Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
It does seem a bit odd though,people coming on here who live in Florida,just to complain about there State.It makes you wonder why they stay.
I think I can answer that one...

Most of the people that complain are either trying to get an uprise or honestly don't have enough money to pickup and move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 15,406 times
Smile I feel the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
so nice to read all these positives!!!!
my hubby and i are in our late 30s with two little girls ages 5 and 3 and we are working on the big move south too. we now live in CT and it is freezing and so boaring and expensive!!!
we are heading to the bradenton area.
my trouble is leaving my family and friends.
the more i read positive about florida and the more pics i see the easier its becoming.
my husband s job does make pretty decent money here but willing to take a pay cut for a life!!
im a hairdresser. my trouble will just be rebuilding a clientelle.
every day here i freeze, and wont go outside unless i need to. poor kids are so board in this house all the time. theres nothing to do here!!!
I have visited close friends in florida many times in the last 11 yrs and i love it. i feel like im home everytime.
im so excited to finally go home!!!
thanx for making my day!!!
Hi - When I read this I felt like I was writing it! I feel the same way!!! My husband and my 2 boys (ages 4 and 5) are moving to Stuart, hopefully right after the boys get out of school. My kids are always stuck inside all winter, with snow and alot of the spring (with rain). I want my children to play outside and have lots of fresh air!
I, too have visited alot and as soon as I would get off that airplane, something would just feel right!
If you move to the Stuart area, u can definitely do my hair, as I will be looking for a new stylist!

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,138 times
What are you from? Scottsdale, AZ
Where in Florida are you moving? Either Orlando or Tampa Bay
What attracts you to Florida? The mild weather in the winter and the beaches.
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Job boards and I lived in Tampa for 8 years
Did you spend time in that town in person? Yes
Did you communicate with people who live their personally? I have many friends in Tampa

I moved from Tampa a year and 1/2 ago believing that Arizona would afford similiar social environment and climate to Florida (minus the humidity and hurricanes). Boy was I wrong!! It is actually cold here in the winter. Not to the point of snow, but 40's and 50s in the daytime and 30s at night is cold to a Floridian! It seems to go from 100 degree weather with a month break in between and then to cold. Anyhow, I feel like I spend half the year inside either because it's so hot or because I'm pretty chilled in the winter.

When I moved here I missed clouds .... sounds strange but when the sky is blue all the time for days in a row it seems somewhat odd. I like partly cloudy days especially when it's over 115 degrees!!! That doesn't happen much here. Scottsdale is very beautiful in its surroundings and there are a lot of outdoor activities when its not summer. There are also a lot of very superficial people in this area and they only care about their "things" and themselves and not so much other people. So, I would have to say if you've ever lived in Florida it is very hard to find another location that offers as many benefits in a place to live. Most people that move from the midwest or nothern states to Arizona love it. I guess it's just what you have to compare.

I don't miss the bugs, aggressive drivers, lightning and traffic stopping rain, and tropical storms and hurricanes but I do miss my friends, tropical climate, endless amount of things to do, day trips, the beach, the weather, and being around the water. I can't wait to come back to FL and pray I am able to find a job so I can relocate back by June.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 14,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Please research the weather it will get over 96 in the summer, sometimes without the heat index, in Naples this past summer they had triple digits with the heat index.
Also it IS recommended you wear shoes, watershoes, sandals on the beach in the summer. Even the white sand will burn your feet, it gets extreamly scorching hot in the summer with the sand just laying in the sun to bake.. So becareful, I always wore flip flops when trying to find a spot on the beach to sit. And the atlantic is cold too lol.. Fla has the same probs as ever other state, but its a beautiful place ot live and you just gotta find your niche and figure out what works best for you The gulf water is gonna be the warmer side of things, in the summer the water can get into the 80's which is a good thing and a bad thing cause sometimes its a bit TOO warm So look around , see what suits you better

I just wanted to comment on this comment from someone who moved from Tampa to Scottsdale,AZ. Of the 9 years I lived in Tampa I remember it being over 96 degrees a handful of times compared to over 100 days straight over 105 degrees and almost 30 days over 115 this past summer. You can't even stand in the sun for very long for the fear of getting heat stroke. From someone coming from the west, I wouldn't let the thought of heat scare you.... it just doesn't compare.... at least from Tampa Bay and Northern Florida

Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Default Florida is supposed to be my "place"

I'm from Texas and have lived in the Southwest (New Mexico) and most recently in Utah (blecch). This is kind of far out there but I'll post it anyway. In 2002 a Vedic astrologer recommended that I get out of the SW and move to Florida. She said California and the Western U.S. was no good for me and that in the U.S. the best place I could live was South Florida. She even recommended it over Europe. I've been involved seriously with astrology for a long time and wanted to follow up on her suggestion but at the time didn't know what the basis was (she gave a hint in the reading that led me to figure it out but until recently I wasn't sure why Florida was "it" compared to other places from her perspective) so I never followed up on it. I chickened out. I even had the money to go. Instead I went against what she said and moved to Utah. Now, don't write me off as an idiot yet. She didn't say anything specific about the Western U.S. ("you will not find a good job" etc.) but she did say the area would be unsupportive and it IS. I have finally come to grips with the fact that I have gone from one unsupportive location--- and by unsupportive I mean unmeaningful homelife, bad work situation, feeling out of place etc.---- my whole life and may be ready for a change.

The question I have is whether I would really fit in in Florida. I was raised in Texas and have a conservative background, have worked in corporate environments, etc but am really a free spirit, in to doing my own thing, having my own beliefs, etc. I spent part of my childhood on the Texas Gulf Coast in Corpus Christi and miss the water, the peaceful relaxation and humidity. I'm unhappy in the mountains, I do not relate to the climate or people. That is certainly clear in my charts here and I'm starting to wonder how much longer I can put up with it.

I've read up on Florida only minimally because I'm not sure whether I could really make the move or not. South Florida is the area that was recommended but I could never live in Miami. I don't know about other areas, like Orlando, or even the smaller towns. I'm not sure what would be best. I might be making a trip to Miami eventually for other personal reasons and am actually pretty excited. I regret the move to Utah and wish I'd gone to Florida instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
What are you from?
Where in Florida are you moving?
What attracts you to Florida?
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location?
Did you spend time in that town in person?
Did you communicate with people who live their personally?
Just some ideas.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 03-07-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM

76 posts, read 330,264 times
What are you from? Richmond Virginia < BORING and COLD!
Where in Florida are you moving? Fort Lauderdale
What attracts you to Florida? Weather , the feeling , hot sun, beaches near by. Different types of people and better outlooks.
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Well I moved to Fort Lauderdale when I graduated and loved it and moved to Okeechobee and moved back to VA to finish my classes. Did learn the schools suck in FL but it is ok I love it for all the other reasons.
Did you spend time in that town in person? Yep
Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Yess everyday! Can't wait to move back.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
I hope all these Florida Bound people have solid decent paying jobs lined up?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 63,249 times
Default I want to move to Florida

I am married and have 3 sons. I have been wanting to move to Florida for the last 3 years. I do not do well in the winter. (Although I did buy a lamp this year) Have lived in Ohio my whole life. Have narrowed my search to North Port. I visit Sarasota because my parents have a place there.

We love Sarasota, but would not choose to settle there with kids. I am a teacher looking for a fulltime job. Not sure how difficult it would be for my husband to get a job. Would love to hook my kids up with other kids their age in the area. My husband & I just got back from a 5 day vac. and our whole family is going in July. Looking for a family friendly place but would like to avoid any "snobby" areas if there are any. Looking south of Sarasota. I do most of my research on City Data!! I like Venice, but it sounds like North Port might be more our speed. Kids like to keep busy and are social. I do want to live as close to Gulf (water) as possible, but do not need to be on the beach. I figure if I am going to Fla. might as well be at least within 20 mins. drive.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM

21 posts, read 63,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I hope all these Florida Bound people have solid decent paying jobs lined up?
I would not move unless I had a job lined up. There is a job fair coming up in my area for Sarasota County Schools. I plan on applying to both Sarasota Cty. and Charlotte County. I am in process of obtaining my Fla. teaching license.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Catrinac, do some searching on the St. Petersburg area. It sounds like that is definitely a type of place that you would love and fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida