Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
What about family? I rarely, if ever, see anyone mentioning wanting to relocate b/c of family or mentioning it at all. It's always weather related.

Maybe since I have children now I see life much different & value family much more.

Nothing compares to seeing my sons with their grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins on a regular basis instead of once a year. No more long distance phone calls on holidays & bdays. Sunday dinners with family members. Just having everyone within reasonable driving distance instead of 26 hour car rides or $300 airplane tickets per person.

Our relocation was based on family, job quality & education. Maybe if our family were in FL or even wanted to visit (it was either too expensive to fly; couldn't fly b/c of work; or too hot to enjoy a visit) maybe I'd see SWFL differently.

Regardless, I wanted to be near family. Didn't matter the state or weather or if it was snowing or 100 degrees out.
I agree with that completely. Our family is all north and it sucks!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
It was a play on words from a previoius post, pg. 7

'imo it doesn't really take a rocket scientist '

I only said that because PP made the comment above saying that living in Florida was better because of the weather.

The words were not mine originally. I was not trying to be rude, only humorous.
then i'm sorry i apologize.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
can we discuss some pros and cons for both areas as i am planning to move with my family in the coming months from the northeast.
It is important to remember what you asked for....

Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
7 Winter Travel Hotspots - MSN Travel - Slide Show

Here ya go

Save your money & take your kids to Australia.

Absolutely amazing country.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 AM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I have never seen a place that gets sick as often as this area (Broward area). Ever. That's not exclusive to up north, and to an extent I actually find that to be worse down here. I'm glad I work from home now (Why I'm here now), at the office, it would sweep through the office literally every two weeks, year round...and I see people sick here all the time. I wondered how I could even stand to be some of these people, sick so much. While I agree with the big picture, I just had to challenge that. What part of FL are you in?
The science does not back you up. As a microbiologist by training, no longer practicing, I still keep up on the latest.

In the October 19th 2007 issue of the Journal of Pathogens, a detailed study was outlined proving that the cold and flus do much better in cold, dry weather. The microbes do best at 20 percent humidity and temperatures around 41 degrees. The mucus response is also less in cold, dry weather which also contributes. Doctors in the colder states report three times the incidence of illness than in the warmer states.

I can not speak to your personal experience. I do know that none of the 5 members of our family has had a cold or flu in the 7 years we have lived in Florida. (Jupiter and Parkland). When we lived up north, we averaged 3 illnesses per calender year per person.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
The science does not back you up. As a microbiologist by training, no longer practicing, I still keep up on the latest.

In the October 19th 2007 issue of the Journal of Pathogens, a detailed study was outlined proving that the cold and flus do much better in cold, dry weather. The microbes do best at 20 percent humidity and temperatures around 41 degrees. The mucus response is also less in cold, dry weather which also contributes. Doctors in the colder states report three times the incodence of illness than in the warmer states.

I can not speak to your personal experience. I do know that none of the 5 members of our family has had a cold or flu in the 7 years we have lived in Florida. (Jupiter and Parkland). When we lived up north, we averaged 3 illnesses per calender year per person.
Very strange. I know microbes do best in cool and dry environments, but I'm actually sick right now...last time I was sick was a couple of months ago. Maybe we have a reservoir that lives somewhere around here? Lol. Ok, now that I got that answered, any other posts I make are going to be on topic.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Quote:
Very strange. I know microbes do best in cool and dry environments, but I'm actually sick right now...last time I was sick was a couple of months ago. Maybe we have a reservoir that lives somewhere around here? Lol. Ok, now that I got that answered, any other posts I make are going to be on topic.
Compelled....your post is very interesting to me. There are hotspots of illnesses of all sorts, from the simple colds to the severe cancers. Usually these can be explained through environmental factors, chemicals, landfills, working or living in a building with mold issues, etc.

Anyway, hope you get better soon!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Compelled....your post is very interesting to me. There are hotspots of illnesses of all sorts, from the simple colds to the severe cancers.
Check out the fourth page. Very interesting. Oddly enough it looks like my corner of the county is less sick than other areas last year...Central-Southwest Broward seems to in mostly in the clear here.

http://www.browardchd.org/Services/CommunicableDiseases/_docs/BrowardFlu%20Season2006-07.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
then i'm sorry i apologize.
No worries! Trust me, I can be rude with the best of them and not even know it sometimes so I probably deserved it, if not for this post, then for another one! Ahhhh, the good and bad of me!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I will say, although I do not like Florida, I have not had a cold since we moved here in July 2006 and I would always get at least two colds a year, but I always thought that was because I worked with dirty germy teenagers!
Now, my husband, who nevers gets sick has had two 'stay home from work because he is so bad off' colds in the past year.

Who knows!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida