Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 77,060 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family will be moving to Florida this summer. Our priorities are low crime, good schools, diverse community, friendly neighborhoods and access to big city anemities. We will start out renting a house in order to allow flexibility in finding the "right place" for us. We have a 10 year and 4 year old. My husband loves to boat and fish. I enjoy shopping, art appreciation and good (not necessarily expensive) dining.
Most of our family lives in either California, the midwest or East Coast, so having an attactive place for our family to visit is very important. I have a cousin in Boynton Beach, FL and step son in Ft. Lauderdale. I wonder if those cities are close enough for us to visit with them ocassionally. Coming from the midwest where we face below zero temperatures this time of the year (it will be an impressive 7 degrees this weekend) we want to definitely take advantage of the tropical climate and are looking forward to the heat and humitity everyone has warned us to expect. I am aware of the "Best Places to Live" designation and low crime rate in Lake Mary. We will be in the area house shopping in May and June. Any advise on residental areas to scout? Are we on the right path in considering Lake Mary?

Last edited by love1812; 01-17-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: misspellings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:14 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,397 times
Here is my input based on what you mentioned. The Mount Dora/Eustis area of Lake County sound perfect for you. It is 45 minutes from Disney and easy access to the western beltway of Orlando making it easy to get to the Florida turnpike to head south to Ft. Lauderdale. Lake county is named for all the lakes in the area and fishing and boating are popular in this county. The schools are decent, my child did well at Eustis Middle and Eustis High, and there is plenty of rentals available due to the slowdown of real estate. Mt. Dora has a large art festival every spring and other cultural activities. It is a little less urban here than Orlando, yet about 45 minutes from downtown Orlando.
You did not mention work. Wages are not great here for skilled and unskilled employees.
It may not be what you are used to. A lot of people in eastern Lake County commute into Orlando where the wages aren't great, but better than Lake County.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM

43 posts, read 162,443 times
We are considering a similar move from NY, but haven't committed to anything yet (and considering the same region of FL, like Lake Mary, Winter Springs etc.). My wifes sister lives in Oveido, about 15/20 minutes east of Lake Mary, and she's been scouting the area for us.........also, our kids are 10 and 3 1/2, and it's gonna be about 12 degrees here by us this weekend, LOL.

Out of curiousity:

What's prompted your move? What price range are you considering for a home? Do you have a job/business to go to, or are you "winging it"? Are you leaving a very nice area with very good schools? Are you leaving a secure/lucrative job/business?

Just trying to gain some perspective.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Thank you for responding. To answer a few of your questions, we currently live in East Chicago, Indiana (yes, just East of Chicago, IL). Our city is very small and is part of a sisterhood of cities such as Hammond and Gary, which are both less than 10 minutes in any direction. These cities were thriving during the big steel mill eras. Inland Steel was located in East Chicago. Anyway, since the mills have closed or slowed, there was a huge urban flight southward, business starting moving out and so did decent people. There is a lot of crime and gloom and doom. To be honest, it is a very depressing area and we are desperate to move our family away from here. I was born and raised in this area and returned after completing my education. My husband and his family are also from here.

I will be leaving a very secure and well paying job. I do not have employment lined up in Florida. My husband has a pension and disability so we aren't too concerned by the fact that I won't have a job right away. My professional training is such that I could possibly find something within 6 months to a year if I look hard and pray long. We are looking to rent something going for about 1,000-1,200 per month. Surprisingly, we seen a special on CNN today (1/29) about the housing market in Florida being very bad. Therefore, we definitely want to start off renting.

Our children are 4 and 10. The schools are a little below average but our children are doing exceedingly well. Thus another reason for the move, to provide a challenging and good educational experience.

I hope we don't seem to whimpsical but we are very committed to this move given the fact that we have never been to Lake Mary. I have visited Orlando and Boynton Beach but my husband has never been to Florida. I've done a little research and the climate, low crime rate, schools and paradise-like environment would be the needed change we so desperately want and need.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Thank you so much for your input and for giving me another perspective to consider. I will definitely check into the Lake County area. Ironically enough, the county where we currently reside in Indiana is "Lake County". Perhaps its a sign (LOL).

Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Cool Balancing priorities

I am surprised that you are so willing to leave a solid, well-paying job in today's shaky economy to a complete unknown. In essence, you will be uprooting your family and quitting your job to live (minimally six months by your own admission) upon your spouse's pension and disability payments. My two cents take on that would be that your priorities appear misdirected. You are not moving to Florida for the job, and then, the weather. You are moving to Florida for the weather with the hopes of finding a job to support your family. That is a substantially high risk move.... Can you afford to live in Florida for a possibly long period of time upon strictly your spouse's income?

Have you the opportunity to take an extended leave of absence from your job? If so, you could afford yourself a better opportunity to explore the Florida job market, the schools, the area's cost of living, and the areas that most appeal to your family. I wonder how many Floridians would jump at the chance to have your well paying job in exchange for leaving the sunshine? Please re-examine your priorities, get a job, and then move to the climate of your dreams. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Your candor and practical thinking is refreshing and brash (but that is necessary sometimes). I guess I should be a bit more indepth for you to not think I am a selfish, unrealistic person. My husband and I have discussed this and he is more than willing to allow me a well deserved break from being the primary bread winner for 6 months to 1 year. Also what I did not elaborate on is the fact that my current employer will allow me to draw on unemployment as long as I need it or until it is exhaused (an agreement and historical practice of my current employer). Finally, just because I don't have a job now and may not want one immediately, does not mean I won't get one when and if the time comes. I have been in the career I am in for a long while and I am at the point in my life where I am ready to pursue my dreams and not just have a job. I am sure you heard the old saying that, "all that glitters aint gold". Well, having a good paying job is nice but it would help if you liked your job. I don't like my job, the company I work for, or the people I work with. I used to believe in their vision and mission but have discovered it was all a facade. There comes a time in one's life where they have to go for it, it being my dreams. I/ my family wants to live in another region in the US. My kids are ready to move. My husband and daughter have health issues that are only exasperated by the extreme winters here in the midwest. Finally, sometimes you can plan your way right out of a once in a life time, life changing opportunity. We have wrestled with the idea long enough. Sometimes you have to have faith. Believe me, this is not a rash, flip the coin decision. However, your practicality is greatly appreciated. I like the idea of an extended leave and that is pretty much what our visit in May is about. Thank you again and please, I welcome your input because it is thought provoking and necessary.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love1812 View Post
Your candor and practical thinking is refreshing and brash (but that is necessary sometimes). I guess I should be a bit more indepth for you to not think I am a selfish, unrealistic person. My husband and I have discussed this and he is more than willing to allow me a well deserved break from being the primary bread winner for 6 months to 1 year. Also what I did not elaborate on is the fact that my current employer will allow me to draw on unemployment as long as I need it or until it is exhaused (an agreement and historical practice of my current employer). Finally, just because I don't have a job now and may not want one immediately, does not mean I won't get one when and if the time comes. I have been in the career I am in for a long while and I am at the point in my life where I am ready to pursue my dreams and not just have a job. I am sure you heard the old saying that, "all that glitters aint gold". Well, having a good paying job is nice but it would help if you liked your job. I don't like my job, the company I work for, or the people I work with. I used to believe in their vision and mission but have discovered it was all a facade. There comes a time in one's life where they have to go for it, it being my dreams. I/ my family wants to live in another region in the US. My kids are ready to move. My husband and daughter have health issues that are only exasperated by the extreme winters here in the midwest. Finally, sometimes you can plan your way right out of a once in a life time, life changing opportunity. We have wrestled with the idea long enough. Sometimes you have to have faith. Believe me, this is not a rash, flip the coin decision. However, your practicality is greatly appreciated. I like the idea of an extended leave and that is pretty much what our visit in May is about. Thank you again and please, I welcome your input because it is thought provoking and necessary.
I apologize for sounding brash, that was certainly not my intention. I do not question your motives for moving, but I do question your timing. The Florida economy is in the midst of a major market correction. The bursting of the housing bubble is having a ripple effect throughout the entire state. Foreclosures are at all time highs. Florida wages are/were typically lower than most northeastern/ rust belt states in the best of times. The questions are: Can you afford to live in your chosen sector of Florida if you personally are unable to secure a job? Can you afford to move to Florida if you must take a substantial cut in salary and/or health benefits that may never match the value that you now receive?

Only you can answer the above two questions. The risks to your financial health can be significant. When it is 7 degrees outside and suffering job burnout, the warm sun may "blind" your thought processes. Will you be able to afford the cost? If so, you have to go for it. If doubtful, you should reassess the timing and full implications of your move. The very best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida