Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Sure, that's because there is no state tax. But are the majority of the immigrants coming in middle class and above ? I think not ...
There are many other financially related benefits in FL.

What do u have to support your thinking that the majority of the immigrants are less than middle class?
What are they going to live on? Sunshine? The state offers virtually no public welfare benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 08:27 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I like your balanced outlook - I feel the same. I have been to many states, and as you said they ALL have their good and bad. Some are better than others. As a native, I can honestly say there is no other state I would rather live, no place would be better than here, for ME. As all other states, it has it's cities and towns that are nicer than others. Frankly I am not happy with the overpopulation, due to reasons others have already expressed - I especially do not like losing natural resources, and displacing wildlife, or the wanton cutting of trees, etc. But it seems most of the people moving here, seem to go to the already overpopulated areas on the coasts and south Florida. Still plenty of rural land for now.

Yes, Florida is a polarizing place. I see the same on the California forums. I think basically all of the most popular and populated places are, and people who don't like these places are more vocal about it. It's just that the MAJORITY who live in those states love them, and are not posting on websites such as this.
Very true and great post! I think it also has a lot to do with others being so vocal about parts of these states and if there are stereotypes associated with areas within such states that don't tell the whole story.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are idiots everywhere.

I wouldnt worry too much about the future of Florida's natural attributes.
The last few years had me worried as the idjits in Tallahassee not only defunded Florida Forever but were actively trying to sell off sensitive conservation lands. But even that lot should notice that Amendment 1 passed with a 75/25 vote in November, which is a mandate you essentially never see in a statewide ballot question down here.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:36 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
immigrants for a fact work-they are here to do just that- work! I remember Andrew- do you KNOW who picked up all that debree- ? immigrants- many got sick from the waste as it becomes toxic with the water and other stuff that flew off with the hurricane. Some people abuse FL they are trying to make it that ONLY the rich can be here specially near the coasts- those rich people live in NY because the business is there along with the networking- but they all have a place in Fl and O/S- to go play-

Old 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Sorry, but weren't you were saying that the state was overpopulated awhile back ? And will the current infrastructure and employment situation support these new immigrants ?
No. I did not state anything about over population of the state. Areas like S. FL are overpopulated as more and more people squeeze in there. What problems do you find in infrastructure? The unemployment rate in Fl is 6.2 (and dont give me that crapolla that the numbers are fake. Every state is rated the same way)
California is at 7.4, D.C. 7.4, New York 6.6. So whats the problem?

National Homeownership rate, 2009-2013 64.9% FL 67.1. GA is 65.1 NC 66.4
NY is 54.2 CA is 55.3.

Median income: NC $46,334. FL $46,956 CA $61,094 NY $58,003
IL $56,797. MI $48,411

Poverty rate NC 17.5 GA 18.2 MI 16.8 IL 14.1 NY 15.3 FL 16.3

What is indicating that FL is this state full of poor people struggling to stay alive?

It seems to me that you FL haters are trying to justify your leaving the state.
None of you FL haters are native to the state so you left someplace else to come here.
WHY did you come here? You obviously knew the weather situation, the employment rate,
the COL in general, auto insurance, homeowners insurance. No secrets. All widely available information which today you use against FL while the states that you folks are in have it worse or some in
very very close to the FL figures.

Bunch of malcontent, angry, unhappy, miserable whiners and former FL residents.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No. I did not state anything about over population of the state. Areas like S. FL are overpopulated as more and more people squeeze in there. What problems do you find in infrastructure? The unemployment rate in Fl is 6.2 (and dont give me that crapolla that the numbers are fake. Every state is rated the same way)
California is at 7.4, D.C. 7.4, New York 6.6. So whats the problem?

National Homeownership rate, 2009-2013 64.9% FL 67.1. GA is 65.1 NC 66.4
NY is 54.2 CA is 55.3.

Median income: NC $46,334. FL $46,956 CA $61,094 NY $58,003
IL $56,797. MI $48,411

Poverty rate NC 17.5 GA 18.2 MI 16.8 IL 14.1 NY 15.3 FL 16.3

What is indicating that FL is this state full of poor people struggling to stay alive?

It seems to me that you FL haters are trying to justify your leaving the state.
None of you FL haters are native to the state so you left someplace else to come here.
WHY did you come here? You obviously knew the weather situation, the employment rate,
the COL in general, auto insurance, homeowners insurance. No secrets. All widely available information which today you use against FL while the states that you folks are in have it worse or some in
very very close to the FL figures.

Bunch of malcontent, angry, unhappy, miserable whiners and former FL residents.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:47 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
I'm all for growth, but it would be nice if it was Smart Growth. Florida has to stop with all winding road, cul de sac filled, residential only, subdivisions that all dump out onto one main artery.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The last few years had me worried as the idjits in Tallahassee not only defunded Florida Forever but were actively trying to sell off sensitive conservation lands. But even that lot should notice that Amendment 1 passed with a 75/25 vote in November, which is a mandate you essentially never see in a statewide ballot question down here.
Keep voting Republican. That is where the problem lies. However, Amendment 1 makes sure that billions of dollars get tucked away for the environment. As far as land sales the state, by law, has to purchase up to $70 million dollars worth land to protect, but only if it first sells $50 million dollars worth of land.

There are many organizations who are watchdogs of the environment in FL. The state government is not autonomous in its actions and for the most part the state government is not interested in destruction of our natural resources.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I'm all for growth, but it would be nice if it was Smart Growth. Florida has to stop with all winding road, cul de sac filled, residential only, subdivisions that all dump out onto one main artery.
I'll to agree with that. Seems like there is very little community development. My part of the state is exactly how you describe it.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I give myself about 5-10 yrs then I'm outahere.........
wondering where u would go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida