Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times

Advertisements

Jobs then housing. In that order. ALWAYS.

I agree with the others that budget won't get you anything decent. Forget about living near the beach.

Jobs are in the metro areas and with that comes traffic. Can't have it both ways. On the plus side most suburban areas will have amenities close by.

Florida is a nice place. Millions of people live here. The key is realistic expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 AM

12 posts, read 16,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No one here is proud of anything here in FL because the place is full of transplants
I guess I'm not really sure why you and another person cited transplants as being a problem. In my mind, if someone is willing to uproot their life to come to a place, why would that be a bad thing? Clearly that means they see value in it. I would think that some of the people who just happen to be born and raised in a place, meaning they didn't choose it, would be some of the ones who take it for granted.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There is probably no place in Florida that has no crime and no occasional pot smoker.
LOL an "occasional pot smoker" is the very least of my worries. I'm talking about real drug addicts to hard drugs, not pot. Last thing I want is to move somewhere only to find out there are crack heads roaming nearby.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you went to Daytona, St. Augustine, Ft.Lauderdale area , Orlando and the Keys what were your impressions?
IMO St Augustine would be your best bet..
Well, yes, out of those, I probably could see myself enjoying St. Augustine the best because it did seem very laid back and small-town vibe-ish. But in reading others' comments, it seems that St. Augustine is not really a great place for the working person since it's so small?

Daytona I unfortunately do not remember much of, save for the beach, but what I do remember what feeling that part of what we drove through seemed a little run-down? I'm not sure what part we came through. Don't think I really have much of a fair assessment to pull from.

Ft. Lauderdale to me seemed sketchy both times I've been there. Been in the Hollywood area as well and felt kind of unsafe. To me it was similar to some of the questionable areas in Downtown Cleveland. Not to say Ft. Lauderdale wasn't pretty, because it was, but I don't see myself living there at all.

The Keys are fabulous, no doubt, but again as a working person, I don't see it as a possibility. I liked Key West the best, but wouldn't live there. The other Keys are beautiful too, but so limited in terms of what's available and around for amenities. Probably a great place to retire to, but as a 28-year-old, I know it's not logical.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Biggest issue is the type of work you both will need. FL towns can have totally different types of jobs. Can you give us a clue about the work you will be looking for? The "jobs" thing might exclude many areas of FL for you.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Duniden, Florida. Everything but traffic.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong51911 View Post
I guess I'm not really sure why you and another person cited transplants as being a problem. In my mind, if someone is willing to uproot their life to come to a place, why would that be a bad thing? Clearly that means they see value in it. I would think that some of the people who just happen to be born and raised in a place, meaning they didn't choose it, would be some of the ones who take it for granted.
Like you said "in your mind" Reality is different. You have a bunch of people who come from different cultures who sometimes don't have much in common. Some don't even stay the whole year here. Others are unhappy here and will tell you how things are better up North. The only thing that keeps some order is HOA.
People are proud to pay their fees.

But many that's how it is everywhere. I heard things have changed up North where the grass used to be greener and those beautiful towns where all neighbors knew and helped each other are a thing of the past.

Reality is that if you want to live comfortable, it's gonna take money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo

Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Get jobs first.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,815 times
I can get a feeling of how bad this past winter has been by the number of "Moving to Florida soon" threads that have been started by people from Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Upstate New York and the the Boston area.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Yup, jobs first. There is a lot of competition for jobs here. Rental market in any nice area/town is very tight right now. Everyone and their brothers and cousins want to move here now.

You didn't mention visiting the Gulf Coast - might give St. Pete a look. Again, depends on what type work you do and job availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida