Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 34,014 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was directed here after scouring the internet for research on warmer climates to move to for our family. We are a family of 3, with an 8 year old son. We currently reside in the upper peninsula of Michigan in a place known as "big snow country." By the way, we HATE snow and we have it for approximately 7 months out of the year. We are definitely sun worshipers and we don't belong in this area, yet due to family, unforeseen circumstances, life, being born here, etc. we have lived here our whole lives. We are TOTALLY DONE with it and ready for a major change!
We have taken vacations to the Gulf Coast in Florida to keep our sanity for the last 2 years. We visited Clearwater Beach and Siesta Key. We love the climate of both- obviously! Not sure that we are devoted to move to Florida for sure as it's just SO far away from the rest of the country, but we are not opposed to it either. We are looking for a place that gets a LOT of sun throughout the year, a good school system, low crime rate and a lot of culture and activities. I am still in my 20s (barely!) and we live where there is NOTHING to do besides snow shoe and cross country ski, and though we love outdoor activity, snow is just NOT our idea of fun.
We would also be looking for an area that doesn't have too high a cost of living. I own and instruct at a dance studio here and my hubby works for the city. Not sure if I would try to open another studio when we relocate or if I would teach for an existing studio, but arts & culture in the area are important to me.
We live about 20 minutes from Lake Superior, so we would really like to be somewhere near a body of water- one that we can use more than 1 month a year when it's warm enough unlike Lake Superior! We love the beach style of life, but I'm sure we wouldn't be able to afford living too close to the beach. We are also only accustomed to the "natural disaster" of blizzards, which are not too threatening if you're used to it, so I'm not sure how keen we are in being in a high-risk hurricane related area. I heard, however, that if you go to far inland, the summers' are unbearably hot/humid. We're looking for a balance of warmish weather year round. Considering it hits -30 here pretty regularly in the winter, any temps above 40 would be amazing!
Any advice is greatly appreciated! We have NO clue how to just pick a place to live!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM

555 posts, read 892,863 times
Since you have a child, you might want to start with school rankings and crime rates (generally higher in Florida, as far as I can tell). There are multiple websites that look at cost of living, climate, health risks, crime, unemployment, and even voting records.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
You'll definitely want a southern coastal area if your prefer some form of balance of weather and coastal in general for fresher air in the summer, however coastal areas can be quite expensive and prone to higher insurance cost due to risk of storm damage/flooding. The highest risk areas are SE Florida (from around Vero Beach to the Keys), SW Florida (Fort Myers-Cape Coral-Naples) and the Panhandle area (Pensacola-Fort Walton Beach). NE Florida (Jacksonville to Palm Coast) has the lowest risk area for storms, followed by the Tampa Bay area. Crime rates are basically a waste of time and not representative of an area in general as they're compiled by zip code. Here in Florida (and the South in general) our high crime areas are very compartmentalized into typically one or two bad neighborhoods per zip code spread out over 20 to 30 square miles. I supposedly live in a high crime zip code (one of the worst), yet 2/3 to 3/4 of it are graphed as low/lower crime within the zip code and features the best school district in the entire metro area. So if one omitted it based on crime stats alone they would miss out on not only some great neighborhoods, but some of the best schools in the state. Based on desiring more balanced weather year-round, coastal areas yet lower risk from potential storms and quality schools along with a decent cost of living with proximity to a good number of jobs you're on the right track in the Tampa Bay area, especially in a place like Seminole (just north of St Petersburg) or a bit further north in Palm Harbor (north of Clearwater). Both have excellent public schools are safer, family-friendly areas just off the coast.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 PM

29 posts, read 34,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You'll definitely want a southern coastal area if your prefer some form of balance of weather and coastal in general for fresher air in the summer, however coastal areas can be quite expensive and prone to higher insurance cost due to risk of storm damage/flooding. The highest risk areas are SE Florida (from around Vero Beach to the Keys), SW Florida (Fort Myers-Cape Coral-Naples) and the Panhandle area (Pensacola-Fort Walton Beach). NE Florida (Jacksonville to Palm Coast) has the lowest risk area for storms, followed by the Tampa Bay area. Crime rates are basically a waste of time and not representative of an area in general as they're compiled by zip code. Here in Florida (and the South in general) our high crime areas are very compartmentalized into typically one or two bad neighborhoods per zip code spread out over 20 to 30 square miles. I supposedly live in a high crime zip code (one of the worst), yet 2/3 to 3/4 of it are graphed as low/lower crime within the zip code and features the best school district in the entire metro area. So if one omitted it based on crime stats alone they would miss out on not only some great neighborhoods, but some of the best schools in the state. Based on desiring more balanced weather year-round, coastal areas yet lower risk from potential storms and quality schools along with a decent cost of living with proximity to a good number of jobs you're on the right track in the Tampa Bay area, especially in a place like Seminole (just north of St Petersburg) or a bit further north in Palm Harbor (north of Clearwater). Both have excellent public schools are safer, family-friendly areas just off the coast.
Thank you for so much info! Have you by chance been anywhere farther up north? We were also considering South Carolina but we just haven't been anywhere in the US really besides vacationing twice in Florida and realizing that there is more to life than sub zero temps and being buried in snow.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,454,542 times
If you need jobs- make getting them a priority and work around that.
I cannot stress that enough.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyhellen View Post
Thank you for so much info! Have you by chance been anywhere farther up north? We were also considering South Carolina but we just haven't been anywhere in the US really besides vacationing twice in Florida and realizing that there is more to life than sub zero temps and being buried in snow.
All in all it might be a better option for you as it's less expensive (and less crowded) generally speaking in South Carolina. Winters are colder but it's not even a third of what you get most likely currently, and certainly much shorter. I think it tends to be friendlier too. There are four distinct areas in SC to choose from with the coastal areas around Charleston and Myrtle Beach, the central part of the state around Columbia (the state capital and college town with the U of South Carolina's presence), the suburbs at the NC state line bordering Charlotte and the upcountry area on the NW side around Greenville/Spartanburg. If you're looking to strike a good bit of winter from your life I would avoid the Greenville/Spartanburg area which is at higher altitude in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with quite a bit of winter weather from November through March. In terms of jobs, amenities and good schools it's hard to beat the Charlotte suburbs in SC of Fort Mill and Clover which are in the top three school districts in all of SC. Some prefer the coastal areas for obvious reasons and the Charleston area in particular has been booming with growth/job demand and has some great family-friendly areas in towns lie Mount Pleasant and Summerville which also have very good schools. I would have to say my favorite is the Columbia area which is geographically centered 90 minutes from the coast, mountains or Charlotte. It's a pretty area with lots of trees, rolling hills and beautiful Lake Murray just outside of town. It has plenty going on as the state capital and as a major college town, plus has been seeing significant economic growth (and jobs) along with a cost of living at or below the national average. Places like Forest Acres and Blythewood are great for families and have top-rated public schools too. Forest Acres is my favorite as it's closest to downtown Columbia as it's just 3 miles NE yet feels much further out with all of it's greenspace and suburban feel. It also has all of the nicer retail/restaurants/grocery stores nearby. Of the places I have visited Columbia was definitely the friendliest and most transplant friendly seemingly. Hope all of this helped! I have pretty heavily investigated South Carolina for my own relocation so can share more information if needed. Feel free to send me a direct message! : )

Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 AM

555 posts, read 892,863 times
Quote:
. Here in Florida (and the South in general) our high crime areas are very compartmentalized into typically one or two bad neighborhoods per zip code spread out over 20 to 30 square miles. I supposedly live in a high crime zip code (one of the worst), yet 2/3 to 3/4 of it are graphed as low/lower crime within the zip code and features the best school district in the entire metro area. So if one omitted it based on crime stats alone they would miss out on not only some great neighborhoods, but some of the best schools in the state.
Good to remember, Kyle. It has been a long time since I lived in Florida, but the same was true of Toledo ZIP codes when we lived there.

Now that we are considering relocation in retirement, we try to drill down into actual police incident reports for specific neighborhoods.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
This is a spot on post. Very informative and accurate. One of the biggest things I notice, which increases crime rates, are crimes of opportunity....such as people having cell phones and such taken from an unlocked car. In many areas, the crime rate would drop dramatically if they just locked their car doors and shut the garage door. It certainly is not like violent crime is a major issue in most areas. Seeing is believing, so taking a tour would make things pretty obvious.....simply by how certain areas are kept up or trashed.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM

499 posts, read 586,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
This is a spot on post. Very informative and accurate. One of the biggest things I notice, which increases crime rates, are crimes of opportunity....such as people having cell phones and such taken from an unlocked car. In many areas, the crime rate would drop dramatically if they just locked their car doors and shut the garage door. It certainly is not like violent crime is a major issue in most areas. Seeing is believing, so taking a tour would make things pretty obvious.....simply by how certain areas are kept up or trashed.
I am amazed by this in Wellington. Coming from NYC area, it was just common sense to not leave valuables in absolute plain view and to lock your car doors. It seems like nearly every crime I read about in town is theft from unlocked vehicles. Some thieves get pretty good hauls, too - designer bags, hundreds in cash, ipads, laptops.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,454,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I am amazed by this in Wellington. Coming from NYC area, it was just common sense to not leave valuables in absolute plain view and to lock your car doors. It seems like nearly every crime I read about in town is theft from unlocked vehicles. Some thieves get pretty good hauls, too - designer bags, hundreds in cash, ipads, laptops.
My good friend/neighbor moved here 2 years ago from Long Island.
Had expensive bicycle she insisted on leaving outside.
Her logic was that, you couldn't see it from the street.
Which you couldn't.

Being here 20 years, I obviously told her it wasn't a good idea.
Sure enough, it was stolen.
I felt so bad for her, but at the same time, she invited it.

Too many people, when they move to Florida, assume it's just like where they came from, only warmer.

Florida is in a league of its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida