Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

There is roughly 700k people unemployed in the state of Florida. Its a big state.

Why would a company advertise a job position that does not exist? Just for the fun of it?
Just to spend the time and effort of their HR people?

Its takes more than looking nice and dressing nice to get a job. You have to be better at the potential job than anyone else that has applied for the job.

Has it ever worked any other way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, with tens of thousands applying for several thousand that list as "available", many of which are formality postings because the position has long been tendered for an internal applicant. No trouble at all in other words according to some, if you just look nice/dress nice and apply the jobs are yours for the taking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Thats my point HoF. You have to be able to give an employer something of value and worth to them. Companies are not in business to hand out job to people who cant complete the function of the job. It seems to me that a lot of people think that they should walk into a well paying job because they deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
There are jobs in Florida. However, whether or not you can land them depends on what you're looking for and your skillset. I'm in IT so I've never had a problem finding a job whether it's working for the government, private sector or freelance contract work on my own.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM

An afterthought.

About 8 years ago I applied for a job with the state of florida. Dozens of people applied for the job. 12 were selected to be interviewed. 6 of the 12 were cut out by the actual department that had the job available. That means one of the 6 got the job. The idea is to be that one person who outshines the others.

Quote:
Yes, with tens of thousands applying for several thousand that list as "available", many of which are formality postings because the position has long been tendered for an internal applicant. No trouble at all in other words according to some, if you just look nice/dress nice and apply the jobs are yours for the taking.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM

The million you refer to was 3, closer to 4 years ago. The published October figure is 625,225.

I stated before. If you want a menial minimum wage job there is always Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith555 View Post
well with 1 million people unemployed it looks like there is not even menial jobs available...
probably whats available is foreclosures and alligators

Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 PM

How close to what? I dont know if they are FT or PT, but if they are PT get two PT jobs

You would be surprised how many jobs are really down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith555 View Post
thanks!
btw how close are the minimum wage jobs and are they all part time? i am just tired of the north and who wouldnt be

Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofel View Post
or there is nothing left
Can you drive a truck?
https://www.google.ca/#q=truck+drivi...ea&safe=active

Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There is roughly 700k people unemployed in the state of Florida. Its a big state.

Why would a company advertise a job position that does not exist? Just for the fun of it?
Just to spend the time and effort of their HR people?

Its takes more than looking nice and dressing nice to get a job. You have to be better at the potential job than anyone else that has applied for the job.

Has it ever worked any other way?
"Even though federal labor rules don't require employers to post openings, human-resources departments at many companies require them to be listed on a job board or career site for some period, says Debra Feldman, an executive career consultant based in Greenwich, Conn. Such postings are meant to make hiring fair and transparent, and may help to protect employers from discrimination lawsuits or audits by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission."

Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The million you refer to was 3, closer to 4 years ago. The published October figure is 625,225.

I stated before. If you want a menial minimum wage job there is always Wal-Mart.
Published Unemployment Numbers from the BLS do not reflect those that have exhausted Unemployment Compensation, those that have simply given up looking for work, or the underemployed who take whatever they can find at a fraction of their old salary. The workforce participation rate in Florida is at around 60%. Florida has 19.3 million residents of which around 11,580,000 are considered "eligible" workers between the ages of 18 and 65. With 40% of that number not working, we're looking at over 4 million non-working Floridians. If one wants to water that down with those under 18 or over 65 still working....one can, though bear in mind only a small percent are working full-time and making nay kind of a decent salary.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Most companies I know post open positions in house first. If nobody qualifies for the position then it is put out publicly. If a position existed in house and somebody took it the job would be filled aND nobody on the outside would know it ever happened. I think that the opinion of Debra Feldman is fantasy. Especially the part about lawsuits or audits from the EEOC. The EEOC does not perform such a function.

=
Quote:
"Even though federal labor rules don't require employers to post openings, human-resources departments at many companies require them to be listed on a job board or career site for some period, says Debra Feldman, an executive career consultant based in Greenwich, Conn. Such postings are meant to make hiring fair and transparent, and may help to protect employers from discrimination lawsuits or audits by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission."

Old 12-15-2013, 06:08 AM

If they stop looking for a job, then they want to be unemployed. I'd like to see some facts about your assumption that almost 1/2 of the workforce in FL is unemployed. If that were the case there would be tent cities all over the place and the crime rate would explode due to the desperation of 4 million unemployed eligible workers.

Quote:
Published Unemployment Numbers from the BLS do not reflect those that have exhausted Unemployment Compensation, those that have simply given up looking for work, or the underemployed who take whatever they can find at a fraction of their old salary. The workforce participation rate in Florida is at around 60%. Florida has 19.3 million residents of which around 11,580,000 are considered "eligible" workers between the ages of 18 and 65. With 40% of that number not working, we're looking at over 4 million non-working Floridians. If one wants to water that down with those under 18 or over 65 still working....one can, though bear in mind only a small percent are working full-time and making nay kind of a decent salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: