Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 PM

126 posts, read 341,326 times

Advertisements

Karen tks for your input. But to me seeing the country is such a plus .We can alway's buy a house down the road if we choose to .But as far a housing I would not touch one at this time.IMHO I am doing better renting and I love the freedom . We at one time thought about going back to our old area but investors made a mess of the area . IMHO I would have to wait until this market flushes out FOR ME TO BUY AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
I know what you mean; I hear that a lot. In the last quarter, I helped several people with rentals. Some said they could buy with cash today and some couldn't afford the mortgage requirements at this time. There are lots of choices and some really nice rental opportunities. I've just never been a renter and I'm a coward.

I know a Sarasota RE Broker who left her golf front home a year ago to build a new home in Tennessee near the Cumberland Plateau. The new home was finished last summer. She called me last month and said they had put the Tennessee home on the market and had bought a 40+ft Beaver. She called me again last week, and they're parked in Largo, Florida and spending time on the East Bay Golf Course. She said they're having the time of their lives.

We had a great time in the motor home. You never have to sleep on anyone else's bed and wonder who slept there the night before. It's really weird riding down the highway standing in the kitchen fixing a snack. And we only used the rest stops to walk the dog and stretch our legs. And just think, you only have to pack once!

I really enjoyed the slower pace of life and it seemed like every person we met was really nice and willing to lend a helping hand. In Florida, there are many nice places to park; particularly one place near Orlando, and another way down south on the ocean (can't remember the name). Living in Tampa, it's easy to do those one-tank weekend trips and we did that a lot, too.

I also enjoyed the beaches around Gulfport, Mississippi (hubby likes black jack) and the Mississippi River around New Orleans. We have relatives and friends in Tennessee and Georgia, so we we had to stop in there, too.

I know RVing isn't for everybody, but I'm blessed to have the opportunity. Life is just too short!

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-17-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
If you do this, let me welcome you to the full-timing family.

We have been full-timing in our RV for 5 years now, and the best piece of advice I can give someone new to RVing is to choose your rig according to YOUR needs. While a fiver (fifth wheel) has more living room and can be considerably cheaper, your tow vehicle can also be your everyday vehicle, etc., take-down, set-up, etc. can be more involved. We started with a tag trailer, then a 37 foot fiver... now a motorhome. When it comes to moving down the road and really "seeing" the country, a motorhome is the way to go.

The best thing you can do is figure out "how" you are going to travel (stay in one place a while then move on, or move around almost constantly?) then pick your floorplan (how many slides? front or rear kitchen? BR size? amount of storage space needed?) then have fun shopping! Shopping for an RV is a very fun yet tiring experience since there are so many types, brands, and floorplans.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM

126 posts, read 341,326 times
Tks for the advice aus 10 AND EVERYONE ELSE Karen we live in Windermere FL,so I know about the one tank gas trips lots of fun

Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
you will love it, we spent 17 years as full timers, great life, wonderful people

Old 06-30-2008, 04:03 PM

101 posts, read 272,205 times
Default great thread- we are planning on doing this next year

I have some questions- my hubby will be retiring at 46 we have 2 boys and 2 dogs, we homeschool already so that's not a problem...i guess our problem would be where to call "homebase". We would need somewhere for mail and such- what do you do in this case. We'd like to tour around the south and hope to eventually find a home in florida but not for a while.

I am thinking a travel trailer w/ bunkhouse is the way to go- we use to have one several years ago- but many ppl tell us 5th wheels are better...any suggestions?

We may also look for work as we travel too- that sounds neat.

thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM

137 posts, read 425,277 times
I've owned many an RV. I agree with the poster who said buy from a private seller. What I've found is if you get one that is a couple of years old, that owner has worked out any issues (even new ones have issues). If you're lucky you have found one, where the little woman was a designer in a preivous life and had decorated the trailer or motor home with gorgeous window treatments and bath accessories. The last one I bought was just that. The husband was going blind andthe wife was afraid to drive the big rig. I was able to pick it up at half its worth. Of course I felt badly for the couple, but if you are in the south, there must be dozens of deals like this.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Airstream is the only way to go for extended period of time. With a winter package a 31- 34 foot with or with out slide out are very nice for 1-2 people and a small pet.
Most people now are buying a 450-550 Ford truck with either dual or single rear tire set up and putting a flat bed on them. Then they buy a small 4 cylinder car new or used. When you get where your going set up the trailer - roll off the car - park the truck. The only time you would burn fuel is when your on the move. Most people stay 3-6 months at their site and most RV campground give you a break on extended stay. If you look at RV Trader their are hundreds of 1--3 year old Airstreams in Florida. People from up north retire hit the road and come to Florida, year later their in a Nursing Home or in the ground. The spouse now sells that $135k Airstream for all most half.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 PM

54 posts, read 317,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
you also need to think about the price of gas and the mileage you would get from a motor home, if gas keeps going up it may become cheaper to drive a car and pay for a motel,..
At what price gas will this happen?
Don't forget:
Motels, restaurants, and keeping a home base will be at an increased price too!

How do you put a price on the enjoyment of all the comforts of home? You want to compared this to motels, you need to talk to people who are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida