Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,144 times

Advertisements

OP - in a previous post you indicated warm weather is important to you. Looking at FL and TX seems to support that idea. The reality is that the warm areas with good economies are also going to attract a significant number of transient or vagrant people since there is a higher comfort level combined with opportunities for panhandling or petty theft to support them. It will come with the territory.

Rate your priorities for us please:
Income potential; rent cost; warm climate; beaches; walkability; food choices;entertainment and culture; outdoor activities

What field do you work in again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I hope the OP never makes it Florida.

She insults an entire city and calls it a mess and catastrophe, yet she's from Cleveland, Ohio. Look who's talkin, hunni... That place is a true mess. Not to mention Miami is Florida's largest both in population and economy. Without Miami... Florida would not be what it is today.

I hope the mistake-on-the-lake suits you well for many years to come, op.... with ur cliches of FL and having a "beach vibe"...how basic.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I hope the OP never makes it Florida.

She insults an entire city and calls it a mess and catastrophe, yet she's from Cleveland, Ohio. Look who's talkin, hunni... That place is a true mess. Not to mention Miami is Florida's largest both in population and economy. Without Miami... Florida would not be what it is today.

I hope the mistake-on-the-lake suits you well for many years to come, op.... with ur cliches of FL and having a "beach vibe"...how basic.
Kind of have to agree with this ^^^. And I'll go one step further to say I hope quite a few never make it here - I'm talking about those that start their threads with similar negative comments (like this OP) and then it's up to us to convince them how great it is. It's bad enough we have those with stars in their eyes and think it will be perfect here. If they ALREADY have preconceived negative ideas about it here, then they best stay put. They will be glad they did.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 16,210 times
To the last two people who responded with nasty comments, you should really re-read my original post and take a second to see that what I really said (not what you thought I said) is that I read so much negative stuff about Florida. And that is coming FROM THIS VERY WEBSITE. Posted by Floridians such as yourself about the crime and decline. And also in my post I said that I am trying to seek out actual truth behind it because I refuse to give up on it. Some of you should honestly be ashamed of yourselves for how nasty you're being to people who come on here seeking help. Why in the world would I be trying to seek out the good of Florida if I had preconceived negatives about it. For the love. Miami is crazy, I've been there, and being there once was enough and what I experienced was enough for me. No preconceived notion, just my own personal first hand experience. Not my cup of tea. Me not liking Miami does not in any way equate to me insulting a whole state. It wasn't a personal attack on anyone, but what you're doing is an attack. Uncalled for. I feel sad for anyone who gets kicks being mean to a stranger for no reason.

Last edited by WhereIBelong51911; 04-06-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong51911 View Post
To the last two people who responded with nasty comments, you should really re-read my original post and take a second to see that what I really said (not what you thought I said) is that I read so much negative stuff about Florida. And that is coming FROM THIS VERY WEBSITE. Posted by Floridians such as yourself about the crime and decline. And also in my post I said that I am trying to seek out actual truth behind it because I refuse to give up on it. Some of you should honestly be ashamed of yourselves for how nasty you're being to people who come on here seeking help. Why in the world would I be trying to seek out the good of Florida if I had preconceived negatives about it. For the love. Miami is crazy, I've been there, and being there once was enough and what I experienced was enough for me. No preconceived notion, just my own personal first hand experience. Not my cup of tea. Me not liking Miami does not in any way equate to me insulting a whole state. It wasn't a personal attack on anyone, but what you're doing is an attack. Uncalled for. I feel sad for anyone who gets kicks being mean to a stranger for no reason.
Just a tip - if you don't want negativity, don't start your threads with negativity. I stand by what I posted, and there was nothing mean or attacking about it. In fact, I mostly get accused of being a "cheerleader for Florida" on these forums, of which I have been a member for 7 years now.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 16,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Just a tip - if you don't want negativity, don't start your threads with negativity. I stand by what I posted, and there was nothing mean or attacking about it. In fact, I mostly get accused of being a "cheerleader for Florida" on these forums, of which I have been a member for 7 years now.
So wait a minute, if we come on here NOT asking people for their advice about the potential negatives, THEN we're "starry eyed" or whatever the other person called other Florida-seekers. So apparently we can't win. If we ask about the negatives that Florida residents themselves have brought up in posts, then we're too negative. So we're either negative or starry eyed. If you're a Florida cheerleader, please, by all means be one. That's what I was looking for from the start. I wanted people to confirm one way or the other whether all the negativity is actually true or not. And I had hoped that the negative stuff was not true or being largely exaggerated. I really don't understand what your problem is with me, but this is a complete waste of both of our time arguing semantics.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM

230 posts, read 343,194 times
Raised in FL since the age of 5 (PBC) until 2 years ago when we moved. We left for wife's job and better employment market in Iowa. After we establish ourselves further we will be back maybe I miss it.

I reccomend putting yourself in a position where you don't have to stress about affording it. Dade, broward, and PBC counties are home to more than 5 million ppl. Amazing bang for your buck and amenities but you are never more than minutes from the ghetto unless you are way out west in boca, Weston, or Wellington maybe.

If you don't want crowded than you might not be able to check all that off your list. Orlando is ok, but is a different world compared to SFL.

There is a big drug problem, but you have accept that to live here MIA was built on cocaine and FL is the pill mill of the 1st world, so drugs are very easy to obtain. Just the way it is.

Make money where you are now and put yourself in a position to get a better job in FL. DO NOT settle you will regret it. FL is a place where it is painfully obvious what economic class you are a part of take it from someone who was upper middle class and then poor. This is because it is pretty unsegregated here a guy making well over six figures might be blocks away from someone that makes 35k. Also it is probably one of the best places on planet earth to be well off. Any desire can be fulfilled, any interest can be pursued. Literally nothing is out of reach of you can pay for it. You know what comes with the next tax bracket and it will motivate you, you won't care, or you will one of millions of haters in FL that despise the rich ppl that made FL what it is.

Look at TX also. Better economy and a Midwesterner would be more comfortable there maybe. You will be dealing mostly east coast transplants in FL. If you can't get along with New Yorkers, southerners, or immigrants from The Caribbean don't bother.

Oh and don't talk about MIA unless you actually go there you drove through it. Especially coming from grimy rust belt Cleveland.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 04-09-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Well OP, I have to say you didn't research ANYTHING if you say you don't know if $800 per month exists in FL. There are a ton of property sites to search - even apartments.

THIS site City Data gives all the information you could start with; NOT just reading comments on FORUMS. Did you use any of it?

ie:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...e-Florida.html

This information is easily available all over the internet even if you live in China.

The census for example:

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Florida only has 18% people over 65 and 20% under 18 so the drama about age is unnecessary. Besides, EVERYONE I know who rents who is over 30 (let alone 50) with TWO INCOMES (!) can afford WAY more than $800 per month so you'd be LUCKY to live with more affluent people.

In fact, EVERYTHING on your wish list is public information. Hello Google maps? Google itself?

Grocery stores? Are you kidding me?

Let me google that for you

I don't think you're really ready to move ANYWHERE. That list is, as someone else said very basic.

Apparently you don't make the connect that school systems ARE very important to a community because your communities with GOOD ratings on schools will have good community members who care about their families and being achievers.

And the drama about Miami being a catastrophe is ridiculous. So you "drove through" one time and grateful you came out alive? Gurl, please.

There are some GORGEOUS places to live in Miami and fun and vibrant. You can't afford them, though.

Florida is about to be the THIRD most populated state in the country so do you really think it's all the undesirables and drug dealers from all the other states?

God help us if Cleveland comes HERE:

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...land-Ohio.html

Your crime rate is MUCH higher than Miami. Just for starters.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Miami-Florida.html

Cleveland should BE so lucky as to be comparable to Miami. And the per capita income is $4000 MORE in Miami, and it's not "cheap" to live there by any means. Especially with no skills.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...le5414133.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor....html?page=all

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-09-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong51911 View Post
Hi all,

To be honest, we're not overly particular about which part of Fl this could be, as long as the surrounding areas aren't a catastrophe (like Miami). *shivers*

Through the course of several vacations, we've been to Daytona, St. Augustine, Ft.Lauderdale area, Orlando, and through the Keys. (Which meant driving through Miami - still thankful I came out of *that* mess alive...). I know this sounds so stupid, but I love the beach vibe - I love being somewhere and knowing it's a beach town. But not the "New England coastal" vibe. That sounds so cheesy even writing it. Sigh.
First of all, no one is attacking you.
The above quote is directly from your original post. You say Miami is a catastrophe and a "mess" that apparently causes you to "shiver".... read ur own font.

Don't insult where people live and maybe u wont get such a negative reaction. You get what u put out there. Your post about Miami was negative and condescending..... You came out of that mess alive? As if your very life was at stake simply driving through it. lol.

Not sorry for what I said. Just calling out your own negativity. Anyway, hope it's a lovely day in Cleveland.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
BTW, Cleveland has a 14.9% population >25 yo with Bachelor's degree or higher. 25% in Ohio overall.

Cleveland (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Miami? 23% with 26% overall in Florida.

And Cleveland has 5% more people living under the poverty line than Miami. Then again there are TONS of people working off the books in Miami, I can't say about Cleveland.

Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida