Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 01:15 AM

289 posts, read 569,982 times

Advertisements

What are you from? Tennessee (about 25miles East of Jackson & 13miles from lexington)
Where in Florida are you moving? Daytona Beach
What attracts you to Florida? Daytona International Speedway & the Beach
What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? We stayed there last July for the race. We were there for 6 days & our hotel was right on the beach.
Did you spend time in that town in person? Sure did.
Did you communicate with people who live their personally? Nope I don't.

Just sitting there in front of the beach & the ocean I knew that that was where I belonged. I felt at home and at peace. If I could move there tomorrow I probably would (even with the snow on the roads). That's another thing I have gotta get away from is the winter. I know, I know, I know. Winter here in West Tennessee isn't winter for those who have been up north in the winter. But it's freaking cold enough for me.

I can't stand another winter here. It's 67 for 2 days & then back down to 27 for 3 days, back up to 52 for a day, down to 35 for 2 days, back up to 63 for 3 days, back down to 42 for 4 days and so on & so on. I can't hand;e it anymore. I am only 25 (26 in April) & I could live the rest of my life & never see snow again & die happy. And please don't tell me about the heat & humidity. We spent from July 2nd to July 10th in Florida & I couldn't tell you 1* difference between there & where I live. I love the heat. I worked this last summer in a truck stop resturant with 0 air conditioning & told everyone that I loved it better than winter with no heat. I had rather sweat than be cold anyday of the year.

I am hoping to be in Daytona Beach by October. We are going back in July for the race & will be again spending 5nights down there. I fully plan on exploring the town much more than we did this last time. And another thing then crime doesn't bother me. Like I said I grew up 25 miles east of Jackson. I have seen Jackson at both 3am & 3pm & everything in between, both ways. Jackson was rated 10th in the nation in homicide & 13th in overall violent crime. It's population is only about 3,000 less than Daytona. I am totally prepared for that.

Ok well. This post has turned out way longer that I orginally intended. But that's my story. And even though I have not move to Florida yet, I know what to expect & am looking foward to it. Hope to see you guys soo in FL. Save me a spot on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 AM

21 posts, read 63,235 times
Would be interested in communicating with people who live in North Port area or work in schools and/or have children & live in North Port.
No weirdos, please

Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM

21 posts, read 63,235 times
I would love to relocate to Florida. Do not really care for snow/cold/winter or weather in general here; I only really like Autumn & Spring. I am from Ohio and have lived here all my life. I am considering North Port, and after much research, have pretty much narrowed it down. It all depends on if I can get a job. What attracts me to North Port is what I here about it being a newer area, not too far from beach (20 mins/miles?) Close to Sarasota where I visit yearly and am familiar with. Sounds like it is family community. Decent (good) schools. I research on city data, internet, craigslist. I would like to communicate with others from the area or others who are considering moving there!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 PM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
Been awhile since I posted but I am still around and looking to move to Florida, still unsure of area. My biggest fear is not whether I am going to like Florida or not but if I am going to like my new job. The hardest part of moving I am finding is the unknown. I am comfortable at my current employers and the thought of starting over is a little scary. We are still looking towards the south.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM

76 posts, read 330,214 times
Well I for sure have a job lined up they keep asking when I am coming back. :-) can't wait but I am playing it smart.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
FLBoy123 good luck, I dont think I will have a problem finding a job in the field I am in but it is the idea of what if I dont like the place, people etc. You know what if it isnt a good fit. I remember once when I moved to Columbus when I was young I worked at a Bally's fitness club and because of my strong southern accent I found myself the punchline of many jokes. I never did really "fit in" as you would say because everyone working there was already so clicky. I felt like I was back in high school

Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 AM

76 posts, read 330,214 times
Yeah I hear ya , When I first moved to Fort Lauderdale I felt veryyy weird and didn't fit in at all took some tme. It never felt home for a while and I got picked on for the SLIGHT country accent I have. But you just need to ignore the idiots and just tell yourself it is what you want. Good Luck to ya

Old 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I'm from St. Louis, Missouri.

I'm undecided as to where in Florida I might move. Somewhere with a decent job market would be a start.

The weather attracts me to Florida. Nine months of winter up here sucks and causes severe depression in me due to seasonal affective disorder.

I am just in the beginning stages of researching Florida, that's why I'm HERE.

I hope to get some insight from people here on Florida.
I have the same problem SAD in the winter, bad in NJ but must be even worse in Missouri! I am just beginning to research Florida, too and am hoping for the same. I hope we can both figure it out! I am looking at Jupiter, FL, but am open to other suggestions. I need an area with decent schools and enough young people to have somewhat of a night life ( I am a single mother late 30's and don't want to be surrounded by retirees only, I want a good mix).

Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,538 times
I'm in Jersey too!! My fiance's family is in Pensacola. He left a decent job and his family to come up here to be with me. Its been a year and there's nothing in his field. I'm an RN specializing in addictions and recovery, so I have work anywhere. Right now we're paying $1900/mo for 3br 1b and that's considered cheap here! We won't even mention winter....
We are planning to move to Navarre in July 2009. I have spend DAYS researching the schools, crime rates, community profile, cost of living, etc and Navarre has EVERYTHING we are looking for: Relatively safe, shore community, not too expensive, several places nearby for both of us to work, excellent schools and close to family. I have never been there personally, but I trust my fiance. We will probably take a trip down this summer so the kids and I can see it first hand.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Default We want to move to Florida!!

What are you from? UK

Where in Florida are you moving?
Rotonda (we have land there and hope to start building our home this year)

What attracts you to Florida?
the americans!, the wonderful weather, Mamas Restaurant!, the way that your country is run compared to the UK with our ridiculous taxes and rising costs, (our gas is currently just over $5 a gallon...)

What research did you do or have already done to pick your city or location? Have been staying in Rotonda for last 10 years when we come for vacation, have met new friends who live in the area.

Did you spend time in that town in person? yep

Did you communicate with people who live their personally? yep

we can't wait to move ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida