Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

For non-bird species :

82)Decorating "tropical" in your house doesn't seem goofy with snow outside.

83)Pretty decent free pedicure just by walking on the beach every day.

84)Breathing in salt ocean breezes walking on the beach versus car emissions walking in your home city for exercise.

85)De-cluttering by giving away the treadmill, a daily must have up North.

86)More incentives to even exercise at all with the beach/ICW/canals/lakes/shaded parks right at your feet.

87)You get to change your entire wardrobe (even if it is UVA UVB protective Coolibar)

88)Full time Crocs with no socks required.

89)Wearing alot of white without looking out of place.

90)Your house doesn't smell of stale cooking odor all the time since you're too busy having fun to cook while locked up in the house all winter.

91)Your carpet doesn't always look dirty and retain odors and germs since you don't HAVE ANY!

92)Going for inland drives and seeing miles and miles of various cool looking cattle roaming around free with very little human footprint around them.

93)Living right at a historic national landmark for animals. The nation's first wildlife refuge, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge, 1903. The beginning of the entire national refuge system.

94)Sitting out on your lanai (when you can squeeze in with the pet birds) enjoying the estuary and wetlands right in your own backyard.

95)Hearing the cacophony of celebration by wildlife every time it rains and during the night time (frog types).

96)Hoping to learn the new type of wildlife around your house. What IS that black bird that keeps visiting mine at dawn every day anyway?

97)Taking pleasure of preventing the destruction of your neighborhood wetlands when the builder tries to sneak the landscapers in to apply toxic poisons to the ground. (small ecological wins, YAY).

98)Watching and enjoying the completely dark beach areas at night out of respect to the sea turtles nesting light prohibition.

99)OH, and not even much noticing hot flashes since they mostly blend in with the daily temps here!

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 08-12-2008 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: ETA to add count, 4 from last post and this = 22 reasons; added numbers(FD)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Different stroke for different folks, err, CATS!
That's so funny! (well not in his opinion)....exactly!

I keep telling my kid, co-habitating is much more complicated than you think!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
For non-bird species :
OH, and not even much noticing hot flashes since they mostly blend in with the daily temps here!

I am ROTFL!!!! That's great .....I just WISH it were true! My hot flashes make Florida's heat seem mild! Sometimes I just open the freezer door and stand there or take a package of frozen peas out and rub it on my body! Get a visual on that one...NOT!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I am ROTFL!!!! That's great .....I just WISH it were true! My hot flashes make Florida's heat seem mild! Sometimes I just open the freezer door and stand there or take a package of frozen peas out and rub it on my body! Get a visual on that one...NOT!!!

Thanks for the laugh.
I know, right? See, people are all basically the same ha ha. I swear I do that too plenty of times....My birds always have frozen peas in the freezer!

It's so funny, my first time with hot flashes I was in Ft L. visiting my son and was complaining to the HVAC guy about the system. He had to break the news to me that it was HOT FLASHES! One of the skills necessary to be in that profession I guess....

That was way back in 2005

Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
He had to break the news to me that it was HOT FLASHES! One of the skills necessary to be in that profession I guess....
Nope, it's that rude customer service in action .

Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Nope, it's that rude customer service in action .
You're exactly right about "rude customer". The poor guy...as you can imagine...I was quite adamant in my assertions that the AC was malfunctioning. (sorta like malcontent).

Then he showed me the completely clogged AC filter that the girlfriend never replaced like he told her to do on the phone 5 days earlier.

Then I made him climb all the way up and try and squeeze into this tiny 3x3 attic hole where the Mainlands houses all built their ceilings AROUND the AC furnace....totally inaccessible....you need to tear down a ceiling to get to it....he was about 6'4 and chubby and of course couldn't fit more than his head in there.

After, my kid rolled his eyes, gave the guy a sympathetic slap on the back, and closed himself up in the office from mom-embarrassment. Then we had the hot flash discussion, the chubby guy and me. Luckily he had a mom my age and was able to laugh about it to break the bad news in a friendly way.

So I politely asked for an estimate to replace the system just to appear that I might actually spend a few thousand (on a RENTAL house, yeah right).

In addition to lapsing into being one myself occasionally, I know about rude customers after working with the public at the phone company for years and owning a pet store (no dogs or cats).

Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I just had my A/C replaced in the Florida house.
To do it correctly, they usually do a "Manual J" heat loss/gain assessment, checking window size, insulation levels, etc......
Perhaps part of that assessment should be factoring hot flashes..

I know some ladies who have a club called the Red Hat club......perhaps my wife and you other good ladies may want to start a new club, the Red Face club.....you can hold your meetings in a refrigerated boxcar or a cold storage warehouse......

Seriously, I should not make light of it....for some, it is more then a nuisance, it can be downright debilitating. Hopefully, they will not last long. Up north here, it is helping my heating costs....I'm hoping they will be gone in 3 years, so it does not hurt my cooling costs in Florida....

OK, back to reasons to like Florida........ Remember to number them if you want so we can see how many reasons we get......

Frank D.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
OK, just to make it easier, I combined the ones I posted. I left out the ones others posted, just because I did no want to take credit for them.

Feel free to add to the list...please number them, (like someone next should add #78.....)
Let's see how much we get up to.....

DISCLAIMER- It is hereby acknowledged that Florida is NOT perfect. People must understand that sunshine in itself does not supply all of your needs, and anyone moving to Florida are advised to do research, and realize that they need an income to survive, just like in the other 49 states. We also understand it is not Mickeyland, and it does get hot. If you like to snowmobile, make snowmen, cut down your own Christmas tree and drag it through the snowy woods, Florida may not be for you.

Lastly, this is meant to be a lighthearted post..let's keep it that way. It is a FUN post, meant to just bring a smile or two. Sometimes even Floridians need to see that there are a few things to be thankful for.

No debating here.....let's leave that to the many other good threads.

Here we go....

1) cool reflectors on all the roads.....feels like I'm driving on an airport runway....
2) Grass that feels like you are walking on an air mattress.
3) Never having to bring all your aerosols, liquids down in the basement so they won't freeze in your garage
4) No basement to even do that in....
5) No need to own a snowblower, or rototiller, or ice scrapers, or snow shovels, or cans of walkway salt.
6) I can mow all year!
7) Sprinklers are already in your grass!
8) Cool birds
9) You can take long walks EVERYDAY.
10) You can wash your car anytime you want without worrying about your locks freezing.
11) No snow tires
12) No huge gas bills
13) you can swim everyday. I swam on Christmas!
14) you can see the parking lot lines
15) Shopping carts don't get stuck in snow/ice ruts
16) If you wait in line on Black Friday shopping at 5am, you don't get cold.
17) Space shuttle launches
18) Awesome flowers, all year round
19) Mickey lives close by.
20) Manatees
21) about a thousand cool license plates
22) No car inspections, no failures for a check engine light that just came on
23) You can paint all year.
24) no 48" frost lines
25) Golf cart garages
26) Motorcycles are a year round, non-seasonal thing
27) Flamingos
28) Citrus trees....picking your own oranges!
29) Geckos...or whatever the proper name is.
30) friendly neighbors
31) no need for humidifiers
32) no dry, rough skin
33) bottle brush bushes
34) cheap cruises!
35) not needing airfare to cruise
36) not having to justify owning a pool or hot tub
37) Old Time Pottery stores
38) a beach is never too far away.
39) year round grilling
40) outside hung instant water heaters
41) cheaper gas prices...here $3.33, there (2 weeks ago) $2.91
42) Your car stays the same color all year, not roadsalt gray.
43) Your garage floor does not get wet/icy chunks all over it.
44) 4 wheel drive does not entice you.
45) NO POTHOLES !
46) You don't have to ALWAYS take off your shoes/boots all winter
47) you don't need boots
48) your socks are not wool
49) you don't have a "long underwear drawer"
50) no "snow mold" on your grass every spring
51) you don't have to wait until Memorial day to plant a garden
52) no leaves to rake and burn
53) no icicles
54) your fire hydrants do not get buried under snow while a house is burning.
(sorry...job related)
55) no buying gas line anti-freeze
56) no winterizing your pool after you used it for 6 whole weeks a year.
57) no icestorms that break your trees like twigs. (more common then hurricanes)
58) no ice damming on your roof, ruining your house
59) Sunshine almost everyday.
60) you don't need a front license plate.
61) cool billboards that move and light up
62) pickleball !!
63) Lighted street signs
64) Your windshield wiper motor does not burn out due to frozen wipers.
65) You don't go to football games in a parka
66) You don't pray your next car has heated seats
67) Your trees do not break in half from ice storms
68) You do not care or even know what a "wind chill" is.....??
69) Your triple pane, insulated window seals do not fail, leaving you with foggy windows
70) Your deer are smaller...you have "cool" animals like gators..
71) You do not have to seal your driveway every 2 years
72) You don't lust for 4 wheel drive and new snow tires
73) Your wife does not bug you to clean the basement...what basement?
74) no static electricity....no getting a shock indoors when touching anything.
(made the mistake of kissing my wife the other day without grounding myself and almost blew my lips off......yup, after 28 years the spark is still there..... )
75) no needing "winter flannel bedsheets" and "summer regular ones"
76) no rocks in the ground....easy digging......
77)- the only gloves you need is a golf glove, (or year round gardening gloves)....

OK, add to it....

Frank D.
Great Post -
Here is something I don't know - does it get dark about 5:00 PM in the winter time in Florida like it does in NY?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I just had my A/C replaced in the Florida house.
To do it correctly, they usually do a "Manual J" heat loss/gain assessment, checking window size, insulation levels, etc......
Perhaps part of that assessment should be factoring hot flashes..

I know some ladies who have a club called the Red Hat club......perhaps my wife and you other good ladies may want to start a new club, the Red Face club.....you can hold your meetings in a refrigerated boxcar or a cold storage warehouse......

Seriously, I should not make light of it....for some, it is more then a nuisance, it can be downright debilitating. Hopefully, they will not last long. Up north here, it is helping my heating costs....I'm hoping they will be gone in 3 years, so it does not hurt my cooling costs in Florida....

OK, back to reasons to like Florida........ Remember to number them if you want so we can see how many reasons we get......

Frank D.
Cute, and TRUE.

Too late to edit, mine add up to 22 reasons.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default No, it gets darker later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Great Post -
Here is something I don't know - does it get dark about 5:00 PM in the winter time in Florida like it does in NY?
but even with that there is a trade off. It stays darker longer in the mornings in winter. I used to leave for work at 6:45 and it was pitch black outside. The sun didn't fully come up until around 8:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida