Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times

Advertisements

Bogus----all I mentioned was that the elected officials that were voted into office by residents are the one's that allowed all of the construction and paving to go on. It really does not matter where they were born or where they were educated, the elected officials allowed all of the expansion.

I personally agree with you and others that think Florida is expanding to fast and is in fact creating a paved over state that is more interested in the almighty dollar than in preserving Florida's natural beauty. But, it is still offers more than many other states for the retiree and they will continue to come until the expansion is halted or maxed out. Neither of which is about to happen in the near future. Perhaps a few category 5 hurricanes, back to back, will slow down the progress and make some of us silly northerners rethink our move?

And it's just not Florida that the elected officials are allowing every piece of available land to be paved over, or converted into taxable space. It is happening all over and as the population continues to grow, more and more people are going to start moving around to find a better way of life. Similar to the original pioneers that moved west and displaced the Indian Tribes. I wonder how they felt???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Not sure what the end game is here. Everyone wants to move here because its "cheaper" and the weather but the first thing they do when they get here is try to make this place like somewhere they came from up north. In addition, the things that originally attracted people to retire here (the wildlife, the beaches, the open spaces, etc) are getting paved over by the minute. Whats the point if all you are going to do is make it like a northern city in a swamp?
In what way have transplants made it like up north? Ive heard that before but dont see how that is even possible. One of the reasons we came over to Hernando County is we have protected lands around us, except to the south.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Bogus----all I mentioned was that the elected officials that were voted into office by residents are the one's that allowed all of the construction and paving to go on. It really does not matter where they were born or where they were educated, the elected officials allowed all of the expansion.

I personally agree with you and others that think Florida is expanding to fast and is in fact creating a paved over state that is more interested in the almighty dollar than in preserving Florida's natural beauty. But, it is still offers more than many other states for the retiree and they will continue to come until the expansion is halted or maxed out. Neither of which is about to happen in the near future. Perhaps a few category 5 hurricanes, back to back, will slow down the progress and make some of us silly northerners rethink our move?

And it's just not Florida that the elected officials are allowing every piece of available land to be paved over, or converted into taxable space. It is happening all over and as the population continues to grow, more and more people are going to start moving around to find a better way of life. Similar to the original pioneers that moved west and displaced the Indian Tribes. I wonder how they felt???

If you want to get away from the paving and construction stay well North of I-4 and away from large cities. There is a lot of Florida out there. The state has acquired more than 2.5 million acres since 1990, all protected land FOREVER and the trend continues. There are also many thousands of acres of land held in family "land trusts" that can never be developed.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Very simple. You don't want all these people moving here, create a state income tax. Problem solved, and then your state actually has money for schools and infrastructure and parks and other public works.
Another way to accomplish less northerners moving to Fla, in the middle of winter resist the urge to tell all those northerners what fun you had at the beach today and what wonderful sunny warm weather you are having.. also stop admonishing those that share some of Floridas negative aspects, you want less northerners relocating to Florida? stop playing up the attitude of Florida is paradise ,best move we ever made etc.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
The funniest thing is, to me, is that everyone from NY moves to FL, but in doing so, they pass right by places that are safer, more beautiful, have better scenery, and friendlier people such as the Carolina's, TN, Northern GA. But oh well. I plan to escape one day up to the Carolina's so I guess I'm happy about it lol.
We ended up in Florida because it was the first place willing to give one of us a job when we were trying to get out of Satan's Armpit, Tennessee- small town with lousy scenery, our house got broken into and trashed, and a whole heaping cupfull of Southern passive-aggressiveness and outright aggressiveness once they thought you weren't just passing through (I had people tell me to my face that my $7 an hour 'good job' there should have gone to a more deserving native instead.)

Old 07-19-2015, 10:10 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you want to get away from the paving and construction stay well North of I-4 and away from large cities. There is a lot of Florida out there. The state has acquired more than 2.5 million acres since 1990, all protected land FOREVER and the trend continues. There are also many thousands of acres of land held in family "land trusts" that can never be developed.
About 30% of Florida's land is public - this is way better than, for example, Texas with measly 4%. However, the private land in Florida (the one inland you are talking about) - ranches etc. is getting chunked up and divided and developed. That is a problem, in my opinion. People who are buying up this land are mostly from out of state. It is unavoidable.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
I don't know, but I really wish all these Puerto Rican people didn't move to Orlando. Why can't they spread out to different places?

Old 07-19-2015, 12:40 PM

191 posts, read 602,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I don't know, but I really wish all these Puerto Rican people didn't move to Orlando. Why can't they spread out to different places?

What's wrong with Puerto Ricans? I sense a breath or 2 of racism... What have they done to affect YOUR life?

Old 07-19-2015, 03:33 PM

61 posts, read 61,608 times
You people are getting way too ahead of yourselves and are exaggerating. According to the Census, only 7% of Florida residents were born in New York (it used to be greater but is continually dropping).

South Florida, by and large, is latin immigrant culture, not New York. The New Yorkers who move down there are mostly old people waiting to die, and poor/blue-collar civil servants...not sophisticated ones like Meryl Streep or the curator from the Metropolitan Museum of Arts. And mostly Long Island types, not chic Manhattanites. So why did they move there? Because it's cheap, and New York is expensive. And cold weather isn't so great for old people, I'm guessing.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:50 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Very simple. You don't want all these people moving here, create a state income tax. Problem solved, and then your state actually has money for schools and infrastructure and parks and other public works.
I agree but unfortunately that would require a single progressive thought from our "leadership" in Tallahassee....so in essence, game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida