Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times

Advertisements

Which Hispanic group occupies what area, and when this will happen, is a pointless squable; reason why I normally stray far threads like this.

Numbers and quantities of XYZ ethnic group may tilt the balance towards one political party or another. And it will force some businesses to include the phrase Se Habla Español in their adds, etc.. Anything else?

On the surface - and from what I've observed over the years - these two points (i.e., a Hispanic headcount and bilingual adds) seem to excite a vast swath of Latinos, as if somehow that equates to some sort of domination and success.

IMO, numbers of people and signs in Spanish don't amount to significant domination and success.

I live in SoCal which happens to be a Mecca for Central Americans and Mexicans. There's also a large number of East Asians, namely Taiwanese, Mainland Chinese, South Koreans, and Filipinos.

While Hispanics outnumber East Asians by far, Asians are the ones with the economic upper hand in this region. Why? Because Asians value higher education and academic success which normally results in high income occupations and more.

That aside, most newly arrived Asians eagerly seek to improve their English skills and comprehension. Unlike many Hispanics, most Asians do not arrive expecting for US Citizens to speak their native language.

The Asian model of success comes by way of academic acheivement, English comprehension, and a hardwork ethic. Hispanics on the other hand appear to be under the false impression that their numbers will somehow result in domination and/or success. That is definitely not the case.

In order for Hispanics to be a force to be rekconed with, higher education and English domination should become key elements which to strive for and acheive immediately upon arrival. Getting out of the subculture mentality and being part of Mainstream USA would also help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
LMAO- lol. Yo if you are going to Tampa there are places where Mexicans are majority, well pockets anyways. Downtown Clearwater (Drew st n Cleveland), SE Tampa @ S 22nd St and BUS 41/ TOLL 618, Bradenton, Memphis/Palmetto, Dover, Brandon, Plant City, Lake Land, Mulberry, Winter Haven, Bartow, Wauchula, Avon Park, Lake Wales, Arcadia, Wimauma and plenty more places in the Tampa area. Most of the Mexicans are very Americanized not like the Mexicans in Atlanta area (Marietta, Lawerenceville, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Tucker, Forest Park, Riverdale, Union city, Roswell, Alpharetta and etc) (or even Carollton, Dawsonville, Holly Springs, Canton, Gainesville and etc.) PS No Mexicans do not generally mix much with other Latinos unless they are Guatematecos, Hondurenos or Salvadorenos. But I suggest Orlando or Kissimmee because I see there seems to be less boundaries of Latino culture there. Very mixed in. any other questions u can ask directly @ [email]carlmcauley@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlmcauley View Post
LMAO- lol. Yo if you are going to Tampa there are places where Mexicans are majority, well pockets anyways. Downtown Clearwater (Drew st n Cleveland), SE Tampa @ S 22nd St and BUS 41/ TOLL 618, Bradenton, Memphis/Palmetto, Dover, Brandon, Plant City, Lake Land, Mulberry, Winter Haven, Bartow, Wauchula, Avon Park, Lake Wales, Arcadia, Wimauma and plenty more places in the Tampa area. Most of the Mexicans are very Americanized not like the Mexicans in Atlanta area (Marietta, Lawerenceville, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Tucker, Forest Park, Riverdale, Union city, Roswell, Alpharetta and etc) (or even Carollton, Dawsonville, Holly Springs, Canton, Gainesville and etc.) PS No Mexicans do not generally mix much with other Latinos unless they are Guatematecos, Hondurenos or Salvadorenos. But I suggest Orlando or Kissimmee because I see there seems to be less boundaries of Latino culture there. Very mixed in. any other questions u can ask directly @ carlmcauley@yahoo.com
Thanks, but no thanks! "Pockets" of any one particular ethnicity often results in nothing more than clanish behaviour and subculturalism.

Personally, I find fulfillment in associating with people from diverse ethnicities. There is so much to be learned from others instead of one select group, particularly our own ethnicity. For example, I've lived in predominantly Latino communities in the past. However, in 2012, I had the pleasure of sharing a house with three persons from Taiwan. We shared our radically distinct cultural values, ways of thinking, foods, music, etc. We mutually benefited and learned from each other. It's an experience I will deeply value for my entire life.

I now live amongst another ethnic group. Surely, not everyone has the opportunity to coexist with other groups. For those of us who do, the experience is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida