Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

Advertisements

Guys, get back on topic or the thread will be closed.
Yac.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 AM

151 posts, read 599,405 times
You are so right , us floridians could not afford to stay here if we sold our homes. I'm a working class single woman who has managed to hold onto her 1970's 3 br home purchased in the early 90's which is now worth a bundle!! Lots of our friends are moving to S.C., Ga. and even Tn. I'm fortunatley in a good neighborhood and close to everything so I'm staying unless a hurricane changes that.
There are bad neighbors everywhere, as you said check the neighborhood out day/night and especially weekends. Also I also recommend renting until you know where it is you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 PM

184 posts, read 863,217 times
Maybe I misunderstood because I'm still kind of new to message boards so bear with me, but when the thread topic is asking about any safe places in Florida and the conversation is about gators, spiders and snakes I think of that as on topic. There are lots of safety factors and it seems all have been covered in this long running thread but I don't see where anyone was off topic (other than when we laughed about the Sopranos comment ) Yac, is this what you were referring to? If i've misunderstood, I apologize in advance.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Question- if anywhere safe in Florida?

Answer, yes. Most of the panhandle is safe. For metropolitan areas, most of Lee, Seminole,a lot of Broward County, and south and north Palm Beach County are safe. The majority of the coastline on the Atlantic side between Martin and St.Johns county is safe, as are most of the counties on the gulf side. Some Florida cities are even among the safest in the U.S. Coral Springs (Broward County) is the 10th safest city in the United States, and Port Saint Lucie(St. Lucie County) has been on the 25 safest list for years. Weston (Broward County) and Lake Mary( Seminole County) are also notable for being very safe (they were not ranked by Morgan Quitno, but more likely than not, Weston and Lake Mary would be on the 10 safest list, if City-data Crime stats means anything). Plenty of Florida is safe. There are an above average amount of unsafe areas, but still, the majority of the state is not exactly dangerous. This thread was started in 2006,anyway...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-21-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-27-2007, 02:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Question Boy, 7, Writes President For Help With Crime

WOW... is that bad

The U.S. Congress is considering a new law that would put more cops on the street.

The House passed the bill Thursday.

Orlando-area representative Ric Keller said the money would give $100 million toward 50,000 new officers nationwide.

Keller said 325 would work in the Orlando area.

But President George W. Bush said he will veto the bill, and that is putting an Orlando 7-year-old boy in the spotlight.

The boy wrote a letter to Bush to ask him to reconsider after his aunt was robbed and shot in the neck last month outside an Orlando Burger King.

Keller read portions of the letter on the house floor:

"Dear Mr. President,

"I am very afraid for my family. Every day bad people rob and kill good people. ... Can you make the bad people in Orlando be good? ... I am afraid to go outside and play. I don't want some one to kill my little brother or me or my grandma," the boy wrote.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
orlando in the spot light... not good. what happened? orlando used to be a pretty nice place to live. although i do live here, and in a good area, i couldnt say that i would recommend anyone moving here though... sad.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
WOW... is that bad

The U.S. Congress is considering a new law that would put more cops on the street.

The House passed the bill Thursday.

Orlando-area representative Ric Keller said the money would give $100 million toward 50,000 new officers nationwide.

Keller said 325 would work in the Orlando area.

But President George W. Bush said he will veto the bill, and that is putting an Orlando 7-year-old boy in the spotlight.

The boy wrote a letter to Bush to ask him to reconsider after his aunt was robbed and shot in the neck last month outside an Orlando Burger King.

Keller read portions of the letter on the house floor:

"Dear Mr. President,

"I am very afraid for my family. Every day bad people rob and kill good people. ... Can you make the bad people in Orlando be good? ... I am afraid to go outside and play. I don't want some one to kill my little brother or me or my grandma," the boy wrote.
Lets see, 100,000,000 divided by 50,000. Thats like 2000 per cop. What do they plan on doing with this money? First they will have to set up committees, then pay cronies to do who knows how many studies to identify the problem and pin it down as to where the money is to be spent. That should cost a small fortune.

Then they will fight over the results with everybody pandering to their own special interests groups. Then some more studies of the studies and when they are done if there is any money left they will work on how to spend that also while pretending they are doing something. Yea, great idea.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 PM

What about each one of us taking control of our community and making a positive input. Is easy to place blame in the system, but we individually don't do &^%$. If you want results be involve and you can bring safety and serenity to your community. Again meet the road and do something, just don't bash the system....

Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What about each one of us taking control of our community and making a positive input. Is easy to place blame in the system, but we individually don't do &^%$. If you want results be involve and you can bring safety and serenity to your community. Again meet the road and do something, just don't bash the system....
In my community, as neighbors, we all look out for each other. We keep it from penetrating our neighborhood. The problem with most of Florida is that so many areas are too damn transient, and nobody is really sticking around long enough to really care about their neighborhood anyway(AKA no sense of community). I totally agree with you, however.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
In my community, as neighbors, we all look out for each other. We keep it from penetrating our neighborhood. The problem with most of Florida is that so many areas are too damn transient, and nobody is really sticking around long enough to really care about their neighborhood anyway(AKA no sense of community). I totally agree with you, however.
At times we must be involve outside our area and help others or the system. We are only going to get back what we put in....

The more we do the more we get....

Community Programs
Florida Department of Transportation (http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/SRTS_files/SRTS.htm - broken link)
Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Education Program
Florida Governor Charlie Crist | Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Program (SDFSC) (http://www.flgov.com/safe_program - broken link)
Safe Communities: Current Projects (broken link)
Florida Department of Transportation (broken link)
http://www.fldoe.org/besss/pdf/statereport2003_2004.pdf
Housing Resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida