of my post was it's not a good idea to move here(or anywhere) without career goals. Did you read the comment I was referring to? Do think you moving to Florida and not worrying about your career is the "right way".

Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Good Question however everywhere you read certain professions in Health Care will be rising up to almost 40% in demand by 2020..Obama Care is horrible and I am afraid to see how it unfolds...
Demand is rising yes, because the population is aging and due to the Baby Boomer generation, at the same time though if Obamacare does not pan out and places start pulling the 29/hr a week trick to avoid giving their employees health insurance, how in the world will they be able to afford it on their own? I have seen some insurance rates at companies down here costing upwards of $1500/month for a Family and that's a co-pay plan.

Also saying that you have to have insurance, the mandate that is, and it's unknown at this time if the rates will be affordable and those at the poverty level will place a strain on the system because the money to pay for this will have to come from somewhere.

Point is, you cannot have rising healthcare costs and high salaries for health care professions while everyone else is working at flat or subpar salary levels, the balance is out and there is no way to sustain all of the money the Government IOU's are taking.

"As of January 2014, Obamacare requires everyone to buy health insurance. Those that don't will be taxed about 1% of their 2014 income."

Soon it will be like Car Insurance here, insane and a start of another industry for people to profit from.

"Small Businesses - Companies with 50 or more employees will be required to provide health insurance in 2015. If they can't or won't, they will be taxed $2,000 per employee, except for the first 30 employees. To help them find the cheapest plans, businesses with fewer than 50 employees can shop for the best plans on the health insurance exchanges in 2014."

Works out for companies down here since most are small, surely though this will kill growth of the companies and job creation as some will make it their point to keep the headcount under 50.

Nevermind the Social Security mess, in 20 to 30 years, people who are 20 now will not have much savings to live the Florida retirement/Active Adult lifestyle and a new Cadillac or Lexus in the garage ever 2 years.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The greater point is that Florida is full of people who want to ride it out, looking for a dead end job and ride it out. i think is fair to say by looking at the number of post from people who are looking for a job with enough money to get by, stay in the nice weather, saying they dont need much. i am not saying is an all-inclusive sample data. I also think you can make the argument states like New Mexico, Alabama, Mississippi who have a great percentage of their labor force on SSI have a worse problem.
It's not hard though to go out here in my area and observe people and how they are living, that is during the normal work week when a typical person is slaving at the mines, you will see people of the "working age" hanging out at Starbucks on their smartphones, iPads or laptops...not dressed in Business Casual but t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops...see this all over, whether I take a lunch break at the malls or stop in a store to run errands. I think to myself okay, maybe they are tourists, then I say nah can't be such a high number but a few yes...maybe they work 2nd or 3rd shift, could be but most would be in bed at that time and aside from hospitals, there isn't much 2nd and 3rd shift here. Not like we are an area for Factory Jobs.

The people also do not look like they are in a hurry or stressed...point is there are a lot of people here of the working age who do not work or have to work for a multiple number of reasons. I see plenty that have 3 to 4 kids as well.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
It's not hard though to go out here in my area and observe people and how they are living, that is during the normal work week when a typical person is slaving at the mines, you will see people of the "working age" hanging out at Starbucks on their smartphones, iPads or laptops...not dressed in Business Casual but t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops...see this all over, whether I take a lunch break at the malls or stop in a store to run errands. I think to myself okay, maybe they are tourists, then I say nah can't be such a high number but a few yes...maybe they work 2nd or 3rd shift, could be but most would be in bed at that time and aside from hospitals, there isn't much 2nd and 3rd shift here. Not like we are an area for Factory Jobs.

The people also do not look like they are in a hurry or stressed...point is there are a lot of people here of the working age who do not work or have to work for a multiple number of reasons. I see plenty that have 3 to 4 kids as well.
You would see me in a Starbucks or library hanging out on my laptop, dressed in a tshirt and capris and flipflops. I actually own my own business and that would be working for me. I would not look hurried or stressed, either, because for the most part, I am in control of my time. On my days off, you might find me browsing in a bookstore, having lunch with my friends, etc. Not wanting to slave at the mines, as you put it, does not mean that one is sitting around doing nothing. But even if they are, why would you care? My philosophy is that work is a part of life, not the reason for life. So if I can get all of my work done in 15 or 18 hours per week, then the rest of the time, I can just do what I want. I do quite a bit of volunteer work and I have two kids in school, but if I want to spend my free time reading a book at the beach, then for you (general, not you in particular) to get into a tizzy about it sounds like sour grapes to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida