Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM

422 posts, read 412,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

By the way, I thought this thread was about bagels, not New York or its water. BTW, I like NYC a lot. It's just much too expensive and way too crowded for me, but it's a great city.
The reason this subject got brought up is because apparently there is a bagel shop in Tampa run by a new yorker who imports his water from NYC because it supposedly "tastes better".

And the OP in his title says hes a New Yorker who moved to florida and is searching for bagels, so its all relevant. Although I dont get why NYers think if they announce themselves as "New Yorkers" people will automatically give a crap. People from Jersey and Ohio also do this. Noone gives a ****** where you are from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
NY water smells bad.
Sea water does. Drinking water does not. How would u know anyway? you've never been there.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
No there is no "poked your" issue here. Just that if you knew how bad the East River truly was you'd never even suggest it as a source of water. Plus, it's salt water (not even fresh). It was a fair comment back.

As a tidal strait, the East River (which ironically isn't a river) gets its crap from Long Island sound, the Bronx River and so on. The reason why NYC has to get its water from so far upstate is likely due to hundreds of years of pollution. I believe until a few years ago it was labeled as "dangerous" for pretty much any activity which is why you don't see anyone out there.
I think the East River's reputation is well known, apparently what isn't immediately obvious about my post about the East River was that I meant it entirely as a tongue-in cheek comment. I didn 't know where NYCs drinking water came from till my husband told me, but my remarks were meant as a facetious response to those touting the "pure" nature of NY water.

So now my husband tells me its not just the pollution in those waterways around NYC that make it necessary to get drinking water from upstate, it's also the shear magnitude of the population there. I will have to read more about it.

He's looking at an online quality report right now for drinking water for somewhere in the NYC area. He's laughing, seems it isn't so great. I will have to look over his shoulder.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:31 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Although I dont get why NYers think if they announce themselves as "New Yorkers" people will automatically give a crap. People from Jersey and Ohio also do this. Noone gives a ****** where you are from!
It's kind of a social norm when introducing yourself to state your name, where are you from, and where you are going (both literally and figuratively speaking). Those 3 things are fundamental building blocks of one's "story".

Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
It's kind of a social norm when introducing yourself to state your name, where are you from, and where you are going (both literally and figuratively speaking). Those 3 things are fundamental building blocks of one's "story".
Doubtful, people in Vermont dont say "hey there! Im Mike im from New Hampshire no find me a pizza parlor cause this town sucks!". I'm sure its only in southern states because transplants want to feel welcomed although NOBODY ASKED!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I'm on LI. The water here is meh. Not horrible but it does taste and smell chlorinish at times.
Occasionally it's real bad and smells like my pool.
The water on the East End(Hamptons, etc) is mostly well water and is noticeably different.
Tastes like when you get a mouth full of water swimming in the lake.
Upstate NY water is similar.
Can't recall last time I drank NYC water. Probably been 20 years, maybe more.
I avoid NYC like the plague.

I do not notice any taste difference between NYC bagels vs LI bagels.
Nor did I ever notice a difference with out of state bagels. To me bagels taste like bagels.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think the East River's reputation is well known, apparently what isn't immediately obvious about my post about the East River was that I meant it entirely as a tongue-in cheek comment.
It was obvious to me! That's because I've probably seen every Law and Order episode twice. There are several episodes in which a suspect gives an address and they find out it's fake, "in the middle of the East River." There were often wisecracks about its cleanliness, especially when Jerry Orbach was on the show. Of course, that was back in the 90s.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It was obvious to me! That's because I've probably seen every Law and Order episode twice. There are several episodes in which a suspect gives an address and they find out it's fake, "in the middle of the East River." There were often wisecracks about its cleanliness, especially when Jerry Orbach was on the show. Of course, that was back in the 90s.
Interesting, never watched L&O so I would have missed the references. There were always local predictions though that said at some point the East River would be on fire like the Cuyahoga in the 50's and 60's.

And if anyone was ever wondering if people went to the beach on the East River, ironically the answer is "yes".

Bagels or no bagels I prefer my local beaches...

Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Bagels or no bagels I prefer my local beaches...
im sure you do...

Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
im sure you do...
I'm not in Tampa. I hear though that the plants are a good place to see manatees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida