Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times

Advertisements

I would think a lot of wealthy folks inhabit FL because of weather and available amenities like beach front housing, excellent marinas, tax consequences including estate taxes and others. If you are wealthy and can afford as multi-location lifestyle, then you would just have to have a place in FL, maybe in different parts of the state for maximum enjoyment. Overall a poll would likely place FL as the most desirable location in the nation. The data shows it.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2015 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Off Topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
I'd say FL top 5 . I gues it depends on where you live, and how old you are. Someone from up north hating winter will say FL #1. But someone in Asheville NC or San Diego CA will probably not. So i think it depends on where the ppl are being asked. But i'd say FL in top 5.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I guess if you're trying to save your house from a lawsuit FL is a great place to call home. I don't know about the state income tax though. I guess if someone is coming from a state with a high tax rate it might make sense, but the are a lot of thing to consider. Having no state income tax is not always cheaper.
It is if you actually earn money for a living

But yeah, if you want to be a welfare queen, go look to cali where there are plenty of taxes to go around

Is California the welfare capital? | UTSanDiego.com
EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I made a lot of money just on Apple and Microsoft over the years, enough to pay for all of my undergrad college, graduate school, a few cars, a to buy a house. I did get lucky thou because some of my family helped me out with stocks and which stocks to buy.
Hilarious.

Everyone ELSE who did what you did is a filthy ponzi schemer white collar criminal.

AND, apparently your family was not like some other Florida "families" who thought cranking out kids they couldn't afford with no income or resources was a good idea.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It is if you actually earn money for a living

But yeah, if you want to be a welfare queen, go look to cali where there are plenty of taxes to go around

Is California the welfare capital? | UTSanDiego.com
EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working
Huh? Florida was less expensive for me, but not by a huge margin when you factor in property taxes and HOI. The QOL difference is worth the the extra cost for me.

And why do you always have to use such extreme examples like California? I wouldn't be surprised if this welfare queen earns more than you.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
can somebody expand on what they mean by FL QOL? Do people really place that much of a premium on weather? As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, a place with pathetic lack of economic opportunities but incredibly enviable weather qualities, I don't get the logic for placing oneself at an economic disadvantage just to have 75 deg weather. retirees I get, but 30-54 yo heads of households?...

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
can somebody expand on what they mean by FL QOL? Do people really place that much of a premium on weather? As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, a place with pathetic lack of economic opportunities but incredibly enviable weather qualities, I don't get the logic for placing oneself at an economic disadvantage just to have 75 deg weather. retirees I get, but 30-54 yo heads of households?...
If you're referring to my post I should have worded it better. I was trying to say my QOL is better in NC and I don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege. A lot of people do consider FL to have a high QOL and I think that has a lot to do with the weather. Personally, I prefer having 4 seasons and dealing with some cold over the long summers of Florida. I think a lot of it also has to do with where people are moving from.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:17 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm glad to hear that! Yeah, there are tons of ways to make money. Investing is one of the best avenues for the average person. I always cringe when I hear someone say, we need to tear down Wall Street. I know so many average Joe's that are on their way to a comfortable retirement and life because of Wall Street, myself included. It's just important for people to be real with themselves and educate themselves.

One of my friends who never invested before, opened an account when Facebook was coming out with their IPO. She was so excited and dumped all her money into it the day it went public. If anyone remembers, Facebook's stock dumped for awhile. After 2 weeks, she posted a long rant blasting Wall Street, stocks and Facebook. She continued by saying, it's impossible for the little guy to benefit from Wall Street.

I replied to her post by saying something like, if you had any clue about investing, you would have known Facebook was completely over-valued. Its P/E ratio was over 800 for crying out loud! All this is public information. You should have known you were being greedy buying this over-valued pig right when it IPO'd. In addition, you held a stock for 2 weeks and then dumped it! An investment for most people should be multiple YEARS, not days or weeks. If she would have held it as an investment, she would have more than doubled her money today. People blame their failures on the system, when it fact, they should be blaming their ignorance and greed.
She made another mistake she dumped it all in to one investment, one has to diversify their portfolio not dump all their eggs in to one basket.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM

734 posts, read 920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Better weather, a metric ton less stress, less traffic, much nicer people, much more affordable real estate, just as good outdoor activities and opportunities to stay fit, no economic "disadvantage" for myself or my wife, as I am gainfully employed and make a bit more than I made in DC, the wife makes a lot more. I'm sure I can come up with others but that's just off the top of my head.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:48 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
If you're referring to my post I should have worded it better. I was trying to say my QOL is better in NC and I don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege. A lot of people do consider FL to have a high QOL and I think that has a lot to do with the weather. Personally, I prefer having 4 seasons and dealing with some cold over the long summers of Florida. I think a lot of it also has to do with where people are moving from.

very good points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida