Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM

672 posts, read 905,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
Staying on the same topic, but one specific area. Colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, etc. When the weather changes in the northeast right after school starts, it seems like everyone I know will wind up with one of these sometime between say October and April. How does this compare to Florida? Is there also a season with illnesses?
I didn't get sick in NY and I am not here sick here. I have worked in schools, day hab centers, and group homes. If I didn't catch anything working in these places, the state I happen to live in isn't going to make any difference at all.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:43 PM

548 posts, read 540,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
Staying on the same topic, but one specific area. Colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, etc. When the weather changes in the northeast right after school starts, it seems like everyone I know will wind up with one of these sometime between say October and April. How does this compare to Florida? Is there also a season with illnesses?
You are correct, people are sick much more frequently up north. A study addressing this was published in the October 17, 2007 Journal of Pathogens. Researchers determined that the microbes that cause common illnesses reproduce much better and survive longer when the humidity is 20% or below and the temps are 40% or below. Of course this coincides with fall and winter up north. The mucus response was lower in cold, dry weather, which also makes it harder to shed germs.

They determined that doctors in the colder states reported 3 times the numbers of colds, flus, and similar illnesses to the CDC during the winter months than doctors in Florida. Florida doctors noted that there was an upsurge in reported illnesses that coincided to increased visits to the north around Thanksgiving and Christmas. So the science backs up what many suspected all along, cold weather leads to more colds and flus and related illnesses.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM

Default My kids weren't sick either

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
You are correct, people are sick much more frequently up north. A study addressing this was published in the October 17, 2007 Journal of Pathogens. Researchers determined that the microbes that cause common illnesses reproduce much better and survive longer when the humidity is 20% or below and the temps are 40% or below. Of course this coincides with fall and winter up north. The mucus response was lower in cold, dry weather, which also makes it harder to shed germs.

They determined that doctors in the colder states reported 3 times the numbers of colds, flus, and similar illnesses to the CDC during the winter months than doctors in Florida. Florida doctors noted that there was an upsurge in reported illnesses that coincided to increased visits to the north around Thanksgiving and Christmas. So the science backs up what many suspected all along, cold weather leads to more colds and flus and related illnesses.
and one was in the cold ice rinks all the time. We must be just freaks I guess.

Sorry, I forgot. Florida is HEAVEN on Earth. Yeah, right.

Last edited by HockeyMom72; 01-19-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
that's actually when you're mind frame starts to change even though it's still cold out.that's when you start wearing short sleeves even though you should be still wearing a jacket.but you can feel it coming and that is a nice feeling.
Definitely true. Spring fever is a really nice feeling. I get a lot more motivated to get up early in the morning and start the day when it starts to get warmer.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM

Default No spring fever in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Definitely true. Spring fever is a really nice feeling. I get a lot more motivated to get up early in the morning and start the day when it starts to get warmer.

No spring. Just "blissful" summer all year.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,792 times
Hockeymom...why are you here? You are nothing but a troll who spews hate on every post. I hate the cold and snow of Maine but I can find beauty here too. I still can't wait to leave this state but not everything is 100% bad all the time like you make Florida out to be. From the little I know about you I don't think you will ever be a happy person no matter where you live.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Hockeymom...why are you here? You are nothing but a troll who spews hate on every post. I hate the cold and snow of Maine but I can find beauty here too. I still can't wait to leave this state but not everything is 100% bad all the time like you make Florida out to be. From the little I know about you I don't think you will ever be a happy person no matter where you live.
Is calling someone a troll really appropriate? I mean, who does that, regardless of what you think of someone?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Is calling someone a troll really appropriate? I mean, who does that, regardless of what you think of someone?
In this case it's the truth. I challenge anyone on this forum to find one positive post this person has made. The first thing you have to do is define what a troll is. This definition from Wikipedia is pretty good...

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

I would say this sums up the person I said this about pretty well. Now I don't mind people saying negative things about Florida. I fully realize Florida, like any other state has its share of problems. But to constantly say all neagative things about Florida or any other state is completely inappropriate. That's my opinion anyway and i'm sticking to it.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,585 times
Quote:
I agree.. there will always be something wrong somewhere. It reminds me of those Northerners who come down and say, well we did it this way in NY so thats how it should be done everywhere. Nope sorry , your in my state now.. don't like it.. go back

Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 AM

Default I will give you one postive thing

Quote:
In this case it's the truth. I challenge anyone on this forum to find one positive post this person has made. The first thing you have to do is define what a troll is. This definition from Wikipedia is pretty good...

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

I would say this sums up the person I said this about pretty well. Now I don't mind people saying negative things about Florida. I fully realize Florida, like any other state has its share of problems. But to constantly say all neagative things about Florida or any other state is completely inappropriate. That's my opinion anyway and i'm sticking to it.
I make more money in Florida than I did up North. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida